Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

So what can be done to beef up the transmission to handle the abuse?
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Yeah it's pretty expensive, so if it can be repaired you can go that route but I would save up for the billet stuff because they are rating it to hold up to 2000 horsepower LOL. The company is called Alfateh (Probillet Engineering) you can find them on facebook. I think they were offering a package deal for the billet housing and billet transfer case for $2900. Its pretty expensive but I will say this I cracked my bell housing on my regular b-series trans so I bought the billet bell housing for my car and have never had an issue ever again.
I'm surprised Joe (locash) hasn't made a billet CRV housing yet.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dswervin
Wish I'd have read through this thread a couple weeks ago, that billet housing group buy was a steal I'd have considered for my build. I'm right next to that Washington shop they call Speedfactory, which by the way is considered THE Honda shop in the Pacific Northwest. They are indeed running the fastest FWD civic in the world, 2000+hp B series billet block running 7.47 @ 215mph. But SFWD is for the OG crowd imo. AWD is on everyone's minds these days, hence my sitting here reading this 22 page graphic novel of legitimate Honda gold at 4am on a Sunday night.

But anyway, nice work on the build man. I'll be following for updates on that billet bellhousing, I'm sure you'll let us know how it shakes out.

Carry on.
Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad this caught your attention enough for a full read. I tend to forget how long this thread is now. We've come a long way. I pretty much document everything here on the Civic, so you can bet there will be pics up of the breath taking billet aluminum parts the day I receive them. In the mean time I will be working on installing an engine harness from Wireworx and gathering the parts for the trans. Down time can be a bitch, but what can you do?

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So what can be done to beef up the transmission to handle the abuse?
I talked to the guys over at Synchrotech today and they referred me to Drag Cartel. They said they are working on a gear kit, shift forks and billet aluminum t case for the SBXM, but it's still another four months out. I plan on having the Civic running before then, so I may just look into shot peening the gears for now. Besides, Drag Cartel's gear kits run $5-6000. I'm going to need some sponsorship to be laying down cash like that just on a transmission. ****, just for the gears! If I can just purchase the counter shaft alone, I may consider that. I'm starting to think that is what failed first in my trans and caused the rest of the damage.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Re: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Good Luck with the build! cant wait to see how it turns out.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98LudeJS
Good Luck with the build! cant wait to see how it turns out.
Yeah, neither can I.... Thanks!

I also started looking into cryogenic treatment and it sounds like that could really strengthen the OEM parts up pretty well. I'm still wondering which is the better bang for the buck, shot peening vs. cryo. Anybody have any input on these two processes? Love to hear it.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't read all of this yet, I need to go over it with a fine toothcomb to help me with mine, I'm in the UK so a shuttle is out of the question for bits so I bought a full working CRV, was a shame to strip it as it was an honest car but needs must....
I'm guessing you still have the car?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, still have the Civic. Going to be down for a bit though till I figure out the best and most cost effective way to strengthen up the transmission. Also waiting on the bell housing and t case. Always a work in progress. Good luck with your build. There is some great info in this thread that will help you along the way.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DarryCar
Yep, still have the Civic. Going to be down for a bit though till I figure out the best and most cost effective way to strengthen up the transmission. Also waiting on the bell housing and t case. Always a work in progress. Good luck with your build. There is some great info in this thread that will help you along the way.
Is it bad I printed this thread off for hardcopy to flick through to determine how I want to do my build?
Old 02-14-2019, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah, I'm sure I printed some stuff out that was helpful during my build. Good to have hard copies too, especially of pictures. Never know when they won't be there anymore.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-10-2019, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

That sounds pretty nice. Is that the route you're considering?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
That sounds pretty nice. Is that the route you're considering?
Yep, I put my order in about a month and a half ago. Expecting it to show up somewhere around the end of April.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, these are the pieces that will be made from scratch using billet steel. This should help avoid another catastrophe like the one I just had. Still debating as to whether I should have everything else WPC treated for added insurance. Also looking into Speedfacfory’s SCHA, but damn that’s another $500 for that thing. Might be worth it though at this point. Don’t want to have to keep rebuilding this thing every year.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-31-2019, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have one reserved yet?
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, put my order in almost two months ago. Should be getting it by the end of this month.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again big props man ! I have been watching you're trials with this awd very closely . I tip my hat to you . I plan on doing this to my Dc2 . My power is currently at 782whp and over 535lbs of torque . This is why i haven't tried it yet . I only want to do it once . I'll spend the dough as long as i know the stuff will hold up . Great thread !
Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Hell yeah, stoked to see that PTE bell housing get assembled!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joe b
Again big props man ! I have been watching you're trials with this awd very closely . I tip my hat to you . I plan on doing this to my Dc2 . My power is currently at 782whp and over 535lbs of torque . This is why i haven't tried it yet . I only want to do it once . I'll spend the dough as long as i know the stuff will hold up . Great thread !
There really isn't a fool proof recipe out there for an indestructible AWD build. Every build is different and it's all about trial and error. Even the speed shops with endless resources and access to top of the line part end up braking things. Especially with over 700 whp and all that torque, you're bound to find a weak point somewhere. Honestly I'm pretty shocked that the trans went before the stock rear axles did. I thought for sure those were going to be the first thing that went. But that's exactly my point, you just never know till you try it out. I'm just hoping I don't ever grenade the trans again like I did with the amount of work and $$ I am putting into it now. I'll take axles braking all day, hahahaha.

Originally Posted by DaX
Hell yeah, stoked to see that PTE bell housing get assembled!
Yeah, I'm pretty excited too. I check Facebook on the daily for updates. It's been a long wait, but this should be the last bell housing I will ever need, and it will also strengthen the internals by not allowing any flex with torsional loads. I'm still running pretty modest whp/tq numbers, so I shouldn't have any more trans problems after this build. Still considering the WPC treatment for the rest of the internals.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-04-2019, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting close!....

Old 04-04-2019, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

That's a work of art right there!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's beautiful!!!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now were talking !!!!!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Did you see that PBE is looking to make a billet rear diff housing now also?

Another question - why isn't this in the AWD section of the forum?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Did you see that PBE is looking to make a billet rear diff housing now also?

I did, but it is only for the Civic Wagovan rear diff for now. I'm kind of surprised they would start with that rear diff casing as it is made out of steel from the factory. It does make sense because those parts are getting harder and more expensive to come by. The CR-V rear diff casing is all aluminum, so I can see them producing that in the near future. For another $1050.00 though, I'll wait till I blow up the factory one first.

Another question - why isn't this in the AWD section of the forum?
I started this project back in 2015 and the AWD forum just recently opened up. Can't believe it's taken this long really. I've chimed in a couple of times in various threads and I guess I could move this thread over there... It's been here for so long and it's funny because when I started this I really had no idea where to put it. It almost ended up in the Fabrication section. Would have been nice to have an AWD forum back then.

Quick Reply: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!