Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Can you rev the engine with an a/c recover, recycle, recharge machine attached?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you rev the engine with an a/c recover, recycle, recharge machine attached?

Hello Honda-Tech Forum;

Question: Will revving an engine damage an a/c recover, recycle, recharge machine when the machine is attached to the car?

I was at my mechanic's shop this morning. He has a, I think, Robinair recover, recycle, recharge machine. The machine was not attached to the front nozzle. One of the lines was attached at the back nozzle.

He told me to start my engine and turn the a/c on high. I let the engine idle for a couple of minutes. I then revved the engine to about 2000 or 2500 rpms. The mechanic became angry. He said that revving the engine would damage the machine. I felt awful.

It didn't appear that there was any damage done.

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can you rev the engine with an a/c recover, recycle, recharge machine attached?

Wth.. there is no reason to have the a/c, or engine, on at all.... The machine pulls a vacuum and sucks it all out. You literally do nothing but connect it to high and low, turn it on, and walk away.

Now the other half of that is that you can then charge with the recovered refrigerant in which case, yes, you do need to car running. A/C is charged through the low side and "full" is judged by pressure, ambient temperature, and experience at 2-3k rpm. I did 3k on B Vtec engine because it's hot as fck in Houston and 80mph rpm on the freeway is way up there. (Honda A/C was universally weak for a long time, so pressures are directly related to how long your compressor lives). Anyway, sorry, back to the point... it is only being charged on the low side with the compressor sucking in the refrigerant. It won't do a damn thing to the machine.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Can you rev the engine with an a/c recover, recycle, recharge machine attached?

Originally Posted by night
It won't do a damn thing to the machine.
x2
there's no possible way it can damage the machine.
In fact, sometimes you HAVE to rev the engine up with the machine attached when diagnosing a/c stuff.
Don't feel bad. whatever tech was operating the machine doesn't know what they're talking about.

The ONLY way revving the motor while filling the a/c system could be an issue is if it's an old machine that is operated manually and not automatically like newer machines. revving the engine usually makes it suck the refrigerant in faster, and may throw off the estimated timing for when the machine operator has to close the valve on the machine, which could allow a bit too much to get sucked in. But that's just an annoyance, not anything that can damage anything
Old 04-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

night, motoxxxman;

Gentlemen, thank you for relieving my worries.

It's a new machine. He said the cost was $4,000. I was thinking that the machine ought to have built in safety features to protect against damage.

I have been using this mechanic for five years. He's a young man (42). I am an older guy (65 this year).

His personality is changed from five years ago. He may be having personal problems. If that's the case his being irritable is understandable.

Thanks again!