Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor?

Ok, I can't get the engine to start on my 91 Prelude 2.1 SI. The other day I went outside to start it and it started for a few seconds ran very rough then died. Trying to start it again it would turn over, but not fire up. Here is what I've checked:

Timing belt and cam timing = ok
Fuel pressure = ok, and I can see fuel on the plugs (full tank of gas btw)
oil = ok, a little low, but enough.
spark plugs = ok and they are firing
distributer cap + rotor = ok, look brand new
ecu error codes = none
compression = 40, 100, 150, 60 on cold engine. (I know they are low, but my car does burn oil and has been for a long time, but it should still run, right?)
crank angle sensor = tested ok per helm
fuel injector resistor pack = tested ok per helm

So the only thing that I can think of is that either my fuel injection or ignition timing is off for some reason. Can a broken ignitor cause that? could something in the distributer break to cause the timing to go out?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:28 AM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor? (FuzzyGreenCarpets)

burning oil or not those compression numbers are REALLY BAD.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor? (sgT)

But if it was a problem with compression, would the car all of a sudden not start? Wouldn't it start having problems driving first? The car ran fine the last time I drove it.

BTW the turbo has been off the car for about 6 months.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor? (FuzzyGreenCarpets)

I have a 92 camry with a 4 cylinder engine in my garage right now. Timing belt took a dump and did sompression check. All came out good except cylinder 2. pulled head replaced valves and compression cam out great. Car ran like **** and now putting it back together. I will find out if that makes a difference. this person had the same symptoms as you so that may mean that you need to be replacing some valves.

EDIT: Also on your compression numbers ( i know its cold engine) your middle 2 numbers are fine...BUT your outter ones are NOT GOOD at all.

[Modified by CivicEK.PDX, 2:05 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it flooded? That can also cause low compresion numbers.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor? (Chiovnidca)

not the ignitor. you get no spark with bad ignitor.

i can't help otherwise...sorry.
if you get spark, your ignition is good....unless the timing is off.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor? (cyrixvsp2)

not the ignitor. you get no spark with bad ignitor.

i can't help otherwise...sorry.
if you get spark, your ignition is good....unless the timing is off.
I am going to have to disagree. I have just gone through this igniter problem. I replaced mine last weekend. My car wouldn't start all of a sudden after I tried to start it to go into the car wash. I checked everything. I didn't think it was the igniter because I had spark showing. The difference was the spark was a weak orange color instead of a nice bright blue. Check the color of the spark. I replaced the igniter and the car started like it never had a problem. It has been running flawlessy all week.

Don't confuse the igniter with the internal coil. When talking to parts shops make sure you bring the old one. They had no clue to what I was referring to. That is why I went to the dealer and got one.(it was actually cheaper). Good Luck.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't start engine, can you still get spark from a bad ignitor? (qcoffey)

fix your compression problem. basics first
Old 01-08-2003, 07:48 PM

To start, qcoffey stated that he had weak spark. That is not your ignitor. Your ignitor simply turns off and on the coil. If you took it to a shop and they replaced just the ignitor, plan to have problems again. Most likely your sitting on a new coil. Second, the engines compression is very bad. You could have finished off what was left of that head-gasket. 40 is very low. Anyways, your most likely looking a rebuild. The timing could still be off or the belt may have skipped, although that is unlikely it would have ran long enough to get you home and given you trouble later. Anyways, do a little more checking and make sure that its not something small your overlooking like a unplugged connector. It wouldn't be the first time that I've seen that. Take it easy