Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Honda Diagnostic Sysytem (HDS) on PC for home use..Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Diagnostic Sysytem (HDS) on PC for home use..Is it possible?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been on model specific Honda forums in the past for my Pilot and my wife's old CR-V. I just discovered this one while trying to solve an issue I'm having.

I'd like to have use of the Honda HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) at my home to help with repairs on my '06 Pilot. I found on eBay a seller where I bought the HDS software for a PC and the OBDII to USB adapter ("MINI-VCI J2534"). The HDS software is running on my laptop but it doesn't recognize the OBDII adapter.

I've tried installing a different driver for the J2534 device and even different versions of the HDS software.

So my questions are:
  1. Is this an acceptable topic for this forum? While I did buy the adapter and software in good faith I don't know for a fact that this is legitimate for me to use.
  2. If this is an acceptable topic, has anyone here successfully gotten the HDS software with an OBDII adapter to work on their Honda?

If someone is familiar with this and could offer some tips that would be greatly appreciated! I intentionally did not post all of the gory details of my setup to not bore everyone here. If someone out there knows about this stuff then I'll post all of the detailed information.

Thanks in advance!
Larry.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default re: Honda Diagnostic Sysytem (HDS) on PC for home use..Is it possible?

HDS does indeed work on a Laptop,it is the preferred method of use for aftermarket repair shops. However you cannot use any OBD2 connector. It must be a software specific vehicle interface.

Additionally, any automotive diagnostic software you buy on Ebay has a 99.9% chance of being pirated and fake and probably wont work correctly.

HDS software is timed to a software license. when the timer expires,the software cannot be used.(they offer 1 day,30 day and yearly subscriptions)The original software can be downloaded from Honda for free,and you only need to pay when you wish to activate it,but you still need a vehicle interface.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...001_TOOLS1.htm
Old 11-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Honda Diagnostic Sysytem (HDS) on PC for home use..Is it possible?

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
HDS does indeed work on a Laptop,it is the preferred method of use for aftermarket repair shops. However you cannot use any OBD2 connector. It must be a software specific vehicle interface.

Additionally, any automotive diagnostic software you buy on Ebay has a 99.9% chance of being pirated and fake and probably wont work correctly.

HDS software is timed to a software license. when the timer expires,the software cannot be used.(they offer 1 day,30 day and yearly subscriptions)The original software can be downloaded from Honda for free,and you only need to pay when you wish to activate it,but you still need a vehicle interface.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...001_TOOLS1.htm
Thanks for the link! So it seems that the software is very reasonably priced (only $10 to use for a day) but the interface is $2,000 to $3,000! I was hoping to find something a little cheaper. Maybe under $100.

It's looking like having an HDS for home use is really not a reasonable expectation for me. I do have an Autel MD808 Pro that works well and does most of what I would need.

Thanks!
Larry.