Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Key won't turn, stuck at 0 (OFF)-2002 Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key won't turn, stuck at 0 (OFF)-2002 Honda Insight

Hey everyone. I just wanna say first off that I'm glad I found this website. It helped me get a lot of things fixed on my 2002 Honda Insight (5 speed) that I've only had for a couple of months. But I'm currently stumped at this new problem I'm having, the ignition lock cylinder.

3 days ago (Friday), I parked my Insight, turned the steering wheel to the left, and went to work. After work, I came back to a locked steering wheel and my key wouldn't turn. I was stuck at work for an additional 9 hours just to get it to turn but couldn't get it to turn. I've tried:

- Jiggling steering wheel left and right while turning key
- Hammered key lightly in ignition to try to get the pins unsprung
- Jump starting but can't turn key
- WD40 the ignition keyhole to lubricate
- Rolled back and forth to get the steering wheel unlocked
- Pressing the brake while turning the key

After several failures, I eventually called it quits and paid for a tow. Now the Insight is parked in the garage and still unable to turn the key. The only thing I've done is removed the plastic covers for the steering column and drilled a hole under the steering wheel to take out the spring that locks the steering wheel. I was hoping that unlocking the steering wheel would allow me to turn the key, but I was wrong. Now the steering wheel turns completely, but I still cannot turn the key to start the car (ignition stuck at 0, won't go to ACC, II, or III). So here's my current situation:

- Key will not turn out of 0 or OFF, cannot start car
- I can insert and remove the key, makes beeping sound
- Steering wheel is unlocked because I drilled hole to remove spring

I've been at it for 3 straight days now with no progress. All I've done so far is stress myself out. I don't know how to fix this, but I want to DIY to save money. I've already spent $200 on towing and tools that simply did not work. I'm trying to avoid spending more money on towing it to the dealership or a mechanic. I feel I need to get the lock cylinder removed, but I have no idea how because there's no space to remove the screws to the Immobilizer and I don't have much space to remove the steering column. I've learned that the Immobilizer has nothing to do with not letting the key turn.

Can anyone help me out? Any advice or suggestions? Tips or tricks maybe? Pics and guides would be really helpful because I have no idea how to remove the steering column or the lock cylinder itself. Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Key won't turn, stuck at 0 (OFF)-2002 Honda Insight

My car did this one day. I actually have an 01 integra LS. But what I do to overcome this is put the key in the ignition and the cylinder will like push in, Then turn the key foward with a good amount of pressure and will trying to turn the key try to pull the key out. If this doesnt make sense let me know and ill make a vid.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Key won't turn, stuck at 0 (OFF)-2002 Honda Insight

Hi, I realize this is an older post, but for those who found their way here, there is a similar problem that has a solution at this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ition-3030998/