Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Originally Posted by ssmrico
I just went back to page 1 and back up. wow forgot how much attention to detail was on this built wow. let me just send u my trans and diff and u beef it up for me before I put it on lmaooo
Well thanks for checking it out again. I do try my best to keep everything as clean as possible, still never seems to be perfect though. I had to send my diff out to for it's makeover, so it wouldn't do you any good sending it to me.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** came up this week, so I had to cancel my retune. I was hoping to have it tuned and then ready for the drift/drag event this Saturday. Moving has once again gotten in the way of everything... I need to get it don
Old 05-08-2018, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soon enough u will. I'm going to have my trans rebuilt and the t case checked and get an lsd and run the rest as is and see how it does
Old 05-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not going to do #Hashtags, but...
New tune
one of my best friends in town
Ran out of turbo
9200 RPM
Old 05-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Got video and numbers?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's not letting me upload the videos. Says they are too big. I forgot to get printouts before I left and the guys over at BMR only sent me two. This isn't the best run either. Best run was 559whp and 429tq on the T85. This is the first time I've used a roller dyno and my buddy says that the numbers run slightly lower than the dyno jets. This is only a 10hp improvement, but this is at 23psi rather than 29psi. On the E54 we got 509whp @ 21psi, which is a big improvement over the previous 488 @ 26 psi. You can see the GTX30 is chocking up. It's time to go bigger as there is so much more room now with the new cams and headword. I am happy with the results. I knew the turbo was maxed out, but I still wanted to see what it would do. Now that I can that I can rev this thing out to 9200 RPMs, I should fly through the traps. It sounds nasty way up there and the guys at BMR were pretty impressed with it. That's saying something when they dyno tune GTRs pushing over 1400 hp and other ridiculous rides. Kind of cool. Makes all the hard work, long ours, and hair pulling worth it. I'm excited to get her back to the track and see what we can do!!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good numbers! Maybe you could upload the video to youtube and put a link in here?
Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Good numbers! Maybe you could upload the video to youtube and put a link in here?
Great idea! Actually that's how I've always had to do it, and I just totally forgot all of the sudden. We are only reving out to 8800 rpm at this point. I didn't take a video of the 9200 rpm pull. We only did one at 9200 at the very end. It's not making anymore power really over 8400 anyways. I did manage to record the best pull of the day though and even got a shot of the graph for it at the end. That's my buddy Alex Fuller, the Mad Scientist behind the wheel doing the fine tuning. He mostly tunes BMWs and even cracks the ECUs on them. He has put together a wicked coil pack setup for most of the BMW inline sixes and is currently working on writing the code to make the BMW ECU allow for flex fuel capabilities. He's one smart cookie, so if you know anyone who is into BMWs, tell them to check him out on Facebook at Bimmer Life Tuning. He lives out in Atlanta now and works at Markert Motorworks.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's pretty sweet! When do you think you'll be able to get it to the track?

So he happened to be in Arizona for a visit? That worked out pretty well for you.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not quite sure yet when I can make it ou to the track yet. Still working on the move and the new place. We weren’t able to fine tune some of the small drivability parts due to factory smoke being let out of the alternator wire. We got off of the dyno to do some tuning on the street, and smoke started coming from the glove box, which is where I relocated the under hood fuse box. I forgot to put the gromet back on the firewall where all of the wires from the engine bay comes through. Pretty sure the firewall started cutting through and grounding out the alt wire. Pretty scary for a moment. Wouldn’t blow a fuse and just started melting everything. We unplugged the battery and moved the alt cable a little bit. Needless to say we were done for the day.
Once I fix that issue, then I will drive it and send my buddy some datalogs and he can remote tune the rest. He was going to tune the Civic before he left in the beginning of January, but I just couldn’t get it back together in time. Just so happens that I got it all back together and put some brake-in miles on the head and cams right before he was coming back out here. Ended up working out. He was happy to tune it too. He wanted to play around with the Hondata. WIN WIN!!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! Glad it didn't turn out worse than it did!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What part of as are you in? I’m down in Tucson, up in phx occasionally. I’ll keep an eye out for this car.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I know it's been a while. I still haven't gotten the Civic to the track as of yet. I've been so damn busy with the new place and it's been too damn hot anyways. I have however been messing around with the tune on the Hondata. I just got part throttle dialed in and have been working on the idle, which has proven to be a bitch. I'm trying to get the idle down below 1200 rpm and am having a hell of a time accomplishing it. On top of that, the idle surges up and down after driving it a few blocks. I've tried to set the idle per Hondata, but have had no luck. The engine dies when I unplug the IAC, which Hondata says is due to the port being plugged, and it isn't. I have to keep the duty cycle in Smanager all the way up or the engine will die. I removed the Skunk2 TB and cut a little bit out of the gasket to allow more air for the IAC. I think that started to help, but while messing with the parameters in Smanager, the engine started acting up. Wasn't sure what the hell was going on until I turned the engine off and tried to start it again. Alternator decided to finally quit on me. It's a 19 year old alternator and the power wire did just recently go up in smoke on me, so it is understandable. At this point I am no longer happy with how I have ran my wire tuck and it is also somewhat dangerous, so I decided to go with a custom Milspec engine harness from Wireworx. It's a good investment as I have hacked away at my engine harness over the years and I am sick of busting my *** trying to route it through the firewall whenever I have to pull the engine. It will be nice to have the harness squared away.

So I have a new alternator on the way. Going out of town this week too, so I will not get back to the Civic for another couple of weeks. Always something. Oh, and my brand new Skunk2 Pro 74mm TB is sticking/hanging when the engine warms up. So annoying!!! I've tried to contact Skunk2 about it and have gotten no reply. They say they will get back to you within 24 hours. Pshhhht, maybe if you are trying to make a purchase. It's been two weeks and still haven't heard from them. Nice...
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SICK!! Post some videos of it doing some pulls on the road.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All 21 pages in 6hours. WOW this all rocks! Seriously great work man. I know you're having some tuning issues and it always sucks when the car isn't running right. Stay with with it and keep up the great work.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ssmrico
nice!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Esteves407
SICK!! Post some videos of it doing some pulls on the road.
Got a couple somewhere here in this thread, but I'll get some more up when I get to the track. I think a roll cage will be coming soon and then I can set up a GoPro in the cab.

Originally Posted by QuietOne
All 21 pages in 6hours. WOW this all rocks! Seriously great work man. I know you're having some tuning issues and it always sucks when the car isn't running right. Stay with with it and keep up the great work.
Dang, that's dedication! Hard to believe we've gotten up to 21 pages now and still sticking with it. Thanks for the compliments and checking out the thread. Yeah, I'll get through the tuning issues eventually. It's a work in progress, but I am glad that I am finally figuring out how to tune my own car. Bout damn time.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk2 has finally gotten back to me. They just sent me a label today so that I can return the throttle body. Of course they won't just send me a new one so that I can swap it out with little down time. Now I have to send it to them, they have to determine if they can fix it or not, and then they have to send it back to me. So who knows how long that will take. Wish they could have figured this all out last week before I left town. Still haven't had time to put the new alternator in, but I do have it now. Work the next four nights and then have to do some repairs to the GF's car. So hopefully I can get that alternator in by the end of next week. Then it's just a waiting game with Skunk2 and back to tuning...
Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

Get rid of all the junk2 crap. With as much time as you've put into the car you should know better than to use garbage like that.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
Get rid of all the junk2 crap. With as much time as you've put into the car you should know better than to use garbage like that.
You would think. The cams have actually turned out nice, but this throttle body debacle is pissing me off. I really don't have much of Skunk2's products on my car. It was an impulse buy and I was desperate for a new TB. The Erik's Racing was old and small. I didn't do my research into who makes a decent B-Series TB. That was my bad obviously.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The alpha series isn't supposed to stick as much as the pro series. I've got an alpha 70mm and it's ok, but I'll probably try a k-tuned next. I've got skunk2 cams and intake and they work fine.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very cool.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
The alpha series isn't supposed to stick as much as the pro series. I've got an alpha 70mm and it's ok, but I'll probably try a k-tuned next. I've got skunk2 cams and intake and they work fine.
I finally got the throttle body back, kind of stuck with it at the moment. Hopefully this one isn't a problem, but if it is...

Originally Posted by CivicEXHB18
Very cool.
Thank you sir!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!