Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

CALIFORNIA SMOG REFEREE INSPECTION ON B16A MOTOR SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CALIFORNIA SMOG REFEREE INSPECTION ON B16A MOTOR SWAP

12/22/06: so i went to the ref yesterday for my jdm b16a motor swap. i went to southwestern college down in chula vista and had my inspection done by mike. he was reaaaaal cool and knew his stuff. he didn't say anything was wrong with my ecu conversion harness or any of the wiring conversion that was done to my engine harness. i was damn pleased. he said i passed pretty much 80 percent of the test and was really impressed for my first motor swap. i did in fact fail two parts. timing and emissions. he popped out the timing light and shot it down at my crank pulley. he then looked at me and asked if i ever took out the crank pulley any time during the motor swap. i said no. he explained to me that the 3 lines after the long separated one were on the wrong side and i had the belt on backwards. it was either that, i was running TDC or there was some kind of jdm pulley, which he highly doubts. so he then moves on to the sniffer. right before, he took a grab on my radiator hoses to feel the temperature. he noticed that my fan was running the whole time my car was on and asked me if i put in an aftermarket thermostat or hot wired the fan to run all the time. he said my hoses weren't as hot as they should be. i told him that i did hot wire the fan because my temp gage was broken and i was afraid to overheat. i explained how i saw my radiator start to smoke and got scared because of that. so he went on to the sniffer. explained to me that one of the main reasons i failed was because my car definitely wasn't running up to operating temperature and emissions are highly determined by that. he then gave me a little homework sheet on the stuff i need to do and good luck next time.

give me your input and thoughts. i know there's tons more that i need to learn. and from this i know i need to do the following:

1)new timing belt
2)new crank pulley
3)fix temp gage completed
4)new cat

edit 12/27/06: finally had time to figure out what went wrong with my temperature gage. it was actually the temperature sender that went bad. i came to this conclusion by grounding out the wire that connects to the sensor, then turn the key to the on position to see if the needle jumps from cold to hot. after doing so, i then began to unscrew the temperature sender. then *SNAP*, the darn thing broke in half leaving the threaded part still inside the hole. uh oh. what was i gonna do? bust a search on ht! but anyway. i stopped by autozone to pick up a bolt extractor kit and took care of it. i then replaced the sensor by draining the coolant, removing the radiator hoses and distributor. it sure was a hassle. following that, i removed the paper clip that i had used to hotwire the radiator fan and connected the plug correctly to the switch. the car was now started and warming up. the needle on the gage was staying right below the middle and the fan automatically kicked in. boy was i glad.

Modified by Alanicious at 6:25 PM 12/27/2006
Old 12-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CALIFORNIA SMOG REFEREE INSPECTION ON B16A MOTOR SWAP (Alanicious)

Sounds like you almost got it. Good job

The state is big on the timing thing.

Also when your car is not at operating temp (160 degrees)it is probably staying in open loop and running off the set of parameters programmed for open loop operation. This causes the car to run rich which might not pass the sniffer.

When your car get's above 160 it should go into closed loop and that is when your car is responding to the sensors.

So timing, temp guage and fan and you should be good to go.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CALIFORNIA SMOG REFEREE INSPECTION ON B16A MOTOR SWAP (thesmogman)

Yup mike is cool...you should pass no problem next time..they are easy fixes
Old 12-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its ok babygirl i love you
Old 12-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its ok babygirl i love you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

goodluck.. BAR can be a pain at times.. i failed the sniffer a few times before i passed.. but, its worth it in the end..
Old 12-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg6sir88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6sir88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BAR can be a pain at times.. i failed the sniffer a few times before i passed.. but, its worth it in the end.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg6sir88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6sir88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">goodluck.. BAR can be a pain at times.. i failed the sniffer a few times before i passed.. but, its worth it in the end.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

word. be prepared to cough out the money to do your repairs. this hobby isnt a cheap or simple one to play. ill post another update soon after i get the changes done.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alanicious)

update: 12/27/06
Old 12-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alanicious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

word. be prepared to cough out the money to do your repairs. this hobby isnt a cheap or simple one to play. ill post another update soon after i get the changes done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotta pay to play...
Old 12-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Re: (hazw8st)

Old 12-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Alanicious
word. be prepared to cough out the money to do your repairs. this hobby isnt a cheap or simple one to play. ill post another update soon after i get the changes done.
Originally Posted by built562
I call a huge BS on a <FONT COLOR="red">B20</FONT> being BAR'd here in California because it is an illegal swap

<u><FONT COLOR="red">BUMP THIS POST!</FONT></u>

Try using the <u><FONT COLOR="red">SEARCH</FONT></u> function next time<FONT COLOR="red">!</FONT>

Yes, the <FONT COLOR="red">B20</FONT> is a truck motor, yes, it is an illegal swap. Conventional wisdom would agree with you, however, we use propane gas to pass any engine swap in any car. There are legal ways to smog a <FONT COLOR="red">B20</FONT>. Read on......

Illegal <FONT COLOR="red">B20</FONT> swap + propane gas <FONT COLOR="red">=</FONT> Alternative Fueled Emissions compliant engine swap. Alternative fuel is the key word here, forget the motor swap, with Alternative fuel, it is all about making the swap run clean. Even if the engine swap is a turbo GSR, Standalone with ITB's, once it is run on propane, all the performance mods are now legal because you can argue that the GSR, turbo, Standalone and ITB's are needed to take advantage of propane's 110 octane rating. This is cutting edge here, just because this is a loophole that is not commonly used, doesn't mean that it is BS.

Keep in mind that, once you remove the propane and re-tune your setup to run on 91 octane pump gas, you are no longer <FONT COLOR="red">100%</FONT> legal, but wait, there's more.... here is the good part.... the BAR referee sticker in your engine compartment doesn't specify fuel. So, when Johnny law does pull you over, all they do is scratch their heads and wonder how you BAR ref'd a turbo GSR, Standalone with ITB's....

Besides BAR reffing your engine swap there is another interesting loophole that keeps Johnny Law off your back, it is called smog exemption, this exemption is a one time emissions test on propane that certifies your vehicle as an Alternative fueled vehicle and smog exempts the vehicle <u><FONT COLOR="red">FOREVER</FONT></u>, with smog exemption, you will <u><FONT COLOR="red">NEVER</FONT></u> have to smog your vehicle ever again, even when you sell it. Smog exemption is a legal loophole that smog exempts your vehicle forever, no more fooling around with shady emissions shops.

If you look hard enough, there are legal loopholes for everything. Laws, mandates, regulations and government protocols are written by attorneys with legal loopholes and/ oversights written in, that allow everyday citizens to drive, smog, register and import any vehicle ever made on the face of this planet.

For the record, smog exemption, carb exemption, and BAR reffing are 3 completely different processes, these terms cannot be interchanged. BAR reffing, by far, is the most difficult and useless certification. Smog and Carb exemption are far better than a BAR ref'd swap because a BAR ref'd swap still must undergo strict emissions testing, while the smog/carb exempted vehicle doesn't. Also, Johnny Law can ref ticket a Bar ref'd car, but not a carb exempted car. The simple definition of a carb exempted car is a car that is exempted from all carb emissions mandates. Basically, local law enforcement can pop your hood, but, because the vehicle is both smog/carb exempt, it is therefore emissions compliant regardless of what turbo
<FONT COLOR="red">k20</FONT>, GSR or <FONT COLOR="red">b18</FONT> engine swap you may have, a smog/carb exempted car can legally drive around with a fully built turbo GSR with no emissions controls, and never get a referee ticket.

You gotta pay <FONT COLOR="green">$$$$$$$$</FONT> to play.......

<u><FONT COLOR="red">BUMP THIS POST!</FONT></u>