Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

how much mystrey oil down sparkplug holes into cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much mystrey oil down sparkplug holes into cylinder?

So i just talked to my shop my car puffs some blue smoke when i step on it and let off and shift gears, it does burn oil, he said its the oil control rings and usally never the valve seals. He told me to try the sea foam or the mystrey oil.

Now he told me to take the spark plugs out and poor some down into the cylinders and let it soak to try to free them up.

how much should i poor down into the cylinder?

I figure its worth a shot, because i dont have the money to replace the rings or the know how to tare down the motor and replace them my self. The car runs and drives great just burns half quart to a quart of royal purple every 3kmi
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: how much mystrey oil down sparkplug holes into cylinder?

Originally Posted by namewasdallas
So i just talked to my shop my car puffs some blue smoke when i step on it and let off and shift gears, it does burn oil, he said its the oil control rings and usally never the valve seals. He told me to try the sea foam or the mystrey oil.

Now he told me to take the spark plugs out and poor some down into the cylinders and let it soak to try to free them up.

how much should i poor down into the cylinder?

I figure its worth a shot, because i dont have the money to replace the rings or the know how to tare down the motor and replace them my self. The car runs and drives great just burns half quart to a quart of royal purple every 3kmi
What kind of car do you have?? The b series engines are notorious for valve guide/seal wear.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell me how it goes because I'm thinking of doing the same thing with MMO

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/stuck-oil-rings-vs-worn-oil-rings-2767274/
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my shop told me the valve guide/seals they have replaced for many people and it will still puff blue smoke and that its always the rings. i was reading some other fourms about MMo just filling the cylinder up with half a cup of it and leting it soak for a few days, and it has free'd peoples rings up like that.

The thing is once it's in how do i get it out? syphin it out ?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone and its a b16a motor
Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stop using royal purple on a DD that ur first mistake
Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by namewasdallas
my shop told me the valve guide/seals they have replaced for many people and it will still puff blue smoke and that its always the rings. i was reading some other fourms about MMo just filling the cylinder up with half a cup of it and leting it soak for a few days, and it has free'd peoples rings up like that.

The thing is once it's in how do i get it out? syphin it out ?
In that case give it a shot. You do not have to syphon it out it will soak down into the pan. You may want to try diffrent brand of oil as well. I had a H22 that used to burn up Mobile1 like a *****. I switched to Valvoline and had no probs at all after that.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st get rid of royal purple.. i wouldnt put that **** in my lawn mower, much less a car.

2nd you are pouring the oil into there to soak the rings.. pour it in there and let it sit over night. doesn't really matter how much as long as its enough. Like a couple of cap fulls should work. Did the car/engine sit for a long time? if not i doubt the rings are stuck..
Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's defiantly the rings...the valve seals hardly ever cause that much smoking/oil consumption especially if the engine has some miles on it.....

as for the royal purple comments...unless you really tried the stuff don't give out oil advice. RP is a very good engine oil and wont cause any of his issues. pictures are worth a thousand words and those pics and info and be found in this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1837288&page=1

you can try pouring seafoam or marvel mystery oil into the cylinders...but it will take a few treatments to see any results IF you have stuck oil control rings. but if they are worn then you need a rebuild.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

RP is designed for racing. not DD's. its thin and expensive. honda's come from the factory woth moble 1 in them for a reason. so thats the brand i stick with
Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tuck1crx
RP is designed for racing. not DD's. its thin and expensive. honda's come from the factory woth moble 1 in them for a reason. so thats the brand i stick with
what on earth are you on.....please stop spreading miss information....don't give out advice.....ever.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alot of ppl have alot of proplems with RP it have never been proven and in my opinion is a gimmick.

and please inform me on what info i provided that was incorrect?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-g...you-think.html
Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1837288&page=5

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1837288&page=9

every engine will have some oil consumption. especially a honda engine that gets abused hard like many people here do. i found reduced consumption running RP engine oil. along with smoother operation and i can run it 5000km+ before it starts to appear dirty on the dipstick. it's far from a gimick like you state. they have been around allot longer than you think and they make great oils. as long as the correct grade is used no one will have any trouble with any engine oil.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

RP is designed for HP. and with increased HP comes decreased reliability with out mods. RP is run in race cars where frequent oil changes and overhalls are normal.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the way i see royal purple is its a synthetic just like any other synthetic and i dont see how its or thing oil, i run 5w-30 just like any other oil so its no different switching from one synthetic to the other. and when i switched from regular castrol gtx 5w-30 it deff reved smoother and oil did stay clean longer.

I had my buddy drive the car today and it barely puffs any smoke, only time it did was when he hit vtec. I got the MMO so this weekend im going to let it soak overnight. I was thinking the smoke could be from running lucus fuel treatment as i put in more then is recommended sometimes and i never run the car past 1/4 tank and for the past month i added it everytime i filled up. but i doubt thats the issue as it wouldnt only happend in vtec ya know?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should pour the mmo into each cylinder then crank it over a little at a time with the spark plugs out so that it splashed the stuff all over the combustion chamber and hopefully down onto the rings so it soaks in. you may have to repeat the process a couple times so ensure you are getting enough down onto the rings..

it will smoke hardcore the next morning when you start the engine up...so be ready to upset some neighbors.....haha
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have to put enough in that its going to have to cover the entire piston to get to the rings, what ever dosnt soak down into the pan the next morning im going to syhpin it out so wont need to crank it over.

the way i see it is its like pooring the stuff into a cup you need enough to cover the bottom, bottom as the top of the piston so it will take a decent amount as i dont want it all to just soak into the pan in like a hour or 2. but i really have no idea how long it will take as ive never done it. So ill put in a ample amount to give it a good soak for 15hrs and see how it works out.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no need to siphon anything out. by the time you get back to it all the extra will have drained past the rings
Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just crank it up and burn off any excess. No harm. Post your results too please.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will do, ive done a bunch of searchs on google and it has free'd up alot of peoples rings, they have said they had some old v8 trucks that would smoke like a chimney and they poored it in the cylinders let it sit for a day or 2 and it free'ed them up. I'm going to do it this weekend so we will see.

What really causes carbon build up on the rings, i run synthetic oil, and always use 93gas. The motor looks super clean on under the valve cover as ive shined a flash light around in there. Maybe the person in japan ran some non synthetic in it. the motor came fresh from Hmotorsonline.

Had a issue today with a surging idle sprayed throttle bodie cleaner in the TB let it sit. It ended up washing out the spark plugs, trying to start it took them out cause the car kept dying and falling on its face, droped in a older set of extra plugs and it ran, but come to find out it was that thing attached to the back of the intake manifold next to the Firewall. Took it off cleaned it with brake cleaner were the screen is idles like new
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's hard to imagine the environment on the cylinder wall with the piston moving up and down 100 times/second. It's very different and harsher than the environment in the valvetrain.

The photos in this thread show some idea https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=stuck+rings

All it probably takes is a few overrev's to start buildup problems.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about pouring Seafoam directly on the pistons?
Isn't it stronger than Mystery Oil?

I'm going through a cleaning phase with Auto-Rx on my GSR motor. About half way through it and I have noticed a big improvement!

Burning oil really sucks!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think seafoam work work better than MMO for breaking up carbon/stuck rings.....
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing with seafoam that ive herd is that you dont want to let it sit more then 10mins as its so strong it takes the oil film cover off bearings and such, i rather use something thats been proven and used for 100years
Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are there any chemical or chemical compond products that are more effective than MMO or Seaforam for cylinder soak procedures (for dissolving carbon and freeing stuck rings ) ?

Quick Reply: how much mystrey oil down sparkplug holes into cylinder?