Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder

Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder

Hello folks,

Got a squeak in my 97 GSR's clutch. I think it is coming from somewhere in the engine bay/transmission, but I can't tell for sure until I get somebody to help me out. I already lubed the point where the slave cylinder pushrod contacts the release fork, the ball joint inside the master cylinder, and sorta lubed the release fork pivot point inside the transmission. (I couldn't reach it very well, though). The squeak usually tends to get worse after the car is warmed up. The grease I used was valvoline Durablend grease, which is moly fortified and rated to 400F. Yeah, I cheaped out and got that instead of the official Honda Super Hi Temp Urea grease. My questions are:

Is this grease ok to use?
Is there any other joint that could squeak?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder (beanbag)

I'd bet it's the throw out bearing. Mine does it too when it gets warm.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

I'd bet its the master cylinder or the spring/fingers on the pressure plate. TOB's dont squeak per se, but the fingers on the PP can rub the TOB the wrong way if they lose their lube coat and make a squeak. Mine squeaks too, but I have an aftermarket clutch.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I like PIE

Default Re: Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder (King V)

i believe he has an aftermarket clutch as well but like i was trying to explain to him in another thread the throw out bearing is not supposed to ride the PP as he was explaining. you should have a little bit of play in the pedal other wise it will cause premature wear.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So should I try to get some grease where the throwout bearing touches the pressure plate diaphragm spring?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder (polishedturd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polishedturd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe he has an aftermarket clutch as well but like i was trying to explain to him in another thread the throw out bearing is not supposed to ride the PP as he was explaining. you should have a little bit of play in the pedal other wise it will cause premature wear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can have all the play in the pedal that you want, however, the throwout bearing will still press against the pressure plate. Just not very hard.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so I managed to get some grease where the pressure plate fingers touch the throwout bearing. The clutch pedal is very smooth when the car is cold, but still gets squeaky when the car warms up. The only other places that I can think of are the shaft that the throwout bearing slides on, and the contact points on the throwout bearing where the release fork presses against it. Or maybe I should have used that Honda grease after all. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Banned

Beanbag wrote; "ok, so I managed to get some grease where the pressure plate fingers touch the throwout bearing. The clutch pedal is very smooth when the car is cold, but still gets squeaky when the car warms up. The only other places that I can think of are the shaft that the throwout bearing slides on, and the contact points on the throwout bearing where the release fork presses against it. Or maybe I should have used that Honda grease after all. Any suggestions?"

The clutch om CB7 has had a creaky sort of squeak (more a creak than squeek) since I've had it, about 40,000 km. It's definitely internal and irritating first thing when you depress the clutch before starting the engine (I tend to depress the clutch as I engage neutral, but don't start the engine with clutch depressed), but never gets worse or causes an actual problem.

It could be the shaft / tube on which the bearing slides, but could as or more easily be one of the pivot points on which one or more of the PP fingers / springs articulate. I doubt very much that it's the bearing itself, or where the bearing bears against the fingers. At any rate, to fix it would at least involve pulling the box, and since it actually works OK I'm just not going to bother!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen many throw out bearings make this noise.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. TOB's dont squeak per se</TD></TR></TABLE>
What??? Its a bearing, worn out bearings squeak.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder (sgallagher)

I've never heard a TOB squeak. Heard clutch fingers squeak and master/slave cylinders, never heard a TOB squeak. And all the bearings on a car I've ever heard go bad, they sure don't squeak. More like awful howling.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch squeak... and it's not from the slave cylinder

Update:

I managed to get some grease where the release fork presses against the throwout bearing. At the same time, I replaced the slave cylinder piston with my own contraption involving a sealed ball bearing. So far, no more squeaks... yay.

However, there is still a bit of friction in the clutch pedal. I'll try to get some more grease on the shaft on which the TOB slides, and also replace the pedal-to-master cylinder piston-pivot with another ball bearing contraption. Why do I care so much about reducing friction? It's coz I replaced my master cylinder with a 0.75" bore version, to reduce the pedal stroke. Even though the pedal is only supposed to be 44% stiffer, it feels a lot stiffer. Reducing every bit of friction helps.