Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

JDM H22A Transmission PROBLEMS! REVERSE!! M2B4 / LSD Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM H22A Transmission PROBLEMS! REVERSE!! M2B4 / LSD Tranny

yet another problem.

car was perfect for a few days. now, the car refuses to go into reverse.

i can push pull tug or fight, and it just wont go into reverse.

i tried pumping the clutch. that worked until i bled the clutch again.

i try putting it in different gears first. no luck. finally, i pop the hood, and try and manually put it into reverse by hand (bypassing shift cables etc) and it wont budge. this leads me to believe the worst of things! internal damage.

**** YOU OSAKA!

what do i do?! i dont have money for a new jdm lsd tranny, not to mention they are pretty rare. and i want one so i dunno.

i dont even know if i should bother contacting osaka. i bought the motor from them in february and just now got it swapped so they'll probably tell me to buzz off.

HELP thanks
Old 07-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

find a usdm open diff. tranny and swap out the lsd. OR, you can always have the tranny repaired. and then there;s parking all the way in the back of the parking lot so that you wont have to reverse out.

osaka......when will the horror stories end???
Old 07-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM H22A Transmission PROBLEMS! REVERSE!! M2B4 / LSD Tranny (j.fuggi)

this happend to a friend of mine. He lost 5th gear aswell but couldnt get reverse back, he changed the tranny oil and got 5th back. Let me guess, this happend after you grinded some gears or misshifted.
From what ive heard from a local tranny guy is that the prelude transmissions are known for this problem. I forget the exact details, but there is something that is bent in that top part of the transmission where the cables hook up to inside. From what i was told, you need some special tools to fix the problem, but its not a big deal to fix.

From grinding gears, you bent something... and that fucked the tranny up.

Esp. on prelude trannys, make sure you run honda MTF

Old 07-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22 CD5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22 CD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">find a usdm open diff. tranny and swap out the lsd. OR, you can always have the tranny repaired. and then there;s parking all the way in the back of the parking lot so that you wont have to reverse out.

osaka......when will the horror stories end???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not much of a tranny person, so i'm not sure how i would go about switching over the lsd. i obviously want to keep the lsd. but i also want reverse lol.

money is tight, and tranny repair is EXPENSIVE! i'll see what i can do though. might be able to work something out.

yea, osaka is gay. i cant believe i drove all that way to get a shitty motor internally.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irev210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this happend to a friend of mine. He lost 5th gear aswell but couldnt get reverse back, he changed the tranny oil and got 5th back. Let me guess, this happend after you grinded some gears or misshifted.
From what ive heard from a local tranny guy is that the prelude transmissions are known for this problem. I forget the exact details, but there is something that is bent in that top part of the transmission where the cables hook up to inside. From what i was told, you need some special tools to fix the problem, but its not a big deal to fix.
From grinding gears, you bent something... and that fucked the tranny up.

Esp. on prelude trannys, make sure you run honda MTF
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i only run honda fluids in my car. oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, etc. 5th grinds from time to time, but thats common with ludes. i dont need 5th for the 1/4 mile so im not 100% worried about that.

something could be bent i agree. i tried to get into reverse once, and got pissed when it wouldnt go in, so i hit it really hard, and a cable clip came off the shifter assembly thing and i had ONLY 2nd and 4th. 3hrs later (had to wait for friend to get tools, figure out wtf i did) in a parking lot in the ghetto i fixed that. and then figured it MIGHT be a clutch thing. because sometimes the pedal would stick to the floor. so we bled the clutch again, and now i have NO reverse AT ALL. it just will not budge.

HOPEFULLY, if i really have to pull the tranny, and open it up, its something simple to fix. and while i'm in there i'll replace everything cheaply. lol i dunno. thakns for the help so far!

after i fix the knocking problem, i'll worry about the tranny. (knocking hopefully from balance shaft bearing) firebombing osaka as soon as i get off probation.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22 CD5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22 CD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">find a usdm open diff. tranny and swap out the lsd. OR, you can always have the tranny repaired. and then there;s parking all the way in the back of the parking lot so that you wont have to reverse out.

osaka......when will the horror stories end???</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't swap diffs from the two trannies,the lsd and open diff tranny have different casings.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aeolus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aeolus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can't swap diffs from the two trannies,the lsd and open diff tranny have different casings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i figured that. if i rip open the lsd tranny and just replace whatever is bent or broken i should be fine no? or is this something major that needs me to go kidnap the dudes from osaka and hold them hostage on a bed of mousetraps?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (j.fuggi)

it could be your shift fork.call them, maybe they help you...
Old 07-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mmuller)

a. i'm not calling them - they are not worth any more hassle not to mention, the chances of me speaking to an english speaking employee is slim. and i cant tolerate a language barrier.
b. why would that only affect reverse? again, i'm not a tranyn guy so i havnt a clue whats involved.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i forget exactly what part is bent, but there is something bent in your transmission thats why you cant go into reverse.

Its an easy fix if you know what to look for, sorry I wish I could give you more information
Old 07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (irev210)

well, as long as its semi easy.
i can pull the tranny and rip it apart. i just dont want to screw **** up ya know?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:25 PM

i have the same problem and need to fix it....but mine is not lsd.....any help is appreciated....thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you ever get it fixed? if so i have the same problem
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: (MaddDogg49)

MY M2B4 LSD H22 TRANS DID THE SAME THING UNTIL I FIX IT.
IT WAS THE REVERSE SLEVE AND SYNCHRO NOT TO MENTION THE 5TH GEAR SYNCHRO. I BOUGHT 1-5 CARBON SYNCHROS FROM GEAR SPEED ( VERY GOOD PRODUCT) AND EVERY SYNCHRO REPLACED. MAN, I TELL YOU WHAT THE TRANSMISSION IS BRAND NEW AND THE REVERSE IS THERE EVERY TIME. IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (PERSIANJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PERSIANJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MY M2B4 LSD H22 TRANS DID THE SAME THING UNTIL I FIX IT.
IT WAS THE REVERSE SLEVE AND SYNCHRO NOT TO MENTION THE 5TH GEAR SYNCHRO. I BOUGHT 1-5 CARBON SYNCHROS FROM GEAR SPEED ( VERY GOOD PRODUCT) AND EVERY SYNCHRO REPLACED. MAN, I TELL YOU WHAT THE TRANSMISSION IS BRAND NEW AND THE REVERSE IS THERE EVERY TIME. IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY! </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm willing to bet that's what the problem is too. I've fixed a H22A tranny from hmotorsonline with the same problem. It's only $100 or so to get a new synchro set for 5th-reverse. The shift linkage cover may also have an issue.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (IN VTEC)

I THOUGHT IT WAS MY CABLE H22 LINKAGE BUT IT'S NOT. IT'S JUST THAT THE TRANSMISSION CAME LIKE THAT WITH THE 5TH GEAR GRIND AND A BAD REVERSE.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Trial User

Default Re: JDM H22A Transmission PROBLEMS! REVERSE!! M2B4 / LSD Tranny

I have the same issue with my lsd trans, its shitty was told it was cables but I'm not sure
Old 09-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: JDM H22A Transmission PROBLEMS! REVERSE!! M2B4 / LSD Tranny

It is likely the 5/R slider is seriously burred on the fifth gear side and will not slide back through the hub to pick up reverse. All H22A transmissions use the same slider, so you can order a replacement one from Synchrotech for about a hondo and fix it... not that the OP is still looking for answers after 15 years, but maybe this helps MoeBB6 or anyone else who digs up this old thread again.