Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

MR/RR Honda powered tube chassis machine

Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR/RR Honda powered tube chassis machine

So I've been obsessed recently with the idea of building some kind of single seat, tube chassis machine, kind of like a Super Vee racecar, Locost, BAC mono type thing. To be honest Honda wasn't top in my list for powertrains, I wanted to do some kind of MR V6, or V8. But the fact that I'd be relegated to expensive transaxles kind of eliminates that possibility.
So, I got the great idea of doing something akin to the MR setups that people use when they put engines in the trunks of Del Sols. I don't have a lot of experience fabricating but I figure it's just carpentry with scarier tools, and I know some good welders. I have plenty of confidence in my engineering ability, I'm just worried about finding good places to buy spherical bearings and the various bushings I'll need when it comes to construction.
I'm going to draw up some plans for an inboard suspension, at least in the rear, to save some space and keep most of the mass in the chassis.
Things I'm pondering are:
1: What powertrain. Weight will be very low, so output isn't a huge concern. I was thinking either Z6, or LS. A J series would be too much weight to fight with for distribution.
2. Wheelbase and track. I don't want to have to delve into custom length CV's if I can help it, so track will likely be that of a stock Civic, and I think that's plenty of width for something that'll be single seat. Center of gravity will be very low. I'll have to be careful with suspension geometry and spring rates, but the low weight should be on my side. However I don't know how long I need to make this thing. I think it'll be in the neighborhood of Del Sol wheelbase, 93". I'd like it a bit shorter but given power to weight, and drivetrain, it'll become exponentially more squirrely as the wheels come closer together.
Any input is welcome. I'll probably buy a parts car pretty soon to start hacking apart, use an engine for reference and mockup, etc, etc. I do think it would be cool to chop up Honda panels for the body, maintain some of the shapes.