Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

*SOLVED* B18C Turbo. No Spark, But After new Ignitor, all is good.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *SOLVED* B18C Turbo. No Spark, But After new Ignitor, all is good.

ok so i made a trade with a buddy of mine who has a boosted gsr in a crx pretty much a full build other than sleeves. car has been fully rewired with arc switch panel. he built the car all new everything has a new distributor but has also sat for maybe a year he would heat cycle it every couple weeks so it wasnt just sitting. i went to pick it up had a dead battery so we put a jump pack on it. fired rite off drove it onto the trailer. got home from about a 2.5 hour drive, tried to jump it and it wouldnt start. checked for spark and has no spark. also has arc switch panel and the whole car has been rewired. ive checked all the wiring and everything checks out. nothing has changed in terms of wiring. all i did was trailer it. i havent put a new battery in it yet because i plan on dragging the car and still has some things that i want to do before spending money on a new battery. im wondering if the igniter or the icm is bad? im wondering if it could be bad due to it sitting and not really being driven except for a few times. could it go bad that fast? really has me stumped as to why it would fire rite away then 2.5hrs later no spark at all. ive added another ground thinking maybe its a grounding issue with no change. thanks HT
Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: *SOLVED* B18C Turbo. No Spark, But After new Ignitor, all is good.

Battery is bad because possibly arc switch is a voltage drain. Time to break out the voltmeter and track voltage loss. That's pretty much it.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Battery is bad because possibly arc switch is a voltage drain. Time to break out the voltmeter and track voltage loss. That's pretty much it.
I do unhook the battery when I'm done working on the car so the arc isnt constantly draining like you said. I'm just confused as to why the sudden loss of spark when nothing has changed. I have to get a new voltmeter because mine took a crap and I currently cant drive and live out of town thats why I havent done any of that yet. Will update on further troubleshooting. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Remove distributor cap and inspect the internals. Also pull the CEL codes.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Yup. Check out all your dizzy internals. I JUST went through this on my EG. Car worked beautifully then while driving to the store, BAM. Dead. Towed home.. wondered wtf.. I tested EVERYTHING but the dizzy. Finally, testing showed no power to the ICM. On even further inspection, one of the wires just suddenly and mysteriously semi- ate itself. It looked like it was overheated and partially melted. Anywho.. Start small like that, then go on to the bigger stuff. If at first all your other wiring looks good, that's a plus. If you're not getting power to your coil/icm, you'll wanna know why. Then you can go door to door, well, wire to wire! For the sake of your sanity, start there if you haven't done it yet. If your dizzy internals check out. You're gonna be chasing a rabbit, son...
Old 05-06-2018, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Solved this issue. Bad ignitor thanks for the advice
Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Glad you got it fixed.