Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Installing a power inverter, how to raise idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a power inverter, how to raise idle?

so Im hooking up a 1500watt power inverter in my girlfriends 2000 crv. I plan to use 4gauge wiring for power and ground. my question is is there someway to flip a switch to hold the rpm at 2000 rpm while the inverter is in use? I dont think the alt. will have enough output to keep it juiced at idle (800rpm)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Installing a power inverter, how to raise idle?

simply for the fact that you asked before just figuring it out suggests that you aren't an electronics enthusiast/guru. it's not easy but I am sure it can be done.

what you're looking for is an adjustable curtain rod. jam between the driver's seat and throttle pedal, adjust length until rpm is correct. really anything that is adjustable and can hold the throttle pedal in position will work.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does a crv even provide enough current to produce 1500 ways?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could put a switching in line with the temp sender so that the car thinks its cold and goes into cold idle which i think is around 1700-1800.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Trial User

Im not rigging it up with whatever hack job you recomended hondamark. I also dont like splicing into the temp sensor, there has to be a more reliable/simpler way to do this. Im not an electronics 'guru' but I have installed my fair share of car electronics/remote starts
Old 11-18-2015, 01:43 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are so smart then you didn't need to ask. To get to 2k rpm you need more air than the CLOSED throttle body can supply. The idle adjustment is mechanical based on a screw. To have the engine run at 2k rpm you would need to mechanically open the throttle by having something press the gas pedal or act directly on the throttle body.

Maybe you could rig a servo motor to the throttle body and a switch to power the motor then determine how to get the motor to move the exact right amount to hold 2k rpm. Or buy a 1.99 curtain rod...

Btw rule of thumb is 10 watts per dc amp. the stock alternator is 95 amps...
Old 11-19-2015, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushinink
Im not rigging it up with whatever hack job you recomended hondamark. I also dont like splicing into the temp sensor, there has to be a more reliable/simpler way to do this. Im not an electronics 'guru' but I have installed my fair share of car electronics/remote starts
yeah, it's called buying a portable generator. the whole idea of what you're trying to do is a hack job.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Im not rigging it up with whatever hack job you recomended hondamark.
Its not a hack and is a simple, and probably the best, answer to your problem. Read it again.

Otherwise what you ask is not likely feasible without ECU tunning of some sort,since the ECU controls the idle....
Old 11-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Trial User

I already have a generator and its a pain in the *** esp for smaller jobs (crv is our work vehicle) The curtain rod idea is a hack job and im not doing that. I didnt ask for the easiest way to hold the rpm. I want the best long term solution. The power inverter will be used everyday for about 20min at a time so you can see the curtain rod would be a pain in the *** for everyday use.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I already have a generator and its a pain in the *** esp for smaller jobs (crv is our work vehicle) The curtain rod idea is a hack job and im not doing that. I didnt ask for the easiest way to hold the rpm. I want the best long term solution. The power inverter will be used everyday for about 20min at a time so you can see the curtain rod would be a pain in the *** for everyday use.
How much wattage are you going to be using? If its primarially an electric motor, assume the inverter will need to tolerate a start-up spike 2-3x the running wattage draw of the appliance.

You could get a standalone engine management system with an additional input to go to a switch on the dash, flip the switch, and it ramps up the PWM signal to the IACV to 100%.

1500 watts will require 107 amps of output from the alternator, plus whatever the engine needs, and the electric fans. Likely you'd need a 180amp alternator to adequately feed the engine and the inverter.

The all-around best solution is going to be to leave your engine alone. Go to the auto parts store. Buy a deep cycle battery and wire it in parallel with the inverter and the car's electrics. If you're using the setup for 20 mins at a time, a deep-cycle, the car battery, and the alternator pumping 500 watts or so into the system should be plenty.

Also, that inverter is going to need adequate cooling.