Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

HELP!!! Battery Draining FAST. New Alt no fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 HELP!!! Battery Draining FAST. New Alt no fix

I have a 97 civic with a 97 Integra GSR B18C1 swap turbo. I have driven the car for months with no issues. New battery

Last week I was driving and I noticed the voltage wasnt running what it should on my turbo timer display. Normally it will show 12-13 something but it was showing 11.xx and dropping as i continued driving. It was low for a few days like this but give me no issues otherwise.

Monday early morning, driving to work 12 miles and it drained my battery from 11.0 to 8.xx and everything was shutting off, gauges stopped working, car started skipping and it went dead. Skipping due to MSD ignition running low on voltage. Dunno if a stock ignition would act the same. I charged the battery, crunk the car fine and drove it to a friends shop. Today I replaced the alternator as I ASSUMED it took a dump on me. Cranks up fine, still low voltage. I drove it to work thinking itll charge up the lilttle bit it was low and top the battery off. NOPE. Drove home tonight and 12 miles...drained my battery and BARELY made it home, skipping, no gauges, extremely dim headlights, etc. Completely dead. probably wont attempt to start if I tried.

Does anyone know What is wrong? Is there a fuse or relay that would keep the alternator from charging the battery and my car is running off the battery only and killing it very quickly? The battery is about 6 months old and has now been drained down twice but other than that is fairly new and shouldnt be the issue CAUSING this.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! Battery Draining FAST. New Alt no fix

Parasitic drain. Google it then check for it. But first, get rid of that BS MSD ignition.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what parasitic Drain/draw is.

I was wondering if there is something that would cause the alternator to NOT charge like it should, even when replaced. So the alternator isnt the issue and they are internally regulated so its not a voltage regulator issue. Unless they also have a voltage regulator OR FUSE somewhere thats popped not allowing it to charge. I dont want to get off track so for now ill keep the complete MSD igniton i have as its been running fine on this car for 5 years. Unless the Box has dumped. Its runs great until the voltage drops out and it dies.

What could happen ALL THE SUDDEN to act like my ALT dumped, drained my battery, but after replacing the alt. No fix?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah. If your new alternator is crap. Did you have the new one tested? Don't tell me that it's okay because I can't even count how many times people have bought new alternators that were crap right out of the box.Again. take that MSD crap OFF of the car.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found the issue. Long story short the charging wire from the alt to the fuse panel was broken. Fixed the wire and gonna charge my battery up. Should be good to go. Grumble I appreciate the help a lot. I am brand new to hondas myself and even though this wasn't a honda specific problem I wasn't real sure where to turn.

Now...if you don't mind please elaborate on the msd. I've run it on other vehicles and hasn't seen issues but know it may be overkill on something that doesn't need "more fire" than stock ign can produce. I may be missing the point here tho.

I'm not questioning your opinions I just want some info on why and what is bad about the msd box and distributor. Is it overkill on a stock gsr motor? I am boosted but only running 8 lbs and motor is stock compression etc.the car was a drag car before with a built motor and looots of boost so this is why it had full msd whe I got it. And ima be honest. Idk what the timinng is at all. Which I know is dumb and a time bomb considering I boosted it. I simply have the dizzy retared back slightly just to be safe incase it was off and high. I am running a tuned p28 ecu which is tuned for my car being set at STOCK timing. I know I got to check and set it so don't have to suggest that lol

Just give me ur suggestion on ignition and why if you don't mind. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and although others may agree that MSD is "crap" thousands will disagree.

Check any NHRA members car, [any category] and you will find MSD/Mallory/Accel or one of the other "upgrade" ign. systems and very few OEM systems, there is a reason for that.

I run some MSD on my 94 RS, [cap/coil/rotor/leads] and have for years, without any issues and a marked/noticeable improvement in performance and fuel milage over OEM, most noticable whan spraying, [75 shot ZEX system]. 94