Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Help me with my rear main seal! I have a few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my rear main seal! I have a few questions!

I am in the middle of doing a clutch installation in my car for my first time...

I have had a small oil leak since I bought the car a few years ago and figured it was the rear main seal. So, I decided to replace it while I have the tranny out of the car...

I took the old seal out and tapped the new one into place, using the old seal as a guide...

** Here's my question! **

Did I tap the rear main seal too far in? Should it be flush with the outer edge or pushed all the way in?

Here's what I'm talking about...

If this is going to be a problem, I would rather pull it out and buy a new main seal, rather than continuing to leak oil...

Also, yesterday afternoon was when I put the new main seal in and this morning I went out to the garage to find this...

There is a little bit of oil accumulated at the bottom of the new seal... ****....

Could that just be the oil that I used to lube the seal up when I installed it? Or, should I drop the pan, take off the retaining bracket, and replace all the gaskets?

Anyways, I'm just trying to figure out if I installed the seal correctly!

I've never replaced a rear main seal, or even pulled a tranny before so I'm learning bit by bit, I would appreciate any feedback and advice you can give!

Thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help me with my rear main seal! I have a few questions! (EJ1 wilcox)

the seal calls for .5-.8mm clearance between the seal and the cover( measuring from the back).
make sure is even all around
Old 02-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me with my rear main seal! I have a few questions! (mmuller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mmuller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the seal calls for .5-.8mm clearance between the seal and the cover( measuring from the back).
make sure is even all around</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you say "measuring from the back" do you mean from the lip of the cover to the seal? If so, I think there is about 2mm clearance which is way too much!

I've talked to a few friends who have all said that the seal is supposed to be pushed all the way in, like I have it....

Old 02-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Mad Scientist

Default Re: Help me with my rear main seal! I have a few questions! (EJ1 wilcox)

yes you measure from the back side of the cover, pointing towards the crank.
take the cover off and you'll see what im talking about.
put a feeler gauge in there and meqasure clearance. My friend helms told me
Old 02-14-2005, 09:07 AM

That does look like it's in too far. I forget how far I put mine in when I rebuilt my engine, but I can check my manual when I get home. What motor is this anyway?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me with my rear main seal! I have a few questions! (Honda Hick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Hick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That does look like it's in too far. I forget how far I put mine in when I rebuilt my engine, but I can check my manual when I get home. What motor is this anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a d16z6...

My flywheel is downstairs in the machine shop right now and should be done in an hour or so... I will be putting my new ACT XTSS clutch on soon! I hate being without boost!

Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to go ahead and pull this one out and replace it with another new one... the whole main seal set only costs me about $6... so it's no big deal...

Next time I wont push it all the way in!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:30 PM

Don't let it upset you.. I think most people usually get it wrong the first time with these types of seals. I had a similar thing happen when I was replacing my axle/differential seals on my last tranny.

Good luck with the rest of your build!