Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (frogsr)

That is actually right along the lines of what I was thinking. Sure the grill flows air, but more is better right? As far as the water issue, it couldn't be much worse than having a cold air intake.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:03 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (broke1)

not true look at the mclaren road car the entire body is carbon fiber
Old 05-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in your defense may i present the current subaru imprezas? their air scoops are more than functional as the intercooler sits right under.
but the question of relevancy asks does a honda have an ic in that spot? no. it doesn't, so it is therefore serves little value.

As far as the water issue, it couldn't be much worse than having a cold air intake.
it is very different. the rain water collecting on you hood instead of being direct onto the ground is now being channeled into your engine bay. a cold air intake is shrouded from above and only ingests water into the engine when fully submerged.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (SEFI8LOxCivic)

Right, it only ingests water when fully submerged. I would think it would be even harder to fully submerge a cone filter resting in the engine bay, hood scoop or not. Im not saying have the filter right under the scoop, but it can be used to facilitate better air flow to the intake filter.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:57 PM

yea, those vents are just about as functional as those 747 wings kids in highschool put on the moms 4 door dx civic. you don't think the front grill provides enough airflow @ moving speed?
hahaha!! yeah i remember those days...everyonedriving around with those big *** Supra wings...ha!

well, as for the present subject, a hood scoop is very functional if placed in he right spot...if i had a turboed car and i was sitting in traffic in this hot *** Houston heat, i'd much rather have a vent in my hood to let off some of that heat...i bet they do help alot...
Old 05-08-2002, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (kane2g)

fiberglass is great thing, but when youre in an accident, both kinds will kill you if they go through the windshield.
if you got into a wreck where the hood would end up going through the windshield... the hood would probably break before it went into the cabin.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (Crazydave)

so whats the weight difference??
Old 05-08-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (C1V1C)

heh that was my original question waaay back when.. still not sure of the answer.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (B18CivicHB)

Actually, if you go back and read it again, I believe someone mentioned their CF hood being 10lbs. lighter.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (piscorpio)

a little water does not matter !!
Old 05-08-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (Zeus Zore)

Do you know that 99% of the "so called" carbon fiber hoods on the market today are just fiberglass hoods with a top layer of carbon fiber? Take a look at any of the CF hoods you come across and look underneath them. Does it looks the same as the top.....NOPE. The only one I know for sure that is real CF is from Benen and it weighs 20lbs lighter than stock on a EG civic. I think the FiberImages hood may be real as well but not sure. I've seen dozens of these CF hoods and they all are fiberglass with a thin CF layer on top.

So, now for your weight question. Unless you get a true CF hood like the Benen, how could it possibly be any lighter than a 100% fiberglass one? The fiberglass will be lighter than steel however, probaby by 10lbs or more.

Steve
Old 05-08-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (Steve91)

Do you know that 99% of the "so called" carbon fiber hoods on the market today are just fiberglass hoods with a top layer of carbon fiber? Take a look at any of the CF hoods you come across and look underneath them. Does it looks the same as the top.....NOPE. The only one I know for sure that is real CF is from Benen and it weighs 20lbs lighter than stock on a EG civic. I think the FiberImages hood may be real as well but not sure. I've seen dozens of these CF hoods and they all are fiberglass with a thin CF layer on top.

So, now for your weight question. Unless you get a true CF hood like the Benen, how could it possibly be any lighter than a 100% fiberglass one? The fiberglass will be lighter than steel however, probaby by 10lbs or more.

Steve
I have heard this as well, and Benen is quite a bit more expensive as well but does weigh alot less from what I have heard.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (kane2g)

Why don't you just get a CF hood and have it painted?
Thats a waste of $$ because most if not all CF hoods have only couple of layers of CF on top of fiberglass, also the ribs underneath are fiberglass, so might as well get the cheaper fiberglass one
in FI's defense, my cf hood has no "ribs" underneath, all you see is the resin that was used to hold the cf weave together, and yes you see cf from the underside, the only fiberglass on my FI hood is a outer ring on the underside of the hood and holds the latch in place...and how ugly does a fiberglass hood look unpainted vs. carbon fiber...CARBON FIBER Fiberglass , as a whole
Old 05-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in your defense may i present the current subaru imprezas? their air scoops are more than functional as the intercooler sits right under.

but the question of relevancy asks does a honda have an ic in that spot? no. it doesn't, so it is therefore serves little value.
you like to take things out of context. subaru imprezas are subaru imprezas, civics are civics. are you saying the mugen cf hood/bumper is non functional for say, the type r integra? you speak like you know more than mugen... please, enlighten us.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a little fyi. CF dissipates heat really quickly when compare to steel. go find a dude with a stock hood and one with a cf hood. drive around the same amount of time in each car and see which hood you can sit on first. i'll bet you anything the cf hood gets cooler faster.....mine did.
now i just want to know if there are any manufactures of stock looking fiberglass hoods out there. i want the weight savings but i don't want the attention CF gets. so it would be cheaper for me to get a glass hood and paint it.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods... (snail)

Ok, I am not disagreing with you at all, but couldn't carbon fiber just not conduct heat as much as steel? Therefore the hood will be cooler faster because it never got as hot in the first place? Just another side of that argument. I have no clue, just wondering if that is something proven you have seen research done on or anything like that, or if those were just your thoughts.

I have a crabon fiber hood, so if it does dissapeat heat faster, then hell yeah. Just curious if you know that for a fact?

And as far as my hood going through my windshield??? HAHAHAHA, that makes me laugh. My hood is one shody piece of craftsmanship, I'll tell you that. It would crumble up like a piece of paper, or just explode into a million pieces. But it weighs no where near the weight of my stock hood.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods...

I just wanted to give a little input here i dont own a honda i actually drive a 2001 corvette which is all fiberglass and any carbon fiber parts made for my car are actually all slightly heavier than stock while offering a small increase in durability via tensile strength, as well as being on the topic of heat dissipation i can drive my car any distance and sit on my hood directly afterwards it never gets hot unless its from the sun
Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass vs Carbon Fiber weight in hoods...

Thank you, Tayler. I think that about closes this chapter.