Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

CR-V Crank, Spark, Fuel No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 CR-V Crank, Spark, Fuel No Start

Hi all,

I have a 2004 CRV that decided to not start, but cranks OK. Have now checked:

1) Spark at every plug.
2) Injection pulse at each injector with a noid light.
3) Replaced fuel pump without solving the problem. With the new pump the pump is running and taking 5 Amps which appears correct. Have not measured fuel pressure at the rail due to having no adapter.
4) Sprayed quick start in the large intake hose (with air filter assembly removed) and the engine doesn't give any indication of trying to start. (Isn't this a bit strange assuming good spark?)
5) Code reader was hooked up showing no codes, and apparently that the ECM has power?

I know compression is important, but it seems strange that a compression problem happened while the car sat around for a few days prior to this trouble. The car has 280,000 Kms (173000miles) and has been perfectly reliable before this.

I am also wondering about Crank position Sensor(s) and Cam position sensors. Would we have spark, injector pulse and no engine codes if these fail?

Does this make any sense to anyone? Can someone recommend a plan of attack? Should I check compression, timing chain, sensors, ECM etc?

I guess you can tell I'm not a professional, but I'd really like to get this car started soon without a tow to the dealer.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Mark
Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: CR-V Crank, Spark, Fuel No Start

so if you have spark and injector pulse than that is great it means your crank is working. what type of scanner are you using? How was the vehicle running before it was parked and started the problem or was there an issue when it was parked? what color is the spark?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!

For scanning the engine code, I have a standard OBD2 code reader (maybe made by innova?). So not really a scanner I guess.

the vehicle was working perfectly (as always) before it was parked for a couple of days. (It was jacked at the back in preparation of some rear suspension. Then my wife needed the car so no work was done. It was lowered to the ground and then suddenly wouldn't start.

I guess miles are a bit high but the car has never been driven hard and has (almost always) run full synthetic oil. I put a compression tested on one plug hole and measured 125 psi. I guess that's a bit low but not surprising? (I almost got the tester stuck in the hole because there is poor access to the spark plug area with the valve cover in place.

I then decided to switch to the Crank Sensor. I got it off the car and it measures about 4MegaOhms between sensor output and ground. Seems a bit high but I don't really know how to test it. I am trying to figure that out now.

I think the spark color was blue, but not positive. I can check if you think it's important. I had the spark jump to an incandescent tester held about 0.5 inches from the terminal. Spark appeared strong and had no trouble with that distance.

Any ideas for next steps?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:05 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check compression and electrical and mechanical timing, all I can think of. 94