Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (did search)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (did search)

Recently my b16 eg decided to die on me. I pulled the plugs and I am not getting any spark. I am pretty confident that it is my distributor. I was just wondering how I would go about checking the coil and igniter. It is a 94 gsr distributor. Thanks for any info
Old 01-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (ill94hatch)

with the ignition off , remove the distributor cap
remove the 2 screws to disconnect the black and yellow wire from terminal A and White /blue from terminal B of the coil...
use and ohmmeter ,check resistance between terminals. replace the coil is it's not in spec..
check the primary winding resistance between terminals A and B is 0.6 - 0.8 ohms
chec that the secondary winding resistance between terminal A and coil tower is
9760 - 14640
replace coil if not in spec..
this is off a 90-93 LS distributor..im pretty sure it's the same
Old 01-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (93FastLs)

thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 PM

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (ill94hatch)

If you want to check the ignitor, disconnect ir from the coil and put a test light at the coil wires. Crank the engine, you should have a blining light if the ignitor works.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (boostn420)

Need to use a logic probe or graphing meter in order to properly test for signal and its integrity (i.e.. signature waveform) to and from the ignitor. A regular 12v test light does not work. And just testing for light blinking only gives half the story of the ignitors condition.

To check the signal from the ignitor to the coil, check black wire with yellow tracer going from ignitor to ignition coil.

To check the signal from the ECM to the ignitor, test at yellow wire with green tracer at the ignitor.

Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (93FastLs)

Hi there,

How do I replace the igniter in my 1990 Integra?

A couple of weeks ago, my Integra stalled without notice. I tried restarting it, even though it cranked over, it wouldn't start. I thought I flooded the engine ... I waited a day and the car started just fine. However at 2000 rpm and higher the car started to sputter. The tech needle jumps like crazy.

I check the plugs and there was no spark. I removed a spark plug and notice that the plugs were extremely dirty.

I then proceeded to replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and then the ignition coil. All of which didn't solve the problem.

Now ... after doing some further research and reading ... I think its the Igniter itself.

How do I go about replacing the igniter on my car?
Old 04-17-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (jyipdragon)

its fairly easy u just find the igniter (the little rectangle thing with 4 plugs 3 on top 1 on the side) undo all the wires unscrew the two screws holding it in place on the distributor and pull it out its not hard at all

Edit: i didnt go through how to take off the distributor and cap and rotor cuz u said u changed ur coil already and u should know how to do all that
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (boostn420)

Originally Posted by hondatim
Need to use a logic probe or graphing meter in order to properly test for signal and its integrity (i.e.. signature waveform) to and from the ignitor. A regular 12v test light does not work. And just testing for light blinking only gives half the story of the ignitors condition.

To check the signal from the ignitor to the coil, check black wire with yellow tracer going from ignitor to ignition coil.

To check the signal from the ECM to the ignitor, test at yellow wire with green tracer at the ignitor.

Hope this helps
Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: how to check igniter and coil in a distributor (did search)

hondatim, Can you further explain these tests? Just what am I looking for? My Honda manual just says to check these wires...check what? My Haynes manual lists resistance but does not say resistance between what...My coil seems to Ohm out to specs, the igniter will flash a light, but I have no spark. I do have voltage to the distributor with the key on (pos. and neg. terminals). Thanks!