Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

B-series Auto into 5th gen civic.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B-series Auto into 5th gen civic.

Watup HT.......

So, I've been thinking about this for a long time, I got a 93 Civic EX-V Auto trans (dont know if its available in the state but here in Canada is basically a 4 door EG with sunroof and all other options), and right now I'm thinking about to get a B-series engine into it, and want to stick with auto tranny.

The reason why I want to stick with Auto tranny, its because the car is basically is for my wife and she doesnt drive manual, also we live in the mountain area so the single cam D-series engine not working well for her.

I got a B20Z engine lying around in my garage that I bought very2 cheap, so I'm thinking to put it into Civic, but after some research I found that the B-series auto tranny is too big for civic, at first I thought about getting DC auto tranny and after some more research I found out that DC auto tranny will be too big and I need the DA auto tranny, can some one correct me here if I'm wrong?

Also there are some info that I found that I need to do something with civic frame rail to get the B-series auto tranny to fit into the engine bay, is that right?

Which subframe that I need, can I just stick with civic subframe, or I have to get integra subframe as well?

I know that integra or B-series auto tranny use seperate TCM (Transmission Control Module), and I need to wire up some wires in my civic to get the B-series auto tranny works in my civic, now my question is if i get DA auto tranny, do I need to get DA TCM as well or it doesnt matter as long as its B-series TCM?

For the mount I found lots of mix and match answer about it, is there any real Bseries auto tranny that will fit into Civic?

I have no problem at all working on cars, I've done couple swaps as well, but never on automatic though, so if anyone can clear all of these infos here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, hope to find some answer soon.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B-series Auto into 5th gen civic.

Have you thought about turbo? It might be nice especially in the mountains. And it sounds to me like it would be way more straightforward.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JDM b16a auto tranny fits ok and has no TCM. I would suggest notching the fame to clear the tranny and welding plate steel back in to accomodate engine tranny movement. I did this about 10 years ago for a customer and it turned out good.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
Have you thought about turbo? It might be nice especially in the mountains. And it sounds to me like it would be way more straightforward.
Turbo isnt really my option since it will be my wife's daily driver.

Anyone got more info about it?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. my 2 sents.

the auto swap was gravy. A little chopping, a little welding. i did the mount the same way an H22 mount would be if it were the 1st gen mounts.

the wiring, be ready, have a comperable pars car, with harness, and pinouts. i believe i have them all as far as the diagrams and can source everythig else you may need.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i pmed you befor. a b16 trans will suit you well. no tcm. no crazy wiring, and auto b16 trans sell for cheam as no one ever really wnats them...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trequartista_10
Turbo isnt really my option since it will be my wife's daily driver.

Anyone got more info about it?
I'm not saying turbo is definitely your best option, but your argument doesn't apply. There is no reason a low boost turbo isn't perfectly fine for DD. They've been used as a reliable way to wring extra power out of small engines for a long time now.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xero_xero
like i pmed you befor. a b16 trans will suit you well. no tcm. no crazy wiring, and auto b16 trans sell for cheam as no one ever really wnats them...
Thanks a lot for the info xero, I really2 appreciate it.

its actually not an auto swap, the car is actually automatic already but I know I still need to add wiring for the fact that B-series USDM auto tranny use their own TCM.

Ok, so even if I want to use DA auto trans, i still to cut a notch on the frame rail? I heard that I can use DA auto trans because they are actually smaller as well as some of them dont use TCM, have any clue about it?

Got any idea how much usually B16 auto tranny will sells?

Thanks again