Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

LMA circ clip removal / lma retaining clip removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LMA circ clip removal / lma retaining clip removal

I need some help / tips / pointers in getting this retaining clip removed from the LMA. I plan on "refurbishing" the LMA's before my camshafts go back in the car and since I bought these LMA's used.. I'm not 100% on whether or not they had any sticking issues. Since everything's down anyway..... Now's the best time to attack it vs tearing it down in a week, month or next year. Just made sense to try now.

I've looked online and have found people reference a sewing needle and needle nose pliers to remove this circ clip. I've seen a post where someone used a flat head to pry it out/ down with the help of vise grips holding the plunger down ...(Both of these options do not work for me)
I find the retaining clip practically impossible to catch at a good angle. Every time I get soooo close to pulling it out and down / or up and it'll slide right off the end of my pick / flat head / sewing needle.
I've tried unsuccessfully for a 10+ hours in removing this clip... I just can't get it. In one post someone said to cut a slot from the top or drill a small hole in the outer casing to push the clip .. I just don't see this being a good/ wise choice. Now that I'm at my physical and metal limit ... I decided to ask if anyone else had a good idea or to corroborate this slot / hole drilling idea... (I would never have even imagined this acceptable...but I really don't know anymore)

Unfortunately Acura/Honda will not sell the GSR / civic style LMA and has replaced it with the Spring style LMA. I am unable to run this LMA so it's not an option. I would prefer not spending 400 on ITR LMA's... (not really sure if they didn't replace that part number with the spring LMA though).

So anyone have another idea to help me get these clips out I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: LMA circ clip removal / lma retaining clip removal

Can you elaborate why the behive LMA (spring type) won't operate in your car.

Honda as well as performance aftermarket parts switched to this style as it's superior to the encased spring that binds after time.

I do not understand why the improved part won't work in your setup.

As for the c-clip have you watched the video in this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...2A%2A-3253064/

In it, he shows the trick on how the needle nose prevents the spinning of the c-clip so the needle then can pry under the clip.