Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

GSR Crank/Rods pn a B16. What pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 GSR Crank/Rods pn a B16. What pistons

OK so i have sourced a GSR crank and some Eagle GSR rods for free. I want to put them into my B16 and i am broke so cheaper is better. I Know I will have to go custom size pistons but I have heard that the skirt will be really small and the motor will smoke. Their was a post about a guy that sold these 82mm pistons for this app. but it seemed like everybody wanted to beat him up cause he didn't do his business very well. So what I am asking for is if anybody has done this and does/can this setup work?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Crank/Rods pn a B16. What pistons

anybody? i am rying to decide if i should boost or not. if his set-up is not very good then i will try anoher so it would help with some feed back please.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just boost your b16 the way it is! you already have a very favorable r/s ratio! why dump money into something that's going to blow? keep those rods and put them into a b18c block!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr crank and rods wont work in a b16. deck height is different. i would buy a gsr block if you could find one for a deal. then just get gsr pistons and your good to go.

or you can boost the b16. how much wheel are you looking for? stock b16s love boost and put down some nice power. i know mine does.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Crank/Rods on a B16. What pistons

Well my stock B16 block has some issues. It makes a metal on metal rubbing sound and I am waiting for it to crash. I had a blown GSR block that had a busted piston and a cracked sleeve that I had taken the crank and rods from. Yea, I would love to find a B18 block but really haven't found one that was in my price range. As for how much I want well I would love to have 700 plus HP but I don't have money. So I would be very happy with anything over 300. I have a few parts that I have been collecting such as a BLOX valve train, Buddy Club Spec 3 cams, HKS cam gears, half of a eBay turbo kit: turbo, inter-cooler, manifold, and the GSR crank and Eagle Rods. So i am trying to figure out the best cheapest most reliable way.

Oh and i did hear it was possible to use GSR Crank/Rods on a B16 with custom pistons
Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your looking to save money and cant find a price for a block that fits you, then idk how you would afford customs pistons, lol. it would be cheaper to get a ls or gsr block for 100 bucks and buy gsr pistons.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR block 100 bucks??? Well I guess I havent been looking had enough or in the right places!!! OH, wait maybe I havent really been looking that much at all, LOL. I am still trying just to figure everything out. Thats why I am here on this post yes you are right if I can find a GSR bare block for 100 bucks well **** im all in but im trying to figure it out still and sorry if i seem a lil ignorant so your info is helpful.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, i picked up a complete jdm itr shortblock for 250. was through a friend but theres deals out there. just gotta look and ask around. i picked that up cause i bought some je's from a friend for a deal and a half. now i just spent like 900 bucks on the rest of the build. lol. prolly worst mistake ever. haha. jp.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM
R.I.P. Andy

Originally Posted by SilentHeaven
GSR block 100 bucks??? Well I guess I havent been looking had enough or in the right places!!! OH, wait maybe I havent really been looking that much at all, LOL. I am still trying just to figure everything out. Thats why I am here on this post yes you are right if I can find a GSR bare block for 100 bucks well **** im all in but im trying to figure it out still and sorry if i seem a lil ignorant so your info is helpful.

if you were in washington I'd let you have a gsr block thats in my backyard for free lol.

seriously though, if you think a bare gsr block is expensive you are crazy, pistons that will have to be custom made to meet the needs of your application ie. higher wristpin location to compensate for the b16's shorter deck height, will be much more expensive than a bare gsr block and some stock p72, or pr4 slugs and new rings.

example:

plan a 1.6 block:

custom pistons and new rings/wristpins
$500 or more

plan b: 1.8 block:

bare gsr block $100
81.5mm p72 or pr4 slugs/hastings rings $150 or cheaper
bore/hone $100

plan b would be more reliable as the wristpins would be where they are supposed to be, and its cheaper.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea OK I think I got it now. See I was thinking a GSR bare block was upwards of 500 or more since the GSR short block is bout 1000 or more. I do want it to last and I will boost it so the 1.8 it will be. I was just leaning towards the 1.6 to be a little sneaky and actually have 1.8, but I also wanted the reliability. So I guess you cant have the best of both worlds without lots of money or a bone stock civic for reliability and a 30 PSI stroked out K series pushing 800 plus for fun!!!!

Thanks for all the info and maybe one day, just one day, I will complete my car.