Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Assistance Needed: Competition Clutch - Is it me? Or Is This Abnormal Wear?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: Competition Clutch - Is it me? Or Is This Abnormal Wear?

Hi,

After i disassemble my engine saw my Comp Clutch stage 4 disc completely, destroyed, it has about 2k miles on it, 2 drag contest with no more than 15 passes, and street tune time, I think I change this clutch about 4-6 months, it is not my daily ride but i do ride it for fun on the street,

can you guys identify what is wrong with it? this is my second clutch disc in a very short time, hopefully some one can point me to the right direction to solve my problem, as i don't want to change clutches often

My car is a boosted EM1 pushing 20 psi on a PTE 6062 around 400-350 WHP

Thanks

Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Assistance Needed: Competition Clutch - Is it me? Or Is This Abnormal Wear?

Normal break in time is about 400-500 miles easy on the clutch anyway. Then you're doing 15 passes on it before even the 2,000 mile mark with this clutch.

Call me an idiot, but it seems from this pattern of wear, you're not breaking in fully, then engaging the disk at a very high rpm in your drag contests. You're destroying material because you may not be slipping well enough.

Basically, stop doing what you're doing. Longer break-in duration, and fewer events after that mileage. Learn to slip the clutch a bit better. Then you'll stop going through so many.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed: Competition Clutch - Is it me? Or Is This Abnormal Wear?

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Normal break in time is about 400-500 miles easy on the clutch anyway. Then you're doing 15 passes on it before even the 2,000 mile mark with this clutch.

Call me an idiot, but it seems from this pattern of wear, you're not breaking in fully, then engaging the disk at a very high rpm in your drag contests. You're destroying material because you may not be slipping well enough.

Basically, stop doing what you're doing. Longer break-in duration, and fewer events after that mileage. Learn to slip the clutch a bit better. Then you'll stop going through so many.
Thank you so much for the input, will try to do what you reccomend, Indeed i'm engaging the disc at 8-9 k rpm for drag, how would you consider a good slipping would be?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Javcolin
Thank you so much for the input, will try to do what you reccomend, Indeed i'm engaging the disc at 8-9 k rpm for drag, how would you consider a good slipping would be?
It looks like you had the clutch adjusted incorrectly as well. You need to have free play in the pedal to make sure that the pressure plate is clamping down totally. With a racing clutch it can seem normal at first because it won't slip, but it's quickly wearing itself out and burning everything to death. Competition clutches usually are much more difficult to drive than stock if they're set up properly because they will grab quick and hard.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BattleGround
It looks like you had the clutch adjusted incorrectly as well. You need to have free play in the pedal to make sure that the pressure plate is clamping down totally. With a racing clutch it can seem normal at first because it won't slip, but it's quickly wearing itself out and burning everything to death. Competition clutches usually are much more difficult to drive than stock if they're set up properly because they will grab quick and hard.
Will look into this when i put my engine together, although i remember adjusting the clutch as per CC instructions, but could be the problem. Thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 09:14 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

you are launching the car at 8-9k?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Caoboy
seems normal for a drag car on slicks
Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by DickensA
seems normal for a drag car on slicks
Umm... No. that is not normal on a drag car with slicks.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
No I'am not launching at 8k rpms, that is the shifting point as Mac. pointed out, he was in the ball park
Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Umm... No. that is not normal on a drag car with slicks.
I know it is not, thus my concern on why i'm wearing them rather fast, as you said could be the brake in time, which is pretty none.!

Do you think I will have the same result if i jump to a Twin disc? or they could live at least for a year instead of just 4 months or so.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 06:51 AM

I know it is not, thus my concern on why i'm wearing them rather fast, as you said could be the brake in time, which is pretty none.!

Do you think I will have the same result if i jump to a Twin disc? or they could live at least for a year instead of just 4 months or so.

Thanks
Yep. you'll actually make it worse, and spend more money in the process of attempting to enjoy your "twin clutch glory". .This is not a matter of Twin vs. Single. You have to use patience before going to any events, by giving the clutch a proper break-in period, and start practicing on "slipping" the clutch a bit more. That's only going to come with time and practice. You're doing this at these events with a full adrenaline-rush, and therefore, your just going for the gusto.

So, for this next clutch, break it in for 400-500 miles, stay away from the events and wait at least past your next oil change before going to an event to participate.
In addition, before ordering your next clutch, know what torque you're making before purchasing your next selection. It could also be that you're not getting enough pressure plate for your torque rating.

You'll be fine.. You just have to have patience...
Old 05-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep. you'll actually make it worse, and spend more money in the process of attempting to enjoy your "twin clutch glory". .This is not a matter of Twin vs. Single. You have to use patience before going to any events, by giving the clutch a proper break-in period, and start practicing on "slipping" the clutch a bit more. That's only going to come with time and practice. You're doing this at these events with a full adrenaline-rush, and therefore, your just going for the gusto.

So, for this next clutch, break it in for 400-500 miles, stay away from the events and wait at least past your next oil change before going to an event to participate.
In addition, before ordering your next clutch, know what torque you're making before purchasing your next selection. It could also be that you're not getting enough pressure plate for your torque rating.

You'll be fine.. You just have to have patience...
Mac,

Thanks A lot for the great feed back as always your are a great contributor, will exercise all the keypoints you gave me,
Old 05-05-2017, 02:12 PM

Mac,

Thanks A lot for the great feed back as always your are a great contributor, will exercise all the keypoints you gave me,