Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Is there such a thing as a textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there such a thing as a textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

anyone does it?
was wondering if theres anything available to spray on the exhaust pipe to reduce the metal resonance of the actual exhaust piping.

i also seen domestic people placing weights on the piping to reduce drone
Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default re: Is there such a thing as a textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

Add a resonator or a better muffler?

Last edited by Caoboy; 03-11-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Is there such a thing as a textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

so i would buy a complete exhaust system.
cut it all up spend more money on replacing 90% of the exhaust system that i just bought?

makes sense
but also not what im asking at all
Old 03-11-2018, 06:09 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

That's not what I said....

Go to a muffler shop and have them add in another resonator or a better muffler.

Painting your exhaust isn't going to do as much as that will.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually you did. before you edited the post
i want to dissipate some of that ringing from metal resonating.
did a quick search and not found any high temp textured coatings besides sound deadening which is only good for 300 degrees
Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Yeah I literally edited 'or' from 'of'.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right. ok anyway
read my original post. not even close to what im asking here

i see alot of domestic hot rod guys adding weights to the pipe to break the resonance but none of the posts say which spot they are putting them on.
anyone have an idea?

im not looking to make it quieter. otherwise i can just keep stock exhaust
im trying to decrease the metal ringing from bare metal resonating like a bell and also decrease some drone( which apparently is resolved by clamping a weight to the pipe and seems to be rather effective for hot rod guys, even stock exhausts from manufacturer come with weights to reduce drone)
ive been looking for any information on where to place them or even if theres a reference about how to figure out best spot without actually driving and trying every single spot
Old 03-12-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
right. ok anyway
read my original post. not even close to what im asking here

i see alot of domestic hot rod guys adding weights to the pipe to break the resonance but none of the posts say which spot they are putting them on.
anyone have an idea?

im not looking to make it quieter. otherwise i can just keep stock exhaust
im trying to decrease the metal ringing from bare metal resonating like a bell and also decrease some drone( which apparently is resolved by clamping a weight to the pipe and seems to be rather effective for hot rod guys, even stock exhausts from manufacturer come with weights to reduce drone)
ive been looking for any information on where to place them or even if theres a reference about how to figure out best spot without actually driving and trying every single spot
I see both sides of what you both stated, the answer sadly is no. Nothing to spray on to substitute the effects you're trying to emulate.

The domestic guys tend to use lower grade steel when making their exhaust systems (on average). So with that lower grade steel they compensate the higher pitched resonance that results over time by using claps top strip it in certain places.

Resonators were not just used to reduce overall sound decibel levels. They are used to even out the resonance of the exhaust system itself because many of these higher quality resonators from Walker, Magnaflow & Flowmax, are used to distribute sound more daily across the room band of your exhaust.

In your case either recreate the exhaust with better materials, use resonators to even the sound out, or take your chances with the clamps and see how it goes.

But to answer your question directly, no. Unlike the sound deadening spray-on for cabin interiors to even-out sound quality, none of those sprays can withstand the heat of an exhaust system.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there such a thing as a textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

its skunk2 megapower lol

i pickef it up for decent price because 70mm
havent installed it yet but from what i found it seems to be rather loud

after i installed header wrap on my cheap ebay b series header it eliminated alot of ringing
but i dont think its a good idea to wrap the catback in it lol.
thanks shodan
ill rock it for now until i hear a better exhaust in person
Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Is there such a thing as a textured coating for exhaust piping to reduce noise?

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
its skunk2 megapower lol

i pickef it up for decent price because 70mm
havent installed it yet but from what i found it seems to be rather loud

after i installed header wrap on my cheap ebay b series header it eliminated alot of ringing
but i dont think its a good idea to wrap the catback in it lol.
thanks shodan
ill rock it for now until i hear a better exhaust in person
ANY of the SKunk2 Exhausts are really annoying. It's one of the few products that they've introduced that I really loathe. Even one of the former managers of the company hated them. Especially the muffler itself. You're just better off replacing the exhaust entirely, really. It's for a track application only. They're just , just awful
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so I tested it with and without
drove it for a day without any coating its really cant be described how painful it is to drive
strangely it quiets down at certain point when you step on it.

took it off and spray and bake with high heat exhaust cramic paint first then sprayed and baked with wrinkle black all the way to the mufflers

drove yesterday and it did improve noticeably no ringing . a lot smoother sound even though still very obnoxious but more manageable
and at 70mph its actually better than greddy evo2 that I had on b series. cruising at that speed is actually reasonable and not annoying.

I'm gonna try wrapping the test pipe and some of the catback piping +silicone spray to keep the water away
and then order the clamp on dampener or steal one from puke and pull and try different spots for scientific purposes
( I saw some people in evo forums wrapping their test pipe and part of the catback with good results)
I had header wrap on my cheapass try-why header for about 5 years and sprayed silicone once a year. had very minimal rust

I actually like how it sounds. jus the decibel level is somewhat annoying

I got it for good deal so its gonna be my test subject #1

I'm also thinking about spraying the end part with sound deadener. it supposed to stand up to 350-400 degrees. and I think it should be ok after the split into dual pipes.
maybe even spray the mufflers lol
its gonna probably look like **** by the time I'm done but I wanna see how far I can take it with keeping good flow without replacing mufflers or adding more resonators
Old 04-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with silencers now. alot more manageable around town
but not as nice of a sound as without silencers...
even though its retarded loud i think the sound is very nice from this exhaust. no rattles or annoying ricer sound
im looking into which type of wrap to use on it and silicone spray and seeing what frequency its resonating at with and without the silencers
without is 120hz with silencers its 110hz
havent tested the freeway drone frequency yet. will do later