Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Replaced Head Gasket-Car idles great when cold, boggs & Overheats

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Head Gasket-Car idles great when cold, boggs & Overheats

I have searched forums and haven't found similar problems, sorry if I missed, but I need help.

I blew my head gasket so I replaced it. I think I put everything back correctly but am having problems.
Engine idles great while cold, but boggs down when I try to drive (appx 3k rpm). Once car is warmed up, it gets really hot and starts to overheat, Then It idles really low & dies right away. The car ran fine before I took apart except for white smoke from tail pipe and water in oil. I had head resurfaced and tested, also checked Block with a straightedge, I could not fit a .002 feeler gauge under. The check engine light does NOT come on either.

Any Ideas, advice, opinions?
Thank you in advance.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Replaced Head Gasket-Car idles great when cold, boggs & Overheats

Sure sounds like a HG issue, test your coolant for hydrocarbons, sounds like combustion gasses are getting into coolant.

Try this, remove rad cap and start engine, any bubbles out of the rad, [may have to wait for engine to warm up]? 94
Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you flush your coolant? If you have an air bubble in the system it could give you a false reading... if you're concerned that combustion is leaking into the coolant system, use a block test kit... you should be able to get one around 40 to 60 bucks
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty sure he^^^ means did you bleed the coolent system.

But he is correct, air in the system is not a good thing, I should have mentioned it myself, but I always assume it has been done because it is such a basic step. 94
Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the suggestions,
I did flush coolant. Also took off radiator cap and checked for bubbles after warm, there were none. Someone else told me it maybe my Idle Air Control, so I will check that.
I am guessing it is a vaccuum line somewhere because I took one small hose off of the back of my intake manifold and it helped some. So I probably mixed up something. Does that sound probable?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you IAC is bad, your engine will stall when you move your steering wheel from lock to lock while idling. If it is working right, the idle will stay fairly steady while moving the steering wheel. (This is assuming you have power steering).

If you think you have a vacuum leak, get a small propane torch canister. Open it and move it around the engine bay near vacuum hoses. If the idle changes when you have the canister in a particular spot, you have found a vacuum leak. It could even stall the engine. Just make sure you do it outside and in no-wind conditions. Don't want to fill up your garage with propane fumes.