Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Power Windows Sticking ... is there a home remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Windows Sticking ... is there a home remedy?

Hi,

My power windows have gradually gotten to the point where they barely move up and down on their guides.

Does anyone know a household product that can be used to lubricate the channel that the window travels in without gumming it up any worse than what it is?

I don't live in the USA anymore and I'm poor so my "professional" products options are about zero.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power Windows Sticking ... is there a home remedy?

its usually not the window runs that cause that...its the motor that is failing....you need to replace the window motor..

you can try spraying silicone spray lube on the runs if you want but i doubt it will help much at all.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
its usually not the window runs that cause that...its the motor that is failing....you need to replace the window motor..

you can try spraying silicone spray lube on the runs if you want but i doubt it will help much at all.
Thanks for the reply.

I would tend to agree with you 100% if it not for the fact that on some days, when the humidity / temp is at a certain level the window works at about 80% efficiency.

Not being an expert, I would assume a failing motor would be bad all of the time.

Unfortunately silicone spray is not an option. No stores around me sell it and if they did I couldn't afford it.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you have available? This question is vague, are you in Antarctica, Russian tundra, the moon?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

silicone spray all over the window's guides may help. don't use anything greasy as it'll make things far worse in the long run.

a lot of times the gearbox on the motor builds up resistance from dirt/rust/wear. as does the regulator (even more so as it's joints wear and are trying to push the window in more ways than just up)

electric motors are generally either bad or good.. as in, the magnets that run them don't wear out, thereby, they don't loose power unless leached upon by an outside source.

without even knowing what car i'm dealing with, that's about all i can tell you.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
What do you have available? This question is vague, are you in Antarctica, Russian tundra, the moon?
Some house hold products?

Sorry about the vagueness, my location is not that remote ... but it may as well be, although the moon does sound interesting, 1/6 gravity could be cool,

I'm in Mexico in a small town (not that close to the USA) with very limited funds.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
silicone spray all over the window's guides may help. don't use anything greasy as it'll make things far worse in the long run.

a lot of times the gearbox on the motor builds up resistance from dirt/rust/wear. as does the regulator (even more so as it's joints wear and are trying to push the window in more ways than just up)

electric motors are generally either bad or good.. as in, the magnets that run them don't wear out, thereby, they don't loose power unless leached upon by an outside source.

without even knowing what car i'm dealing with, that's about all i can tell you.
Sorry, I should have specified the car 1991 Honda Accord SE.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

91.. hmm.. i'd imagine everything is loosey-goosey.

to buy some time, or in lieu of replacing parts.. i'd try the silicone spray first. hell, even some wd40.

as a last resort... take the windows out and apply a light coat of white grease to the track they slide up and down in.. might help. lube the mechanical parts as well. not a lot on the window track or it'll inevitably end up everywhere, on everything. also if you have tint it may make it peel. wouldn't really recommend the grease unless you really don't care about the car or are desperate.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

91.. hmm.. i'd imagine everything is loosey-goosey.

to buy some time, or in lieu of replacing parts.. i'd try the silicone spray first. hell, even some wd40.

as a last resort... take the windows out and apply a light coat of white grease to the track they slide up and down in.. might help. lube the mechanical parts as well. not a lot on the window track or it'll inevitably end up everywhere, on everything. also if you have tint it may make it peel. wouldn't really recommend the grease unless you really don't care about the car or are desperate.
LOL loosey-goosey ... yeah, the car has seen better days, but she still hangs in there.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Anyone know a link for getting to the motor and window track assembly? In other words how to you get the door panel off.

I understood the old GM cars of the 60's and 70's a little better.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

getting the door panel off a honda is pretty easy. if there is a round cover, it's probably covering a phillips screw. if there is a hole, there is probably a phillips screw in it that needs to come out. and all the switches and latches come out easily (if you are yanking you're doing it wrong)

idk about on honda-tech. but a quick google should get you an image of how to remove the panels, or even a pdf of the service manual to the car.

sidenote: my front driver's window stopped working, removed the motor, snapped the metal case off the motor's transmission and the back of the metal case had been dropping rust into the gears. cleaned this out, added some grease to keep things from rusting as fast as they were and reinstalled, fastest window on the car now.

edit: these motors and regulators aren't like gm/ford. everything unbolts, unscrews, or unclips. just take your time and find a screw or a clip before you break some silly plastic something that's only sold with an entire assembly that's crazy expensive.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

getting the door panel off a honda is pretty easy. if there is a round cover, it's probably covering a phillips screw. if there is a hole, there is probably a phillips screw in it that needs to come out. and all the switches and latches come out easily (if you are yanking you're doing it wrong)

idk about on honda-tech. but a quick google should get you an image of how to remove the panels, or even a pdf of the service manual to the car.

sidenote: my front driver's window stopped working, removed the motor, snapped the metal case off the motor's transmission and the back of the metal case had been dropping rust into the gears. cleaned this out, added some grease to keep things from rusting as fast as they were and reinstalled, fastest window on the car now.

edit: these motors and regulators aren't like gm/ford. everything unbolts, unscrews, or unclips. just take your time and find a screw or a clip before you break some silly plastic something that's only sold with an entire assembly that's crazy expensive.
Wow, fastest window... excellent.

Great advice, I'll proceed with maximum caution!