Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

GSR Trans. Issue 5th Pops Out (Oil level is finel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Trans. Issue 5th Pops Out (Oil level is finel)

I got a gsr transmission for free when I was purchasing ek linkages, mounts, clutch, starter, ect.. for my Bseries into EK build. I took it in as parts and decided to rebuild it with new bearings and seals.

I wanted it for parts or possible rebuild. I took it apart and wanted to see how it looked from inside. A bearing broke on countershaft. there is two bearings that sit together followed by a big axle size nut to secure. well one was partially broken and i found the piece layin around. Nothing looks damaged besides bearings looked burnt on bottom. My theory is, the dude who closed the transmission did not put it together correctly. He might have used a hammer to close it flush and then used bolts to tighten up the casing. Either way, Ive inspected for damages and wanted to further try to fix it and get it going.

So ive purchased a bearing kit from syncrotech and purchased a taper cone from honda and some other things; snap ring, bolts, springs for the gears and all that stuff. Replaced bearings on bottom part of the shafts (upon removing them from casing). I sealed it and did the normal method to install the casings together. It went smooth, I had the snap ring close and all it went well in the process.

I installed it, try to shift into gears, it wouldnt even get out of the gear it was. it was stuck, the same way the guy explained it to me when he try to drive his car. I expected something so I wasnt upset, Ive purchased a used Shift gear assembly from a friend in good shape. I installed it and put the transmission back on and the car drove. Shift was excellent and it seemed rebuilt and everything was gliding and i couldnt be happier. Suddenly, i had a issue. It was hard to get into gear, it was popping out of 5th and it didnt feel right.

My stupid *** didnt install the bolt the goes on top of the transmission when installed on teh car. Its right under the transmission mount, just a Bolt and a washer that goes in there. So, i drove it like that for a while and in the process of fixing my head gasket and some of the coolant or dirty or whatever got into the little hole where the bolt was suppose to be. It also drained the fluid obviously because it was pouring out of the transmission and hit my starter and killed my starter. My whole engine bay intake side was wet with oil. So I knew i was missing oil and had other liquid in my transmission that i was driving on. I dont drive this car to work or anywhere. I just take it close by my house, rip it and bring it back in the garage.

My question is, after I took it apart again, cleaned all the bearings, and gears and everything and installed a new Stopper that sits right under the bearing. The stopper is the piece you put at a certain angle to install the casings together. Well, it had been chewed to the point it wouldnt work as a stopper for the gear on top. So I changed it and bought new bolts, *****, springs for the 2 slots on the outside transmission. and the bolt that i first forgot to install up on top. I filled it up with oil and drove off. It shifted better, it wasnt hard at all in any gears, and it picked up nicely. However 5th gear is still popping out, I think i damaged it all the way with low fluid or dirty liquid that made the skinny round metal piece that goes in the synco bad?? or the gear itself?

excuse my grammer, i havent been on a computer or on this site for yearss.

Last edited by Fantastic420; 03-31-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GSR Trans. Issue 5th Pops Out (Oil level is finel)

Did you install a new full set of synchros and synchro rings ? Sounds like you need a new 5th gear. If you replaced a good amount of stuff you should check the clearances but normally bearings are made fairly precisely.