Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

how many of you b series guys run your mechanical water temp here???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how many of you b series guys run your mechanical water temp here???

well i got me some mechanical gauges for my car so i can monitor my motor more closely... i got a mechanical water temp, oil temp, and oil psi...

im going to put my oil temp right into the oil pan on the lowest part i can go probably pretty close to the drain plug, just not on the bend probably right above the bend... the oil pressure im taking my stock sending unit out because sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt so why keep it...

now my water temp im having a problem, since its mechanical i dont want to take any sensor's out of the head to put it in and some people get the adapter things that you cut the upper radiator hose and run the sending unit there...

my friend was giving me an idea tonight, he was looking at a gsr block and saw that there was a bolt that if you take the bolt out it goes all the way into the coolant ports by the sleeves, so why not get the right size fitting for the hole and run the coolant temp sender there???

heres a pic of what im talking about
Old 06-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why that wouldn't work if you can find the right fitting. I'm running mine in the upper radiator hose though(electronic gauge).
Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to find the correct fittings, BR Fittings has a sticky here somewhere, or PM rota92 he may be able to help you.

BTW don't be surprised when you see the mechanical gauge move when you have your foot into the gas.

They react quicker then the OEM and electronic ones.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (1992Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should be able to find the correct fittings, BR Fittings has a sticky here somewhere, or PM rota92 he may be able to help you.

BTW don't be surprised when you see the mechanical gauge move when you have your foot into the gas.

They react quicker then the OEM and electronic ones.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea im not worried about the mechanical gauge moving when im on it... thats actually why i wanted to get mechanical gauges so when im autocrossing i can monitor the motor alot better..

but with putting the gauge mechanical sending unit in the back of the block.. it wont work, ive been to 3 different speed shops and a few hardware stores... the block is a metric fitting, and all the other fittings are standard.. i mean i can get close to where it threads in a few threads, but i dont want to chance it.. i went to my local speed center and had them order me a autometer hose adapter that you cut the radiator hose and clamp this thing in there and you screw in your mechanical sending unit...

so i got that taken care of.. im not worried about it anymore..

thanks for the help
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how many of you b series guys run your mechanical water temp here???

Could have drilled and tapped the bolt itself to somethin that would have worked