Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Mdb4879's "Another K2B build Thread" any pre-fabbed kits out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mdb4879's "Another K2B build Thread" any pre-fabbed kits out there?

I did a quick search, but all the responses I found led me to believe either no one knows what they're talking about, or they're thinking of it wrong. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're thinking of it wrong.

So anyways, it started while I was at a local fab shop and the owner's current shop car is an EF hatch with a D16A6. He had the motor and trans suspended in the engine bay with the transmission clocked on the motor and the engine leaning back. He's doing this to relocate some of the weight further back behind the axles and to correct the axle geometry from being lowered.

It got me thinking so I asked how much more difficult he thought it'd be to do to a K series, being that they have a half shaft and this would locate it inside of the motor. He said what you'd have to do is adapt a B series transmission with straight cut gears to make it work.

The few threads I've seen have everyone going with the assumption that you would end up with 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear. I don't think this is the case, I can only imagine everyone is thinking about turning the motor around the way a B series sits. That would make the gear argument hold true. The way I see it is instead you leave the K series motor oriented the way it was designed, but turn the B series transmission the other way in the engine bay. The motor does turn opposite from a B series, but the trans is flipped around so it still would drive forward. The problem is the same with using a RWD ring and pinion in the front axle of a 4wd. It'd work, but because the gears are cut to turn the other way they are extremely weak. This is where the straight cut gears come into play.

Doing this you end up with the motor and trans sitting entirely behind the axles. It may be possible to tilt the motor back and lower the center of gravity, but that depends on how much work you want to do to the fire wall.

Anyways, my question is, are there any pre-fabbed kits for this or has anyone done this in there car? (Aside from a racing team's car). I've heard the old BTCC cars relocated the engine in a similar manner, but I'm unsure of how they went about it. Does this sound like something anyone with the resources may be willing to try?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default re: Mdb4879's "Another K2B build Thread"

If you move the "B" series transmission over to the driver's side and attach it to a "K" series engine, the shift selector rod now points toward the front of the car. How will you select gears this way ???
Old 03-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or why not just run a K trans and be done with it??
Old 03-15-2015, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good point about the shift selector. I had previously thought about that, but had forgotten the issue when I typed this up. I think it may be possibly to make a mechanism to anchor shift cables to the trans and move the selector. Although pushing movements may be a problem, unless you put a cable on both sides for each direction.

Or possibly a better option would be an H series transmission being they are cable actuated?

Why not just throw in a K series trans? For all the advantages I listed in my initial post. I'm not suggesting this as a simple alternative to a K trans, but more as an advantageous, extreme, total vehicle transformation.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
If you move the "B" series transmission over to the driver's side and attach it to a "K" series engine, the shift selector rod now points toward the front of the car. How will you select gears this way ???
good point ......unless you do the nice job in the trunk ....then the shift selector would be perfect there ...
Old 02-21-2019, 01:35 AM

First off I knew I wasn't the only one thinking this....

Ok so take all the guts from a b-series trans and then biuld a new case get some big billets of aluminum and mill it out with some good machine tools and some measurements from a donor it isn't that hard to make one from scratch (to save on cost tho u should make at least 4 and sell the other 3 for a grand or so)

Install the gut in the same exact way now you say u can't turn the gears around because they are cut for one direction I disagree you be able to install them without any negative effects. Even the shift linkage should be able to flip maybe one or two parts will have to be remake as I believe there is one part that is left you need a right.

Now while your at it you can even take this one step father and make the bell housing the exact same as your standard k-series trans so you don't have any adapters or k2b kits?

I'm a machinist I make things like this all the time now thing about makeing 4+ at once because the machine time is gonna cost making one takes alot of setup you have to take alot of measurements of the donor b-series and generate a cad/g-code tool path/solid works this and the cutting time is gonna take hours like 10-22hours maybe more depending on the machine. So making more then one saves u money u have the setup and material just copy no measurements needed no extra wasted time, by then you have the tools dialed in and your feeds and speed can be maxed cutting down cutting time even more so make another now u have 3 then again 4

So say it took u 22hours for the first one and 15hours for the second and 10hours for the last two. That's 57 hours of machine time if they are good machinist (hold bearing clearances) that about 5700 dallors.....that alot for one trans but you have 4 or even more
thats 1900dallors a pop and it cost the shop at least 1k to make one....

This is why only a machinist like me or/and has lot of time or have access to a CNC you can't just jump in and make one....

It's easy to do but you would have to make your own case.

​​​​​​Hope I didn't miss anything...
Old 02-22-2019, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts