Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt

Just wanted to let people know that this impact gun can take off crank bolts pretty easily. I just used the craftsman professional impact wrench with a costco air compressor i think it does 7.0 cfm and 155 psi and its a 20 gallon tank or something like that.

this is for a honda civic crank bolt

first it wasnt working because i was using and adapter + extension then socket to reach the bolt becuase just a socket /impact wrench wouldnt reach the bolt. I didn't think you would lose that much torque, but i guess you do. No matter how long i let the gun run it wouldn't take it off.

then i dropped the engine /loosened the motor mount and just used impact gun and socket and in 1 second that thing spun off !!

i thought i wasted money on that gun and compressor but i guess it did come in handy..

Old 04-18-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (dchung1)

Old 04-18-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (slowazzhatch)

Air Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Kal

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (Echo7847)

compressed air is the most useful thing in a garage
Old 04-18-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (Kal)

I use chicago pneumatic air tools, if you look around you can find good deals on them. I have never had any problems removing pulley bolts.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (dchung1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchung1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is for a honda civic crank bolt

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Civic huh? Have you tried it on an Accord yet? I use an ir261.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:52 PM

I just spent the better part of today trying to get mine off. Busted 2 (non-impact Craftsman sockets). Was thinking that I had to take it somewhere...

Did you have to brace the pulley or did the gun just take it off?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (mmoto68)

can't beat air tools....I have a 500ftlb husky impact...rips crank bolts right off.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (DragII)

It's all about having at least 140 psi in the tank.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:25 AM

no didnt brace the pulley at all , no pulley holder just impact gun! i guess thats the good thing about the impact gun, it breaks the torque of the bolt with just the belt tension. Just make sure you get the impact gun and use only the socket directly to the bolt or you'll lose a lot of torque( do not use extensions like i did). you will probably have to drop the engine by loosening the motor mount on driver side (I didnt have to take the mount off just the long bolt and the mount will drop but be supported by the mount bracket. ).
Old 04-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchung1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just wanted to let people know that this impact gun can take off crank bolts pretty easily. I just used the craftsman professional impact wrench with a costco air compressor i think it does 7.0 cfm and 155 psi and its a 20 gallon tank or something like that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now imagine if you had used a REAL impact gun.

I use a Snap-On IM6100. Cost more than a new set of race tires, but worth every penny. And I can still get crank pulleys off using my 48" extension. (sometimes I don't feel like taking the tire off when I do a T/B)
Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (MightyMouseTech)

My Ingersoll-Rand 2135Ti works pretty damn well for what I paid.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (MightyMouseTech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MightyMouseTech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now imagine if you had used a REAL impact gun.

I use a Snap-On IM6100. Cost more than a new set of race tires, but worth every penny. And I can still get crank pulleys off using my 48" extension. (sometimes I don't feel like taking the tire off when I do a T/B)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know my Snap-on Im6100 was worth every penny i paid for it
Old 04-19-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (MENACE)

i got the ir titanium weighs no more than 4 lbs and has power up to 1000ft/lbs
wooooweee
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's all about having at least 140 psi in the tank.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Psh, 11.4cfm is what its about, 110psi just fine. 500lb Husky is enough for me, worth the $100.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (blah13)

ingersol rand make some of the guns for craftsman and snap on and others

ir the good stuff
Old 04-20-2004, 08:43 AM

I bought a used IR 231. GREAT gun for the money.

But i would have to say the best gun for the buck is one of the bigger CP's they sella t Sears.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:40 AM

the best is when you still cant get it off...... give it some juice. Use Nitrogen! that has work several times for me.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt (thegrinch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegrinch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the best is when you still cant get it off...... give it some juice. Use Nitrogen! that has work several times for me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, Yup. I got a big ole Nitrogen tank right beside my toolbox. Works great at the track too, no bulky compressor and generator.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:52 PM

i cant get my bolt off my d15b7.. i use my craftsman impact gun and it still wont move. i dont use extension, i use a long 19mm socket. (or was it 21mm?) I tried driving around getting the car hot, and pull in garage quickly and try to get the bolt off, still wont move!!!!

IM using 20 gal 150psi tank
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a breaker bar with a 5 ft extension
Old 05-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats funny, i had the worst luck with an impact. I used a big *** breaker bar, and the thing came wright off

Old 05-04-2004, 08:18 PM

if using a breaker bar.... how the hell do you stop the crankshaft from roating?

my prelude, i had great luck getting the bolt off with the exact same impact gun.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:45 PM

just dropped the engine supported by a jack and ran the craftsman professional with socket No extension and bam it spun off! no need to hold the crank shaft with screw driver ! thats it
it was worth themoney
Old 05-18-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (dchung1)

Still working on getting my nut off. Dang that sounds kinky. But, no, the damn thing won't come off! 160gal 140psi compressor with craftsman impact and no-extension socket. I still got nothing after beating on it for about 30 seconds solid...a few times actually. So we tried a bar (about 3-4feet) and still nothing, but with an extension that MUST have been on ends. How ya'll find space up in their with a torque bar and no extension? Believe me, I've tried everything, I swear this is welded or something. When putting it back together, does this thing HAVE to be on liek that?

To he who asked about how you can lock the pulley, take a screwdriver, shove it through one of the holes in the pulley (if you have them, which you SHOULD) and lock it on the bottom side of the oil pan. Make sure it's securly fastened and in a safe place where it won't damage the pan. Your other option is to get the car up, and have someone CAREFULLY get in the car and put it in first and smash the brake to the floor.

SAFETY NOTE: While using either of these methods MAKE SURE your car is SOLIDLY lifted! While using these methods my car dropped twice from about 2-3feet up down on the brake drum. Then again I wasn't on a solid surface to say, but we'll leave it at that. I almost lost my arm. Don't ya'll try this without being safe!

Quick Reply: just used a craftsman professional impact gun to remove crank pulley bolt