Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

car hopping after broken axle..... look inside

Old 07-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car hopping after broken axle..... look inside

I busted my drivers sider axle at the track. I replaced it right there (a friend had a spare). Now, whenever the car ri solling, the whole front end of the car is hopping badly... it's directly proportional to the speed of the car (doesn't matter if you're turning, breaking, accelerating or just crusing). Its unbearable to drive... and anything over 20mph is rediculously scary.

The faster you get, the worse (more rapid) the hopping/bumping/thumping gets. Both axles are solid; there is no unusual play in the drivetrain anywhere. I just noticed that my drivers side wheel bearing is bad (there's some play in the wheel while its off ethe ground). Could this all be simply a bad wheel breaing? Or something else?

hydro GSR tranny /w a quaife.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't drive it like that your motor mounts wont like it too much... I bought a salvaged integra and it had 2 bad axles and a couple bad motor mounts from the axles being bad.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ReallySlowEg)

Well, the wheel bearing isn't bead: its the ball joint on the upper control arm... it has a lot of play... could this cause my problem?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (servion)

I don't think that this ball joint will cause this big of a problem... can anyone help? If somehting is astray in my tranny, what could cause this? Could the diff be an issue?

I put the car in gewar on jackstands, and got th wheels moving at ~60mph, without the hopping described above... so its only when its on the ground
Old 07-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car hopping after broken axle..... look inside (servion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I busted my drivers sider axle at the track. I replaced it right there (a friend had a spare). Now, whenever the car ri solling, the whole front end of the car is hopping badly... it's directly proportional to the speed of the car (doesn't matter if you're turning, breaking, accelerating or just crusing). Its unbearable to drive... and anything over 20mph is rediculously scary.

The faster you get, the worse (more rapid) the hopping/bumping/thumping gets. Both axles are solid; there is no unusual play in the drivetrain anywhere. I just noticed that my drivers side wheel bearing is bad (there's some play in the wheel while its off ethe ground). Could this all be simply a bad wheel breaing? Or something else?

hydro GSR tranny /w a quaife.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car hopping after broken axle..... look inside (servion)

noone?