Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Assistance Needed: 1996 Acura Integra fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Assistance Needed: 1996 Acura Integra fuel pump wiring

ok I have a 1996 Acura Integra Coupe and I messed up the dash harness 5 years ago by cutting it. So I ordered a 1999 Acura Integra dash harness through eBay. And so far so good. But I'm at the fuel pump it looks like I need wiring piece to connect. Because I cant just cut and splice my fuel pump connector. My old one is 2 wires. New one has 3 wires. Im not sure what to do. The pics speak for themselves. (Kinda) at least. You can see I laid my new 1999 wiring next to my old one thats been installed. Not sure what to do. Im lost.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Assistance Needed: 1996 Acura Integra fuel pump wiring

Originally Posted by lolv8s

ok I have a 1996 Acura Integra Coupe and I messed up the dash harness 5 years ago by cutting it. So I ordered a 1999 Acura Integra dash harness through eBay. And so far so good. But I'm at the fuel pump it looks like I need wiring piece to connect. Because I cant just cut and splice my fuel pump connector. My old one is 2 wires. New one has 3 wires. Im not sure what to do. The pics speak for themselves. (Kinda) at least. You can see I laid my new 1999 wiring next to my old one thats been installed. Not sure what to do. Im lost.
im lost on what I should do guys bump
Old 04-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After looking at the wiring diagrams for the two years, i found the difference is that the 99 integra harness has a 8 cavity connector that has another harness that goes to the fuel pump cover and the 96 does not. The two wires for the fuel pump come right off the harness to the fuel pump cover for the 96. So you have two choices go to a junk yard or scour the internet for the small harness that goes from the main harness to the fuel pump, or cut the old connector off the old harness and cut the two wires needed on the 99 harness and solder on the old section of wire that goes through the fuel pump cover. The wire colors are the same green/yellow for fuel pump power and black/white for fuel pump ground. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civic-steve-94
After looking at the wiring diagrams for the two years, i found the difference is that the 99 integra harness has a 8 cavity connector that has another harness that goes to the fuel pump cover and the 96 does not. The two wires for the fuel pump come right off the harness to the fuel pump cover for the 96. So you have two choices go to a junk yard or scour the internet for the small harness that goes from the main harness to the fuel pump, or cut the old connector off the old harness and cut the two wires needed on the 99 harness and solder on the old section of wire that goes through the fuel pump cover. The wire colors are the same green/yellow for fuel pump power and black/white for fuel pump ground. Good Luck
What he said is correct. The 94-96 Tegs have the one harness type and the 97+ have the other. I believe it has to do with the emissions equipment setup on the newer cars. Your choices are A) to find the small harness from an older Teg either online or at a local junkyard, anything 94,95,96 LS/GS/GSR should all have what you need with the direct wire. Choice B is cutting and splicing. Not very hard, even if you don't have any experience. Simply refer to your service manual if you have it or if not google the wire diagram for the fuel pump, see your power signal wires on the newer style connector and splice them in to the two wires on your harness. I would use a soldering gun for the connections; if you don't have one the kits are like $10 at Harbor Freight or like $15 at a AutoZone/PepBoys type place. Walmart has cheap ones too. Once you've seen the connections you need to splice, simply twist bare wire from each of the connections to each other, then heat up your solder gun/iron and coat the connections with a nice bonding layer of solder. Not thick globs but enough to coat and bond the connections. After this, place wire nuts over each splice (ideally, not 100% needed) then wrap each connection tightly with electrical tape. After everything is wrapped individually you can then use the electrical tape to wrap everything tightly together and make it look more OEM. This is personally what I would do since it's easy and cheap, but if your not comfortable with the work then finding the little harness you need may be more for you. Good luck either way!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-steve-94
ok thank you so much. I figured there should be some wiring harness connector to the fuel pump I could find. And again thanks!!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
What he said is correct. The 94-96 Tegs have the one harness type and the 97+ have the other. I believe it has to do with the emissions equipment setup on the newer cars. Your choices are A) to find the small harness from an older Teg either online or at a local junkyard, anything 94,95,96 LS/GS/GSR should all have what you need with the direct wire. Choice B is cutting and splicing. Not very hard, even if you don't have any experience. Simply refer to your service manual if you have it or if not google the wire diagram for the fuel pump, see your power signal wires on the newer style connector and splice them in to the two wires on your harness. I would use a soldering gun for the connections; if you don't have one the kits are like $10 at Harbor Freight or like $15 at a AutoZone/PepBoys type place. Walmart has cheap ones too. Once you've seen the connections you need to splice, simply twist bare wire from each of the connections to each other, then heat up your solder gun/iron and coat the connections with a nice bonding layer of solder. Not thick globs but enough to coat and bond the connections. After this, place wire nuts over each splice (ideally, not 100% needed) then wrap each connection tightly with electrical tape. After everything is wrapped individually you can then use the electrical tape to wrap everything tightly together and make it look more OEM. This is personally what I would do since it's easy and cheap, but if your not comfortable with the work then finding the little harness you need may be more for you. Good luck either way!
alright cool thank you!! My old wiring harness has three wires that go to the fuel pump. and my new one has 2. (might have that backwards) Either way I'll just look for the plug and wiring at a junkyard in my free time. Thank you!!