Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

I need some AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some AC

I recently bought a 95 civic coupe with a 99-00 si b16a2. The guy I bought it from decided to removed the AC and power steering when he swapped for more power. I want to reinstall the AC but I'm not sure what parts I will need. It does have the blower motor. Basically he said he just removed everything from underneath the hood. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: I need some AC

I think your best option would be to pick up a bracket like this from Hasport. there are probably other companies that make them too. it should allow you to just replace the entire system as an OE '95 civic unit. look at the local self-service junk yard for a 5th gen civic that has all of the underhood components you need. this should keep the cost down. order an O-ring kit. I got mine from Rockauto. you'll also want to get a new compressor (no telling what condition the ones in the junk yard are in) new filter/dryer, and a new expansion valve (under the dash). this is the "right" way to do it.

when you have everything together, flush everything out (all lines, condenser and evaporator core) with whichever flush fluid is recommended/required by the compressor manufacturer. I used a Four-Seasons compressor and they required "Dura-Flush II" to keep the warranty intact.

then you can assemble everything with the new O-rings (they need a little refrig. oil on them to keep them from binding) and take the car to a professional to add the R134a. you could do it yourself with the bottles from the auto parts store... but these systems can be pretty sensitive to incorrect charge quantities and you would need to rent a vacuum pump to use prior to charging. A good shop with the right equipment can vacuum it down, check for leaks and then add just the right amount of oil and refrigerant.

I did mine this way about a year and a half ago. it's still working like new! it cost me between $300 and $400 in the end. about $1,000 less than a shop would have charged me for the whole job. It's a lot of work but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So even though it's a different engine the 95 OE system will fit with this bracket?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshk5
So even though it's a different engine the 95 OE system will fit with this bracket?
that's the purpose of that bracket. It's meant to allow the OE system to be used with an engine swap. but to be 100% sure, don't take my word for it. contact the guys at Hasport to confirm this is the right solution.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the help.