Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Help! Cruise not working, brake lights not working, blown fuse!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Cruise not working, brake lights not working, blown fuse!

Ok, on my 99 Si I noticed the other day when I hit my keyless to lock the doors twice, it didn't beep. Hm. Well I was at work so I didn't worry about it till later.

While driving on the way home, i noticed my cruise didn't work. Huh. So I go home and check the fuses inside. There is a cruise control fuse, 7.5 amp, it's good. So I look under the hood and see a horn fuse. It's 15A, i replace it, and as soon as i hit the horn button i hear a slight click inside and the fuse blows. I get out my helm and look at the wiring for the circuit. Looks like that fuse goes through my cruise control, horn, ABS (which i don't have) and my brake lights and brake switch, and the ECM! I just realized i've been driving around the past few days with no brake lights.

Anyway, I guess it's obvious that i have a short. I do have a VAFC wired in, but I saudered all the connections and wrapped them with electrical tape. Keep in mind that i've had this 6 months no problems. I do have some gauges wired up here and there, but i'm usually pretty good wiring stuff up and covering them. I guess i'll have to recheck this stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should check first? Could a faulty brake switch cause these problems? I'm going to look at the problem when i get out of work, i gotta go now.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Help! Cruise not working, brake lights not working, blown fuse! (mechanik)

Update: Right before i went to work i replaced the fuse and instead of blowing it by hitting the horn, i tapped the brakes causing the brake lights to turn on. I assume my cruise control would work too. Then i hit the horn and the fuse blew SKY HIGH!!!! (Well it just blew ) Still need help tho!

[Modified by mechanik, 5:34 PM 6/14/2002]
Old 06-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help! Cruise not working, brake lights not working, blown fuse! (mechanik)

If the fuse doesn't blow until you hit the horn, obviously the trouble lies in that circuit. Could be a shorted horn element, relay, or the wiring between the parts that's pinched or chafed to ground.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Help! Cruise not working, brake lights not working, blown fuse! (Perfectionist)

Another thing too, since it's friday night, i'm going bowling. Anyway, the weird thing is my buddy with a 97 EX with some mods has the EXACT same problem. His has been around for a while. I knew his brakelights were not working, so i asked him if his horn works and he like 'no!" then i ask if his cruise works... no. I'm like damn I have the same problem. It just creeped up out of nowhere. I wonder if this is a common problem. Anyway, electrical problems are a bitch! But i'll check it out soon.

Until then, has anyone else experienced this problem!?!