Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Been awhile... cryo treat rods/pistons/rings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been awhile... cryo treat rods/pistons/rings?

Well I searched, and I didnt really find much USEABLE information. So I thought I would ask again in hopes of maybe someone knowing some more about it.

Im probably just going to hookup a nitrous setup on my motor because I dont really live in a place big into the import scene but I still would like some power come track time. Im thinking about giving the stock B16 pistons / rods / rings (obviously would be new ones) a cryo treatment and wondering if this treatment would help in any way as far as being able to take more nitrous or would it really only help as far as actual wear? Does anyone have some info onto its actual benefits?

Cryo treatment isnt that expensive, and I know a place that does it so I might be able to knock a couple bucks off - but will this even help with my application? I plan on running a block guard as well, stock pistons/rods - maybe get the sleeves cryoed as well? I mean ill have the motor all apart anyways so it wont be that diffacult... TIA
Old 01-23-2003, 12:37 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Been awhile... cryo treat rods/pistons/rings? (sparq)

skip the block guard
spend your money on aftermarket parts instead of working on the stock pieces.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Been awhile... cryo treat rods/pistons/rings? (sgT)

skip the block guard
spend your money on aftermarket parts instead of working on the stock pieces.
I agree with both^^^ Block guards are gay, if you wanna do it right spend the money and get the block sleeved... GE and RS are both cool.. If you are building a nitrous motor that is going to be specifially designed for squeeze then go with forged pistons (the cast OE PR3's won't hold as much) and some aftermarket rods... You should be fine with Eagle but Crowers 4340 Steel Billet are even better, the Crower Econo Billets are a bit cheaper and would be more around the strength of a Eagle... Just my opinion, you can build a pretty strong OE parts motor but not one that's going to handle what you probably want... Peace