Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

I'd love to, but that means dumping a bunch of money into it just to get it to pass tech. It's going to cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $4500 just to cage it. They are a bit more strict on the track then on the drag strip. And actually I'm surprised they keep letting me pass tech at the strip. No one has popped the hatch as of yet to look in the back.

Last edited by DarryCar; 05-15-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, over 1000 miles on the AWD set-up and still running strong. It's a bit hot here in AZ and she doesn't like to be boosted much in the middle of the day. Coolant temp starts to creep up on the highway. No A/C either, so I don't do much driving anyways. I think the c-clip on the inboard cv joint on one of the front axles has weakened, causing the axle to come out of the trans once in a while just enough to cause a minor leak. I also need to reseal the rear diff as it has a small leak as well. Other than that, pretty solid. Still a lot of fun to drive. Looking into getting some headwork done soon and probably moving from a .63 a/r hot side to a 1.06 on the GTX3076r. That's all the real updates for now. I'm still pretty amazed at how well this project worked out from start to finish. Although, projects are never really finished.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the continued updates. Keep up the awesome work!
Old 06-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

**** bro, how could you forget ac....in az.....dry whether
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just read through the whole thing, love AWD builds!!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jryKC
Thanks for the continued updates. Keep up the awesome work!
Thanks for checking in! Will do.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
**** bro, how could you forget ac....in az.....dry whether
Didn't forget the a/c, just don't have room for it anymore with the turbo set-up.

Originally Posted by b16bguy
Just read through the whole thing, love AWD builds!!
Happy to hear it. It's been fun putting this thing together, awesome driving it, and very cool that people have been interested in it. Thanks for tuning in!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not much for updates at this time. It's been hot as hell here, so I've only gotten the Civic out a hand full of times. The only enjoyable time to drive it is late at night when the ambient temps dip to the low to mid 90's. Even then, I'm only able to boost it under WOT a couple of times before the coolant temp gauge starts to creep up. Even with an oil cooler, the Fluidyne can't keep up for long on the cooling duties. Still fun to troll around on the highways late at night looking for trouble. I tried to get at a Viper the other night, but old man rivers behind the wheel wasn't having it.

I picked up a 1.06 a/r turbine housing for the 3076. I'm talking to Larry over at Endyn about working his magic and finally building the B16 head. I went with Skunk2 valve train and will be running their Pro1 cams. I've decided to leave the transmission alone for now. I want to see how much of a difference it makes rapping the RPMs past 9200. Excited to see what this thing will do with a built head. Excited to start driving it again. Couple more months and the weather will be tolerable again.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 AM
Fish Twig

cool
Old 09-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So start off with this is an amazing and very well documented build! (I just got done saving a PDF of every page of it lol)
The information you have provided in this will be a great help for me. (starting an AWD del Sol project this fall/winter). I was fortunate though to find a donor 5 speed CRV for dirt cheap and also have extra rear trailing arms from a del Sol I cut in half and was going to make into a trailer.
The direction you went with your trailing arms is what I was envisioning but I got concerned when i was prepping everything and was looking at my shock and soon to be location for a CV axle and wasn't sure it was going to fit and I really didn't want to chop out my entire middle sub frame. Alas though seeing the clearance with yours gives me a better understanding of what to expect. (starting more with rear being I have all the proper mounts for engines and trans) (thought about custom tubular trailing arms but seemed too much of a headache)
I don't really have a reasoning for doing my swap it's more or less i like to tinker and fabricate so i was like why not.. plus a little obsessed with del Sol's.

I was curious how have the rear caliper mounting plates been holding up? That was one thing i told everyone when i started gathering everything is its going to be disc brakes drums are just awful ugly and i hate them. (p.s I am a mechanic so my hate of drums stems a little bit from that haha)
THANK YOU again for taking the time to share in so much depth your project.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oFILLo

So start off with this is an amazing and very well documented build! (I just got done saving a PDF of every page of it lol)
The information you have provided in this will be a great help for me. (starting an AWD del Sol project this fall/winter). I was fortunate though to find a donor 5 speed CRV for dirt cheap and also have extra rear trailing arms from a del Sol I cut in half and was going to make into a trailer.
The direction you went with your trailing arms is what I was envisioning but I got concerned when i was prepping everything and was looking at my shock and soon to be location for a CV axle and wasn't sure it was going to fit and I really didn't want to chop out my entire middle sub frame. Alas though seeing the clearance with yours gives me a better understanding of what to expect. (starting more with rear being I have all the proper mounts for engines and trans) (thought about custom tubular trailing arms but seemed too much of a headache)
I don't really have a reasoning for doing my swap it's more or less i like to tinker and fabricate so i was like why not.. plus a little obsessed with del Sol's.

I was curious how have the rear caliper mounting plates been holding up? That was one thing i told everyone when i started gathering everything is its going to be disc brakes drums are just awful ugly and i hate them. (p.s I am a mechanic so my hate of drums stems a little bit from that haha)
THANK YOU again for taking the time to share in so much depth your project.
I too am a mechanic, so i understand where your are coming from regarding the drum setup. When i started this project, one of my main goals was to retain the rear disc setup which i had converted to a long time ago. From what I remember I ended up using something like 1/4 inch plate steel for the rear caliper brackets. I have had no problems with those whatsoever. They were pretty easy to make, but if you notice I am running a different rear rotor rather than the traditional offset factory Honda rotor. This doesn't matter as you just have to move the caliper bracket to accomitade the positioning of the rotor.

The rear axle to rear strut tower clearance is a little tricky. I to did not want to cut into and compromise the rear subframe at all. I run my ride height pretty low, thus limiting the space i had to mount the rear diff. By not cutting into the rear subframe, the rear diff has to sit quite a bit forward, which in turn causes the the axles angles to be extream. To my surprise the axles and diff have held up to a lot of demand that I have placed on it. The only thing that I have had trouble with is cv boots splitting on me. Because I had so much room for axles by placing the diff forward, I ended up using rear axles from a '02-06 CRV which are 1" longer on each side. This helped out tremendously, though I did just find out this week that the passenger side inner cv boot just started to split. I've patched it, but still may end up having to move the rear diff back even further to remedy this problem. I do still have a good 1-1 1/2" of clearance between the axles and the strut towers, but I will have to cut into the subframe to move the diff anymore. This next season of racing will determine if I want to go that route.

Kudos to to you for doing an AWD Del Sol!! I am a big fan of the Del Sol as I owned one for almost two decades. There is a write up on H-T of an AWD Del Sol, which I got huge amounts of help from while doing my project. Great R&D on that one and I suggest you look it up. Sorry I don't have the link for you. Easy to find though. Keep up the good work, and don't forget to share your experience and knowledge with all of us. I could not have completed my project with such success without the help of a lot of people at home and here on H-T, so I'm here to help if you have any questions. Best of luck and thank you for checking out my project.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply DarryCar good to hear the bracket has held up, I'm probably going to go a little thicker mainly so I can tap threads into the custom bracket. (have access to some CNC machining equipment)

I'm thinking mainly cause of the extra angles on the shafts probably cutting a chunk out the sub frame and reinforcing (ride height isn't an issue i keep mine near about stock height but having the diff tucked up and out of danger is nice).
Now do you think the 2nd gen CRV axles would be too long in a almost perfect aligned diff to hub arrangement? DO you have any issues with outer CV boots on 1st or 2nd gen axles hitting or slightly dragging on the shock or anything around there?

Hehe yeah I've read that one I'm assuming your talking about RallySol build AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap I've read all through that (and saved all the pages lol) but he went a different route with the rear trailing arms using partly the wagovan ones so the lower control arm point is in a different location.
I'm going to try and do what you did and document it to share on here when I'm close to done to give another perspective.

Thanks for your feedback and helpful advice!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

#!/bin/bash
wget https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/not-another-awd-civic-project-3268963/page{1..20}

An AWD Civic build is always a joy to watch... I have a concept for an AWD highway queen but I doubt it will ever come to fruition. Congratulations on the amazing build, thank you for the incredible documentation, and enjoy the ride!!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply DarryCar good to hear the bracket has held up, I'm probably going to go a little thicker mainly so I can tap threads into the custom bracket. (have access to some CNC machining equipment)

I'm thinking mainly cause of the extra angles on the shafts probably cutting a chunk out the sub frame and reinforcing (ride height isn't an issue i keep mine near about stock height but having the diff tucked up and out of danger is nice).
Now do you think the 2nd gen CRV axles would be too long in a almost perfect aligned diff to hub arrangement? DO you have any issues with outer CV boots on 1st or 2nd gen axles hitting or slightly dragging on the shock or anything around there?

Hehe yeah I've read that one I'm assuming your talking about RallySol build AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap I've read all through that (and saved all the pages lol) but he went a different route with the rear trailing arms using partly the wagovan ones so the lower control arm point is in a different location.
I'm going to try and do what you did and document it to share on here when I'm close to done to give another perspective.

Thanks for your feedback and helpful advice!
Yes, if you do decide to align the rear diff with the rear hubs you will have fitment issues using the 2nd gen CR-V axles. They are longer than the 1st gen axles and will bind up if you can even get everything to bolt up. I had this issue with my first setup when I tried to use two 1st gen driver side axles so that the diff would be centered. Even with the diff sitting forward, the axles where too long and would bind. You can however build your rear trailing arms with the hubs sticking out further to accept the extra length of the 2nd gen axles. I don't see a point in doing that unless you are looking for a wider tract in the rear to which you will have to widen the fenders to accept the tires sticking out further. To each their own.

The only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen rear axles is length. Everything else measures up the same, so the boots (inner and outer) are the same size. I have had issues with the outer boots rubbing against the strut towers. I resolved this by offsetting the lower mounts of the strut into the LCA. It's not the prettiest or even the best solution for clearance, but it has worked and is functional. The only other options I have found for clearance in that area is to completely relocate the rear strut mounting position (top and bottom), or remove the rear subframe and floor and weld in the CR-V rear subframe. Doing that though, you will have to utilize the CR-V rear LCAs, UCAs, struts, and at lease most of the rear trailing arms, which are quite a bit larger than the civic/del sol trailing arms. Going that route was way more work than I wanted to do, and I was worried about throwing the whole rear geometry of the Civic off. There's more than one way to skin a cat...
Old 09-28-2017, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
#!/bin/bash
wget https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/not-another-awd-civic-project-3268963/page{1..20}

An AWD Civic build is always a joy to watch... I have a concept for an AWD highway queen but I doubt it will ever come to fruition. Congratulations on the amazing build, thank you for the incredible documentation, and enjoy the ride!!
Well if you ever do, SHARE it with us! Thank you for checking out this thread and I will continue to enjoy this ride.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DarryCar
Yes, if you do decide to align the rear diff with the rear hubs you will have fitment issues using the 2nd gen CR-V axles. They are longer than the 1st gen axles and will bind up if you can even get everything to bolt up. I had this issue with my first setup when I tried to use two 1st gen driver side axles so that the diff would be centered. Even with the diff sitting forward, the axles where too long and would bind. You can however build your rear trailing arms with the hubs sticking out further to accept the extra length of the 2nd gen axles. I don't see a point in doing that unless you are looking for a wider tract in the rear to which you will have to widen the fenders to accept the tires sticking out further. To each their own.

The only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen rear axles is length. Everything else measures up the same, so the boots (inner and outer) are the same size. I have had issues with the outer boots rubbing against the strut towers. I resolved this by offsetting the lower mounts of the strut into the LCA. It's not the prettiest or even the best solution for clearance, but it has worked and is functional. The only other options I have found for clearance in that area is to completely relocate the rear strut mounting position (top and bottom), or remove the rear subframe and floor and weld in the CR-V rear subframe. Doing that though, you will have to utilize the CR-V rear LCAs, UCAs, struts, and at lease most of the rear trailing arms, which are quite a bit larger than the civic/del sol trailing arms. Going that route was way more work than I wanted to do, and I was worried about throwing the whole rear geometry of the Civic off. There's more than one way to skin a cat...
Hehe thank you very much yeah I was more curious cause I read in your early post beefier after market axles were only offered for the 2nd CRV's. I also feel you on the using the CRV sub frame I didn't want to hack apart my car that much, plus with the how I'm not using the trailing arms that are currently on my car I can put it all back to normal(stock) when I'm done if I hate it for some reason(minus a relocated fuel tank/cell). I will still however have the option because I've decided not to destroy the CRV trailing arms just in case down the road i want to do something with them.

Actually you probably wouldn't have to use all the CRV stuff just relocating LCA mount on your existing trailing arm(especially with how nice you made them) then moving sub frame and shock tower a little. Then BAM perfect diff alignment and no rubbing hehe. ( I know you got this under control please don't take this as me thinking you don't) Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dear god i burned my eyes reading this.
Maybe ill do my sol awd before forging my engine .You killed my brain.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a fun read. Very nice build. Keep it like it is. You put 4x14" drag slicks on that, and you will probably get black flagged, and or wreck stuff. Then you will need to cage it. It's nice as a street car i think. Can you use that other stock diff you have for daily driving, and better cornering? You ever try it to see how it behaves? I would really be itching to do that if it was mine.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to give you big props for this project . Some people don't realize just how much work is involved in a project like this . I have been considering doing this to my Dc2 Integra . I am worried though as i have 740 whp and over 530 lbs of torque . I have serious doubts that this kind of setup will last long in my car . Getting replacement parts for the b crv transmission is only going to get harder as time goes on . I will be watching you close to see how you do with it . Big Props !!!!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Dear god i burned my eyes reading this.
Maybe ill do my sol awd before forging my engine .You killed my brain.
Sorry, but not really. Hell, I even go back from time to time and reread this blog. Sometimes I forget what I actually did on something and find myself searching through here. Pisses me off though when I can't remember exactly where it is. It's a lot of pages to go through!! Haha.

Originally Posted by Doodasi
That was a fun read. Very nice build. Keep it like it is. You put 4x14" drag slicks on that, and you will probably get black flagged, and or wreck stuff. Then you will need to cage it. It's nice as a street car i think. Can you use that other stock diff you have for daily driving, and better cornering? You ever try it to see how it behaves? I would really be itching to do that if it was mine.
Ya, no way 14s are fitting on this thing with the brakes I'm running, and a good cage will run about $4k at least. Not quite ready for that expense, but maybe one day... I only have the one diff, rear one that is. I keep telling myself I need to pick up a spare, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I would love to track this thing, but that is a whole other ball game, and again, a cage.

Originally Posted by joe b
I have to give you big props for this project . Some people don't realize just how much work is involved in a project like this . I have been considering doing this to my Dc2 Integra . I am worried though as i have 740 whp and over 530 lbs of torque . I have serious doubts that this kind of setup will last long in my car . Getting replacement parts for the b crv transmission is only going to get harder as time goes on . I will be watching you close to see how you do with it . Big Props !!!!
True dat, hence the title of this blog. There are a lot of failed attempts and unfinished AWD Honda projects out there, and for good reason. Definitely kicked my *** and there was a few times I wanted to give up on it. You do the build proper though, and the sky is the limit. There's an AWD EG out there running low 8s. They are using the K series CR-V setup in it, but I know it is pushing well over 900 hp in it. I just got my head back from the builders (Endyn) and I'm pretty sure I will be outflowing my turbo with this new top end. That will be 660ish hp and flirting with 500 tq. That remains to be seen of course, but I'm sure I won't hesitate to go to a bigger turbo if needed. Baby steps.

Thanks everyone for checking out this blog and for all of the props. Stay tuned...
Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I've considered sending my head to Endyn, can't wait to see how yours does!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
I've considered sending my head to Endyn, can't wait to see how yours does!

Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

That's a thing of beauty Darrycar!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if most of this awd stuff will work on an ef
Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Fish Twig

use your OP to link to specific pages of your build. like bookmarks
Old 12-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!