Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

(Jack) Max. Lift Height on Jack, Allowable Clearance Space for Working Underneath Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 (Jack) Max. Lift Height on Jack, Allowable Clearance Space for Working Underneath Car

Hi Everyone,

I will be doing a lot of maintenance/upgrades on my car in the next several weeks and I've realized my OEM Jack is just not efficient anymore.

I've been doing a lot of research on Jacks and have managed to narrow down my choice to (3). Most likely, OTC or Jegs.

QUESTION:
In your experience, what is the maximum lift/ height you've found you needed to work on your car? Aside from minor things like changing a tire, I am referring to work that requires actually getting underneath the car (i.e. oil changes and upgrading suspension, LCAs, rear subframe brace, exhaust, stuff like that, ETC)

Basically, I want to know about how high I need to get the car in the air to do these things, as I do not have access to a lift and whatnot and all of this is going to be done in my cramped garage, on jack stands.

Like I said, I am looking at the OTC and Jegs.
Jegs has a Max. lift height of 17-3/4"
OTC 1532 has a Max. lift height of 18.5"

Whereas, Torin has a Max. lifting range of 22"

A Craftsman is not an option for me and I am also avoiding Costco or any Jack under $100, so please take that under consideration before replying.

Thank You!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jack) Max. Lift Height on Jack, Allowable Clearance Space for Working Underneath

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1597

i like this 1, lower than most low jacks, nice and sturdy but heavy, good max lift hieght , i have 2 of them works great on my lowered integra and civic as well as regular non lowered family cars, even on trucks, blah blah blah, read spec's enjoy thank u
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (Jack) Max. Lift Height on Jack, Allowable Clearance Space for Working Underneath

Originally Posted by ironcheftony
http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1597

i like this 1, lower than most low jacks, nice and sturdy but heavy, good max lift hieght , i have 2 of them works great on my lowered integra and civic as well as regular non lowered family cars, even on trucks, blah blah blah, read spec's enjoy thank u

Notice the over $250 and you get free shipping. You should buy a $70.00 item with this jack and get the most for your money.

Thanks for that link, there are a few race jack threads in the drag racing forum, I hadn't seen that one yet.

I have the black 3ton Sears jack that came with stands and a creeper for $99.00. I have been using it for 6 or 7 years now, on problems.

Most guys seem to recommend the Harbor Fright blue and silver jack for around $140.00.

OP at least 17" of lift is what most jacks have. 14" isn't enough.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the same setup 3 ton sears almost 10 years ago. Have used hundreds of times with no problem. Since I always use my jack in my garage I saw no use for aluminum. In my shop(work) I use the cornwell Blue Monster 200 bucks have had it 2 years now with no problwms. Before that I used a Lincoln for 9 years until the piston seal let loose with full payload on top(wow it was scary) Needless to say never work under a jack alone.You only have one brain.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never ever go underneath a car with it just resting on a jack! Always use jackstands. My jack lifts about 50cm, its just about the height I can fit under, then just prop jackstands underneath.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:14 AM

Hi hi thank you for the replies, guys!

Yes, I did a massive search in the autox/road racing Forums here on HT and also google and have not come across the link to the Jack you provided, but the brand name Arcan sounds very familiar-- I think that is the Jack that people were referring to that was sold at Costco??

Also, I was considering either of those (2) Harbor Freight Jacks that you mentioned, until I read a lot of conflicting reviews on them.

The reason I am looking at Aluminum Jacks, is because I weigh 115 lbs and the idea of pushing around a 100+ lbs Jack kind of makes me go Ehhhh LOL

I have (4) Jack stands, guys, don't worry LOL

So, you are saying I will fit under a 19" lift???

I just want to make sure I have enough room down there to work and install stuff---

I don't know, do I sound claustrophobic??
Old 06-23-2009, 04:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

can I ask, why are you avoiding jacks under $100? for $60, you can get yourself a Pepboys lowprofile hydraulic jack and $30 for a set of Craftsman jackstands (3 ton) as a safety measure.

if you want to one-up that, when you dismount your wheels put them under the car at all four corners in close proximity to the jack point. you'll have more than enough safety measures for yourself.

--furthermore, a hydraulic jack will give you enough clearance for all the items you missed, as I have done all of those things and even did two swaps in my car with just a hydraulic jack & stands. if you plan on laying beneath the car on concrete/blacktop, get yourself an old blanket so at least your back and stuff will be 'comfortable.' when regarding suspension, age, and no lift--I can assure you that you'll be under the car for a little bit.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

We have two Napa NLE 791-6402, ["The Furious Jack"] jacks at our shop, 19-5/8" lift, 2-3/4" pickup height, 2 ton capacity and 90lb.

Have not run into a lowered car we could not get it under, and almost a 20" lift is more then enough to get under with a creeper. 94
Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW I picked up a 12 ton bottle jack at Harbor Fright for the Dually along with 4 12ton stands. I carry a couple blocks of wood for under the jack to raise it up to the frame. The bottle jack was under $20.00

OP the jacks roll around fairly easy, don't worry about the weight of the black Craftsman. For $99.00 it's hard to beat. Stay away from thier Al race jack, it truely does suck. I know, I have one of those too. Did have it rebuilt, $50.00 to stop it from leaking and the next week the joint broke that closes the valve with the handle. So now I just bend down and release it with my hand. That jack stays in the trailer most of the time.