Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

GAS SMELL IN CABIN WHILE WINDOWS ARE DOWN!!! NEED ASSISTANCE ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 GAS SMELL IN CABIN WHILE WINDOWS ARE DOWN!!! NEED ASSISTANCE ASAP!!!

Hey HT heads,

I got a quick question about my 96 Accord EX...

HELP ME STOP GETTING HIGH OFF OF GAS FUMES, PLEASEEEE!!!

I just got it about 2 weeks ago and I can't seem to find out what's the problem. I'm getting gas vapors inside the car. I took it to the muffler shop and replaced the muffler and resonator, put in new NGK Spark plugs, EGR valve (Auto) and cleaned the injectors. I was thinking the charcoal canister or fuel filter, or maybe even the cat converter... If any of you have had this problem and might know a solution, (other than dropping the tank, or replacing the fuel filter) let me know ASAP... If you need more info, let me know!

96 Accord EX
F22B1 SOHC V-Tec Engine
Bone Stock
Exhaust mani heat shield still intact... (might be the ex mani?) Let me know!

Thanks in advance!

-DA93INTEGRA <------ My first love! haha
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GAS SMELL IN CABIN WHILE WINDOWS ARE DOWN!!! NEED ASSISTANCE ASAP!!!

TTT!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: GAS SMELL IN CABIN WHILE WINDOWS ARE DOWN!!! NEED ASSISTANCE ASAP!!!

Check all fuel lines?
Fuel injector seals or orings?
Pressure regulator oring?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks HPH, I will try that... Anything else peoples? TTT
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Check all fuel lines?
Fuel injector seals or orings?
Pressure regulator oring?
Ditto that^^^ first things I would check.

Question, is this a "raw" gas smell or the smell of an engine running rich? 94
Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That happened to me once..
Terrible raw gas smell, happened to be the banjo fitting going to fuel pump wasn't tight enough. Had a very very slow leak. weirdest thing was I hadn't touched it in awhile.
might as well check that too lol
Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Trial User

Hi all,
I am new here and I have a similar problem with my 95 accord. My ac seems to blow gasoline fumes only during the day time when it is very hot outside and I am stuck in rush hour or when I am parked and have the engine running while I am waiting. It doesn't occur immediately, the engine has to be running for some time and then it should be about 110 F outside. I just took the car up on a long drive to Payson and didn't have any fuel fume issues until I came back to Phoenix and when I got stuck in rush hour the smell started again.
I took it to my mechanic and we noticed that the smell seemed to be coming from the fuel line underneath the car but we couldn't make sense of it. It seemed like smell was coming right there form the canal were the fuel and fuel lines are located but we couldn't see any leakage or cracks. I added some uv dye to my gas and hope this will help to find the problem in case it is a hairline crack in the fuel line. If any of you has any thoughts and ideas please let me know.
Thank you,
Berti
Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: I know its been a minute since this was started... I conquered the smell of gas in the cabin by taking it to a mechanic who dropped the tank and found a hole the size of a "pen hole" guess the stupid people who had the car before me tried to install an amp or some part of a system in the on top of the tank and punctured it... Cost some $$$ because he had to drop the tank... Had him weld the hole and NO problems of gas ever since... Thanks for all your replies. As for the recent reply, I'm not sure man. check your cap.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

berti: Sometimes these lines rust out under the car. It's a fairly easy fix, though: Get some high pressure fuel line hose at the parts store and some fuel hose clamps. Total cost: like $5. Under the car you need to use some tube cutters to cut out the problem section of line, then install the hose. If someone tells you you need to replace the whole line they are trying to steal your money.

However, note that this is not a permanent fix - the fuel line will likely eventually crack and need to be replaced in about 5 to 10 years, depending on driving conditions.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Trial User

First of all thank you guys for your responses !
Unfortunately I didn't get lucky with the dye yet. The fuel lines don't show any sign of rust at all since this honda was located in Phoenix most of it's life but a hairline crack could be the issue. Have you done this job with the tube cutters on the fuel line deschlong? Didn't you have to drop the fuel line for that?
I looked up the fuel lines and found it as low as $85. If I would know that this would fix the problem I would totally replace it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Except it's a massive headache dropping the whole line. There's a ton of other stuff in the way and it would be a pricey job getting someone to do it, and a painful DIY. My problem was in an area without access problems and you can use a mini tube cutter.

However, it's possible (likely even) that your problem is not with the line, given that the vehicle is in a rust-free area, and you may want to investigate some other possibilities, especially given that it is heat/idling-related.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Trial User

Thank you for your support deschlong I will keep in mind that it is so complicated to replace the fuel line. I was hoping to find the leak via uv light but the uv dye doesn't show anywhere. The worst thing is that the fuel fumes only occur after the car is either idling without moving with full ac at about 110 F outside or in stop and go traffic. Otherwise when it is only about 95 F and even with full ac idling the smell doesn't show. I am sure once it is winter it won't happen at all until next summer.