Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

hours of research still no answer. SURGING IDLE pls help.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hours of research still no answer. SURGING IDLE pls help.

i have literaly been through the archives and back. and have tried many things but still no luck.

motor: B18c5
car: 98 itr- jumped to obd1

problem: most of the time has fluctuating idle. 12-1600 rpm

i have tried: purging air from coolant, checked hoses, checked tps voltage, adjusted and unadjusted idler screw, cleaned iacv, adjusted throttle cable.

things that seem to work but arent perminant: with the car on and idle surging i can sometimes press the defrost button for my back window and it will stop surging. i can also sometimes turn the heat all the way to 4 and it will sometimes straiten out. they wiol work until i start driving again. when i come to another stop, it goes back to surging, even with the heat and defrost on.
the other day i had the intake arm off and the idle surging. i covered the top hole in the TB and it straitened the idle out.
now this leads me to believe it two possible things, coolant based or electrical.

-i have bled the coolant a million times. i run it with the cap off. is this the right way to go about it or am i missing some sort of air in the system?

-the other night i had my lights on for about 20 minutes and it killed the battery. the battery is relatively new and upon testing with the multimeter reads 12.6 volts. could the alternator be causeing the surging?

-upon fidlding in the engine bay i found a wire hanging dangerously close to the alternator belt. it may have possibly worn through the sheathing. could a poorly covered wire cause the surging?
when i jump the service connector, i get a code for the vehicle speed sensor. i think this would be the only thing related to that wire.

i would appreciate any help i can get.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: hours of research still no answer. SURGING IDLE pls help. (1slowcivic)

unplug the purge control solenoid
Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hours of research still no answer. SURGING IDLE pls help. (.Lloyd Braun)

good info! ill give it a shot. thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hours of research still no answer. SURGING IDLE pls help. (grubere)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grubere &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unplug the purge control solenoid</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm wheres that again?ha