Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Coil on plug setups - do I really need one in my case?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil on plug setups - do I really need one in my case?

Hello I had a question on the coil on plug kits that are out I looked at Hondata witch would work with my s300 but also looked at the AEM but I read its only good up to 15 psi of boost my question is what company is best for my build or other companies to check out thanks
Old 02-15-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Coil on plug setups - do I really need one in my case?

Originally Posted by bluedragon
Hello I had a question on the coil on plug kits that are out I looked at Hondata witch would work with my s300 but also looked at the AEM but I read its only good up to 15 psi of boost my question is what company is best for my build or other companies to check out thanks
COP setups are not boost pressure dependent. Regardless of company. You're more than likely not going ttyl need out at all, depending upon the setup.

Get your setup together first, show us in detail, then you can discuss whatever or not you need COP.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Coil on plug setups - do I really need one in my case?

Individual cylinder ignition does not have any real power advantages per-se in any vehicle. The entire reason they exist is to provide secondary and tertiary spark to ensure all air/fuel elements combust for emissions purposes. Most of these newer systems provide some type of ion-sense feedback to determine the condition of the combustion event as it occurs to the ECM. This is something a distributor cannot do, because the window to spark is based on cam/crank angle: Once the rotor is out of the firing window, you cannot reliably fire anything. (GM tried this with limited success on waste spark engines in the mid-90's and it proved to be a worthy venture).

In my opinion, what you should be evaluating, is the turns-ratio of the coil that is firing the plug, and whether or not the voltage produced can close the gap (IE spark the gap). The more cylinder pressure you have (along with combustibles in the chamber) the heavier duty (higher turns ratio) of a coil you will need to ensure it will spark. This is why the plug gap on most turbo cars is so small: Using a stock coil may not produce a high enough of a voltage to close the gap, resulting in a misfire unless the plug gap is closed.

In most of these cases, people choose to close the plug gap to ensure the spark event occurs because it is easiest. You could also get a more powerful coil (higher turns-ratio/current rating) and achieve the same result with a bigger plug gap. The best advantage is having the largest plug gap possible, with the most powerful coil. Remember, coils do no make horsepower, they are needed to facilitate it!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I have everything together already full gsr sleeved block 8-5to1 comp built head 2000 cc injectors reason I ask the coil in my stock dizz went out instead of buying new might up grade to coil on plug also running 6262 turbo 3 inch pipe
Old 02-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks I have everything together already full gsr sleeved block 8-5to1 comp built head 2000 cc injectors reason I ask the coil in my stock dizz went out instead of buying new might up grade to coil on plug also running 6262 turbo 3 inch pipe
Helll I even have ICM clips for same. Doesn't mean you need COP. get everything else proper first, then see if it's needed.