Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Engine block bored out Paint PREP>>>>HELP>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Engine block bored out Paint PREP>>>>HELP>>>>

I recieved my Bored out D16z6 engine block from the machine shop. i sent them semi cleaned by me. but i didn't tell them to hot tank and stuff i taught it was included, but it wasn't so
the engine block is already bored/ decked on the top of the block only.

i want to prep it for paint but scared if it will rust out quick on the deck or the inside bore???? need some quick tips....

What can i use to re clean the block and prep for painting.
i will not send it back to a shop. and they told me it would cost more.
can i use my wire brush attachment on my angle grinder and prep some of the things on the block surface??? but not on the bores/decked area.

and then next spray
simple green loaded in a degreaser bottle let it sit for a while, scrub with water, rinse it off and blow gun dry???

can the decked block get rusted quick if i let sit for a while???
or scrub it with regular dishwasher soap/water mix????

need some tips on washing the already decked/bored its kinda dirty.

can it rust out quickly and damage the dam decked area???
i need to paint my block to make it look fresh...
also i assume i need to remove all oily substances on the engine block assuming the dam paint will not stick. after its all dry can i use brake clean on the bores, top all over to assure all soap etc. then add wd40 etc???? but assuming its oil not to get it on the block surface??? paint stick off

pls let me know anybody tips on PREP b4 i paint it.
i want to use some high temp engine paint duplicolor, primer,color coat, then maybe clear coat...
Old 05-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine block bored out Paint PREP>>>>HELP>>>>

It sounds like you need to completely clean your block for assembly, not just for paint.

I use a gas powered pressure washer, a set of engine brushes from Summit, a bucket of water and detergent, and a spray bottle of WD40. I rinse the block with the pressure washer to get all the big crap off and clean out the small passages. I'll pour some of the detergent/water mix over the block and make sure to get it into the little passages. At that point I run the brushes through all of the little oil passages and drainbacks. Hit it again with the pressure washer really well once again and be sure every little oil passage is thoroughly cleaned out. I spray the WD40 on the bores or any bare/machined iron to keep it from rusting, and then blow out all of the holes and passages with compressed air.

Before you assemble, use paper towels to clean the bores with Acetone and ATF. Alternate between the two until the gray color in the ATF soaked paper towels disappears. This gray grit is honing grit that can ruin your piston rings.

Once it's all clean, you can prep for paint by spraying the block with brake cleaner. This will remove any residual WD40 or water that will prevent the paint from adhering to the block. If the block is already painted, you may want to scuff it up with Scotchbrite, but be careful not to get the block dirty again when you do.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: Engine block bored out Paint PREP>>>>HELP>>>>

Originally Posted by EG1834
It sounds like you need to completely clean your block for assembly, not just for paint.

I use a gas powered pressure washer, a set of engine brushes from Summit, a bucket of water and detergent, and a spray bottle of WD40. I rinse the block with the pressure washer to get all the big crap off and clean out the small passages. I'll pour some of the detergent/water mix over the block and make sure to get it into the little passages. At that point I run the brushes through all of the little oil passages and drainbacks. Hit it again with the pressure washer really well once again and be sure every little oil passage is thoroughly cleaned out. I spray the WD40 on the bores or any bare/machined iron to keep it from rusting, and then blow out all of the holes and passages with compressed air.

Before you assemble, use paper towels to clean the bores with Acetone and ATF. Alternate between the two until the gray color in the ATF soaked paper towels disappears. This gray grit is honing grit that can ruin your piston rings.

Once it's all clean, you can prep for paint by spraying the block with brake cleaner. This will remove any residual WD40 or water that will prevent the paint from adhering to the block. If the block is already painted, you may want to scuff it up with Scotchbrite, but be careful not to get the block dirty again when you do.
can i use simple green degreaser for my engine? and when washing cleaning my engine will will the decked block/bores inside my engine rust fast after cleaning? so after it dries and then i use ATF to clean up?? i don't have Acetone do i have to mix both in paper towels. i have some blue shop towels can i use those???

thanks for the respond, tips
Old 05-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Engine block bored out Paint PREP>>>>HELP>>>>

IMO your better off to have the machine shop clean it to make sure all the metal chips are out of it.

How much time and money are you going spend trying to clean it. Hoping you got all the metal out of it. If you don't get all the metal out and it get's in the oil system and into the bearings...what's that going to cost you ?