Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Getting tires mounted, do you need new valve stems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting tires mounted, do you need new valve stems?

The tards at Walmart kept saying I need new ones cause they have to break the old ones (or something to that extent) when they take off my tires. At first the guy said it was recommended to replace them, then I was like "so they're recommended and not required right?". Then he changed it up and said they won't mount my tires if I don't get new valve stems. Do I really need new ones? I've mounted tires at other places and they didn't say a thing about valve stems. I also did it at Walmart before and he asked me if I wanted new ones and I said no. This is bringing my own tires in to get mounted. They're just trying to make an extra $1.75 out of me eh?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting tires mounted, do you need new valve stems? (94TealCivic)

Alot of times to relieve the air pressure in the tire (so they can break the bead) they will rip them out. This is what I always did when I did tire mounting. Whats the big deal about getting new valve stems anyway? No, they don't have to be changed, but if your changing tires it is recomended.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Getting tires mounted, do you need new valve stems? (PhatOptimo)

Well I actually need to swap tires between 2 sets of wheels so that's 8 valve stems x $1.75 so that's an extra $14. I'm just gonna sell them anyways so why pay more. I mean the old ones are still useable no?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 PM

btw what's "the bead"?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:06 PM

if your going to be changing tires soo often then you dont need to change the stems. for normal people who change tires every 4 years, its wise to change them because over time they can let air leak out.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To remove the tire you have to "break the bead" which is done by a hydraulic actuated arm. The arm presses on the side of the tires and forces the tire to break free from the rim. If you look at a tire that is not mounted to a rim you will notice around the part that rides on the rim its reinforced. This is know as the bead. Anyways you shouldn't have to buy the valve stems. Usually the valve stems are in the road hazzard package. Most places will not swap tires for people. The place I worked at their policy was that you had to buy the tire there before they would mount it unless it was your buddy tires. So they really don't have to swap them if they don't feel like it.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't have to replace them, I usually go 1-2 yrs without replacing, but it is recommended that your change stems everytime you change tires.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatOptimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To remove the tire you have to "break the bead" which is done by a hydraulic actuated arm. The arm presses on the side of the tires and forces the tire to break free from the rim. If you look at a tire that is not mounted to a rim you will notice around the part that rides on the rim its reinforced. This is know as the bead. Anyways you shouldn't have to buy the valve stems. Usually the valve stems are in the road hazzard package. Most places will not swap tires for people. The place I worked at their policy was that you had to buy the tire there before they would mount it unless it was your buddy tires. So they really don't have to swap them if they don't feel like it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i think it's bullshit, and possibly discrimination. i went to walmart and the same guy who said it was RECOMMENDED to change valve stems then later on tells me he won't swap tires unless i change them lets this white lady replace her battery for free under warranty even though her receipt showed that it was no longer under warranty. this is an outrage!! too bad there's probably nothing i can do about it
Old 12-07-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whys it gotta be a "white" lady?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Getting tires mounted, do you need new valve stems? (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whys it gotta be a "white" lady?</TD></TR></TABLE>

cause she was white... is that politically incorrect to say?