Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Exhaust-smelling Fumes Coming From Radiator Cap - Need Opinions ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust-smelling Fumes Coming From Radiator Cap - Need Opinions ASAP!

Hello all... Just acquired a 1994 Civic LX with 103k 2 days ago, and it has an overheating problem. It overheated numerous times when I was driving it home from the dealership and it overheated on the way home from work yesterday. I initially attributed it to the fact that there was too little (or none) anti-freeze in the radiator, so I put some in and drove the remaining 100 miles home without problem. But yesterday, it seemed that the coolant was low, so I filled up the radiator, which took half a jug of 50/50 mix coolant in. I didn't drive it again until today, and just now, after the car has been off for about 5 hours, I checked the coolant level, and had to put about a liter (estimated) in.

I also started the car, and there was vapor coming out of the radiator (without the cap on) and it smelled like exhaust. Definitely didn't smell like a radiator should...

There is no wierd smoke coming out of the tailpipe, and that exhaust smells normal. The oil is dirty, but not watery or milky to suggest water in the oil...

I'm hoping that there isn't a head gasket problem, but how else would exhaust-smelling vapors be coming out of the radiator?

I also pulled the spark plugs, and they're normal. Nice and tan, with little-to-no carbon...

Any thoughts on what I should be checking next? Or should I just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust-smelling Fumes Coming From Radiator Cap - Need Opinions ASAP! (B18C_EJ8)

Sounds like a blown headgasket to me. I had a blown headgasket on my old DX hatch and it didn't smoke. (I used to live in CA and worked @ a smog shop) I probed the radiator (just like you would w/ the talipipe) and I got about a 30 HC ppm reading(which means a blown headgasket). Go to your local emissions place, if available in NY and do the same that will be a quick answer.

Phil
Old 10-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust-smelling Fumes Coming From Radiator Cap - Need Opinions ASAP! (hondaguyef)

Frigg... That's not cool... Just what I want to deal with....

Good thing I got a warranty with the car...
Old 10-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car stayed cool all the way home from work last night, so I checked the coolant level again this morning, and it was down about an inch and a half from the top. Filled it up again, and it was cool all the way to work this morning...

If the head gasket is blown, and exhaust is getting in the water jacket somewhere, where the hell is that coolant going? Is it just going out the exhaust?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

Your headgasket probably isn't blown bad enough to notice white exaust smoke but, It will worsen w/ time. Mine took coolant for about 2 months (I knew it was blown but, didn't care about the d15b7) and then finally going up a bridge one day, Poof!!!!!! White smoke everywhere and filled cyl.3 w/ water. It is just a matter of time.

Phil