Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!

Originally Posted by DarryCar
I would definitely like to stay in 4th though the traps. I am looking into some re-gearing options for the transmission. I will probably upgrade the valve train this summer to so that I can rev to 9000. That alone may keep me out 5th gear.
What size tires are you running right now? Re-gearing the Trans is a bitch. I hope you got some vids better than that potato phone last time haha

Berz out.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AMR
Hope the coilovers we built for you, also helped you out on the track! Glad to see you hit the track with the car lately! Thanks again for posting your review, and posting some nice shots of your project, and install. Clean!
You know they did Andy!! I didn't get the chance to mess with the dampening on them being that I only got two runs in, but the suspension felt great otherwise. The car was bouncing all over the place last time I was out there. Night and day difference. I'll get another chance to play with the dampening in a couple of weeks when I get back out there. Thanks again for the set-up, I'll be back on the review with an update soon.

Originally Posted by ssmrico
man nice progress
Thank you, it really has come together nicely.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BigBerz
What size tires are you running right now? Re-gearing the Trans is a bitch. I hope you got some vids better than that potato phone last time haha

Berz out.
205/40-17. I know re-gearing that trans is, well, ridiculous. I definitely want an LS 5th gear in it for cruising. I've seen someone put the LS 1st and 2nd into the SBXM with some light moding. One Bad was able to put the LS 5th in it. It can be done, but ya what a bitch. I was playing around with MFactory's gear calculator and it looks like if I can rev to 9000 rpm I can make it through the traps in 4th gear. It's a thought. HAHA, ya I think we used a better phone this time...

Originally Posted by 95 b20t
Nice build!
Thanks for checking it out!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is very impressive. Always thought about doing something like this . Never actually seen something like this in person even though I've been a Honda man for a very long time. Good luck with it
Old 04-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bigboosted1
This is very impressive. Always thought about doing something like this . Never actually seen something like this in person even though I've been a Honda man for a very long time. Good luck with it
A bunch of them have been started, but only a hand full have been completed. I'm happy, and a little proud, to say that I have completed one that is fully functional and a **** ton of fun to drive. Thanks for checking it out.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well here is one video, sorry it is not the best quality. No one can seem to get the seem to get the lights at the end of the strip to focus, so you can't actually see the time. This was the better of the two. 11.52 @ 115 MPH.

I'm learning a few things just by watching the video. I see that my wheels are in fact spinning off of the line. Also I can see the *** is squatting on shifts, so messing with the dampening settings of the coilovers next time should help with that. If you listen closely you can hear me bounce off the rev limiter in 4th just before the traps. Again, this is on 17 inch wheels, full interior, and a mild tune on e59.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and I got on the scales and weighed in at 2775! She's a pig!! I thought the Civic was around 2400 lbs. We need to start counting carbs. I didn't think the AWD system added much weight to it, but we did build the **** out of the rear trailing arms. I can't imagine we added 375 pounds to it, but it's possible. I wish I had weighed all of the parts to see how much extra it added to the Civic.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is one CLEAN Hatch. Awesome build that's legit!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should play with the rear dampening and see what works best for launches. The mid track shifting doesn't matter, all that matters is getting off the line. Not sure if you want to set up like a full FWD launch and have the rear stiff or set up like a RWD and have lots of squat. Seeing as how the AWD is more like FWD in that system I would tend to think setting up like full FWD would be the way to go. Would love to see some launch vids demonstrating both!!

Berz out.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would love to see some launch vids demonstrating both!
Yep, that would be awesome!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

adjust coils , smaller wheels like 15s and good rubber and seat time and u will be moving
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Car with the right rubber, especially AWD should be pounding out 1.4 60ft times.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Car with the right rubber, especially AWD should be pounding out 1.4 60ft times.
Remember this isn't "true" AWD. The RT4WD system is quite different than conventional AWD setups like in Subaru, GTR, EVO setups.

I'm not sure 15" rims will clear his brakes. If they do though I agree completely on that aspect. 15" rims with taller rubber with some flex will greatly improve the launch.

Berz out.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These are all great suggestions. I will be playing with the dampening next week to see what works best. Unfortunately with the size of the brakes that I am running up front, the smallest wheel I can run is a 16". Don't for get that I did gut the pumps in the rear diff and plumbed in an air locker to activate it. Once activated, the rear diff is a true 1:1 with the transfer case.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gonna need some ks breaks then to run smaller wheels lol
Old 04-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is just another view of the same run. It shows my FWD burnout too before I lock it into 4WD. Still cracks me up to do that.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tomorrow night is race night! Anyone going to be in the Phoenix area? Shooting for 10s and/or breakage...

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

10's or Bust! lol Love it. Get someone down at the line to record those launches!! Lets hope you actually get a few passes in tonight.

Berz out.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a bit harder to get into the 10s then I had thought. Still dealing with some shifting issues, and I was running though the gears way faster on the T85 tune. I was also relying on my boost gauge, which was wrong, the whole night rather than checking my datalogs, so in the morning when I was looking at them I found that I was only boosting 24-25 psi and not 29-30 psi that I should have been at. 5th gear really sucks in this trans, and I have to get into it as I am running out of gear in 4th before the traps. The RPMs drop too low in 5th and I am just waiting to get through the traps. I definitely need a remedy for this in the future. My 60' times were worse the whole night never getting better than 1.8. I was roasting the tires on the launch, and then bogging when shifting into 2nd. I took the air press in the tires from 36psi down to 24psi and I was still lighting them up. On the final run I lowered the launch RPM to 4000 RPM and I think that was too low. I bogged it off the line and ended up with a 2.1 60'. I got six runs in this time, but still a frustrating night. My best was 11.31 @ 128mph.

It is definitely a 10 second car at this point with the right driver. Unfortunately I am not that driver right now. We'll get there. I'll post some videos later.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Yeah, I felt the same when I was shooting for 9's. Seemed like it was hard to get that 9 down. For me what really helps is getting track support with my tuner allowing him to make adjustments as I make each pass.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great runs!

I would really try and find some 16" rims with stickier, taller rubber if you can. I know probably hard to find but shifting into 5th is no way to score a 10. I think in your case now, the 10 is going to happen with your 60' and 1/8th improving. Which will make you shift into 5th even earlier if you get off well. How fast does the AWD disengage once you tell it to? Have you been turning it off once you hit 3rd gear? Do you think this make a difference? If your not using it for traction on the top end wouldn't it be better off?

Berz out.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great runs!

I would really try and find some 16" rims with stickier, taller rubber if you can. I know probably hard to find but shifting into 5th is no way to score a 10. I think in your case now, the 10 is going to happen with your 60' and 1/8th improving. Which will make you shift into 5th even earlier if you get off well. How fast does the AWD disengage once you tell it to? Have you been turning it off once you hit 3rd gear? Do you think this make a difference? If your not using it for traction on the top end wouldn't it be better off?

Berz out.
Ya, 16" wheels is something I will be looking into. I am finally going to get some head work done over the summer and upgrade the valve train so that I can rev to 9000+ RPM. That there should get me through the traps without having to get into 5th gear.

I've kept it in AWD throughout the entire pass. I have been thinking of turning it off once I get into 4th. I shift through the gears so fast I have forgotten to reach over and hit the button. I'm still new with all of this and when I have to wait close to an hour to make a pass, I tend to forget to do everything. It is a thought though and I do think it could help in the top end.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So here are my passes along with the time slips from this last event

This first one I was taken by surprise with how fast I was going through the gears and hit the rev limiter on every gear. The T85 tune proved to be a totally different animal. That Porsche smoked me, but I'm sure I surprised him in the Civic.

I did pretty well on this next run. I got a decent launch, but I am spinning the wheels off of the line. The Nitto NT-01s had around 36psi in them. I actually shifted into 5th gear without any problems, so the MPH is about where it should be. Again, this is only on 24-25 psi of boost and I should have been getting 29-30 psi out of it.

Still trying to get a feel for things. Tried playing with the dampening on the coilovers and set them from full hard to the middle. 60' was just getting worse.

Lowered the press in the tires down to 24 psi. Still bouncing off of the rev limiter at times. Really bogging shifting into 2nd gear.

This one was a good one, but my 60' was not looking any better. Shifting was good, but really started to notice how much I was spinning the wheels off of the line and bogging when I shifted into 2nd. Also starting to notice how much 5th sucks as it drops the RPM way too low.

Last run of the night, just tried to get it in real quick. Tried dropping the launch RPM down to 4000, but that proved to be way too much and bogged off of the line. Maybe 4500 is the sweet spot with these tires.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Maybe its time we see this on the track and not a drag strip

Quick Reply: Not Another AWD Civic Project!!!