Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

EG K24A surgeing, overheating, dying! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG K24A surgeing, overheating, dying! Help!

Hey guys,
I started my EG K24A up today (only started once before).

Heres the my setup info for starters:
-EG with stock TSX engine
-RBC IM, K20A TB, custom intake
-DC Sports headers
-Hybrid racing conversion harness
-Im using this cal in k-pro (K24 TSX Completely stock. Needs checking at partial throttle for a/f ratios)
- I have no coolant hoses connected upto the IACV.

I have a few issues i need some help with.

First things first, i had a cooling system issue.
I since have jacked the car up about 20" at the front and filled it up completely via the rad cap. When i started it up to get all the bubbles out, as the engine got hot it was throwing coolant out of the top of the radiator all over the place. Is this normal??? I put the cap on but am unsure what i should do??? Any advice.

Now, the startup issues. The car starts up without a problem, but after startup this is what happens:

- Car idles at around 1500-1700RPM (seems way too high)
- Every so often, about every 30secs the cars idle drops right down and the car almost dies, it then kicks in with a big rev and continues its high idle. Every couple of times it does this, the car dies. I noticed on K-Pro the A/F:1 reading goes right off into the red when it does this.
- Whilst this is going on, the car overheats quiet quickly and the fan wont operate whilst running. When i shut the car off and then click the key to "ON", only now the fan actually operates (i have it wired up with K-Pro only, i need to install a fan switch). I dont know why it wont operate whilst running though, its got me confused.
- I keep a real close eye on the K-pro ECT and shut the car down each time it hits red. I only had the car running on and off for about half an hour and the rocker cover and IM feel extrememly hot, i dont know if they should generate much heat, is it normal for the IM/rocker cover to generate quiet a large amount of heat?
- I also notice my FPR gauge slowly drops down to nothing over a period of 30mins onwards, is this normal?
- Another thing i got come up after a few startups was a fault code P0335 - CRK Sensor No Signal. I thought the car would not start-up without a signal from the crank sensor?? It only seemed to come up once after a few starts.

Sorry for writing a novel. I really am stressed out about this and have no idea where to look for assistance. I would appreciate any help at all from you experience people.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG K24A surgeing, overheating, dying! Help!

water pump bet on right?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the whole water housing assembly off, i used a new o-ring, cleaned up the surfaces and applied a new gasket.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flycatcher
I work at honda dealership,those k series are known to have massive air bubbles the k series,When we fill back the coolant usually take 30min for the fan to kick in,and yes i ran into that problem too where it just keeps spiting out the coolant.On the matco truck we use this special-SPILL FREE FUNNEl.Every time i did it without that funnel i always had a overheating ka24 from element crv to accords,,but it only happen to me on the accords.
Interesting.
I guess i'll keep at it each time i start it up. I might just have to make a mess everywhere.

Any idea what the spill-free funnel looks like?
I tryed a normal funnel taped around the radiator neck and it just made an even bigger mess.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lisle makes the funnel you need.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone tell me whats wrong here:
Are the injectors meant to cut out like they are???

The cars running like a bag of **** when i give it some throttle. It doesnt cut out on idle now (thats the only thing ive resolved so far, cracking the throttle open ~5%, plugging and disabling the IACV fixed this).

Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am well and truely over this car now.

I fixed my crank sensor problem. I had the K24A sensor and plug on the K20A loom, i had just wired it up the wrong way.

The A/F ratio seems to be normal again now (intake tube off seemed to lean it right out)

I've been out there all day trying to weed out my cooling system issue.
I made up a funnel out of a plastic coca-cola bottle and fitted it to the radiator neck and filled the cooling system right up until it would take no more coolant at all and until all it would do was fill up the overflow tank.

Later on i ended up just aiming the overflow tank hose into a bucket.

All that was happening was when the car reached around 215 - 220* F it would just fill the custom funnel right up and even overflow from it.

I kept squeezing the top hose to get as much of the bubbles out as possible, heater on full blast. I kept feeling the lower hose and it was always cold. This means the thermostat clearly isnt opening.

I drained all the coolant and pulled out the thermostat. Coolant was all cold until i cracked the thermostat and that coolant around the water pump was hot.

I got a pot of water on the stove and boiled it up and watched the thermostat open when it reached boiling point.

I put the thermostat back in the car and filled it back up with coolant and tryed again a few times... Same thing. As soon as the coolant got to its boiling point it just started spewing out the top of the radiator. It ended up melting my custom funnel.

I'm so pissed off right now that i've given up to calm down a little.

I have no f&%ing idea whats going on and why the lower hose is dead cold.

I couldnt figure out how to pull the t/stat off its housing to add it to my system gutted to see how it goes. Next up im just going to cut it so the spring will fall off (will ruin my new t/stat but i dont care right now).

I'm so over this car right now. My idle's sitting up around 2900-3000RPM now also for some reason. TB plate is cracked at 4%. In K-Pro when i push my foot to the floor it says its only at about ~70%. I think i need to adjust it at the throttle body aswell..

1 thing after another, and i cant seem to resolve anything.