Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

after replacing the oil pan gasket on my CRV 2000, it's still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after replacing the oil pan gasket on my CRV 2000, it's still leaking

Hello, I really hope that someone can help me revolve a problem that I've had on my 2000 CRV for a few months now. My vehicle started dripping oil around the oil pan area, so I decided to replace the oil pan gasket myself. First time I bought the gasket from a local auto parts store. I cleared the way so I could remove the oil pan, I cleaned the engine block around the oil pan area and the pan itself. But I made the mistake of not putting any silicone between the gasket and the oil pan. Put everything back together and a bout 3 days later the car started leaking oil through the gasket again. Then I changed the gasket 2 more times within a 3 month frame with the same results. The last time I did more research to replace the gasket and this is how I did it:
I drained the oil, dropped the mid-pipe on the exhaust, dropped the pan, cleaned the pan and engine block are where the pan attaches with degreaser and then with a rag soaked in soapy water, then with clean water. Installed the new gasket with the honda hi-temp sealer between the oil pan and gasket. Once the sealer became a little dry on the oil pan I started putting it back on the block so the gasket wouldn't move as I put the bolts back on. Next thing I did was tightening the bolts using the 3 step recommendation by the owner's manual (tightening by hand 2 bolts in the middle of pan, then 2 bolts on the far right side of oil pan and then 2 more bolts on the left side of pan). Kept going around tightening by hand each bolt/nut till they were just snugged. Set the torque wrench at 5 for 1st snug, 2nd set the torque at 7 and final torqued at 8.7 lb-ft (12 Nm). added new oil, installed the mid-exhaust pipe. Next day I checked to see if the car was leaking from the same area and sadly, it's still is!!! Engine oil is leaking out of the from the gasket area!! Can somebody please tell me what am I doing wrong?? this is becoming very stressful!! The oil pan does not have any cracks or dents and the block is in good condition as well. All your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: after replacing the oil pan gasket on my CRV 2000, it's still leaking

are you sure its the oil pan leaking?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: after replacing the oil pan gasket on my CRV 2000, it's still leaking

yes, I'm 100% positive. I can even post some pics. if that would help.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pics are always good.
Have you insured the oil pan is not warped, use a flat edge along mating surface to see if it is "flat", no "dimpling" where bolt holes are. 94
Old 08-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely your oilpan is warped from overtighting you need to lay it flat on wood and tap around edge with hammer softly and u dont need alot of silicone just a couple of dabs and make sur every thing is clean oil free and dry.only tighten the bolts till the gasket stars to squish out and your good.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Trial User

pan does not look distorted and the flange area, looks good all around. Could it be possible that PCV is wrecked or clogged, therefore, the compression is trying to escape elsewhere (i.e. oil pan gasket area)?? could this also be the problem?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen a lot of people install new oil pan gaskets on CRV's and the most common thing is there are 4 steel inserts built into the gasket on the ends, they are moulded into the factory gasket to prevent overtighting, At the crank and flywheel ends. When the old gasket is removed the inserts are stuck on the studs on the block and very hard to see because they look like its part of the stud. When you put the new gasket on the pan and bolt it up the inserts in the new gasket hit the old inserts and stop the pan from tightening up against the block and it will leak. Done lots of these myself and fallen victim to this once, take a peek and see. Only place I have ever put silicone is on the block at the four corners and a small amout on the U shaped ends on the pan and no leaks. Hope this helps
Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're using....honda bond between the oil pan & gasket? Personally i don't even use honda bond when doing an oil pan gasket on a CRV.....since the mating surface of the block is flat...& i just tighten all the bolts & nuts with a 1/4 inch ratchet. So, it's not over torqued....I know everyone has their own ways but this method has worked me....I'm thinking the oil pan is had gotten warped....or there's an oil leak elsewhere....
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use an OEM oil pan gasket. Letting the Honda-Bond dry before re-assembly is a no-no and there should only be a couple 'spots' you use it at anyway (you don't use it on the whole pan).
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Trial User

I can't begin to thank all of you guys for your great help and responses! I checked the PCV valve, I even replaced it, but that wasn't the issue. I decided to replace the oil pan and oil pan gasket (again), I bought both items from the Honda dealer. So, once again I took everything apart and installed the new parts yesterday. I used a very small amount of sealant between the pan and gasket so it wouldn't move as I bolted it to the engine block. When I finished tightening the bolts all around the oil pan (I tightened them at about 8.7 lbs of torque). I let the sealant that used (very small amount) cure for about 6 hours. Then I poured the new oil into the engine and I ran the engine. Kept it running for about 20 mins. As the engine ran I spotted oil coming out from both ends of pan (right and left sides) from in between the pan and engine block through the gasket. I can actually SEE the oil come out from in between the oil pan and engine block!! these are the only places from which the pan is leaking, the other parts are dry, before I replaced the new oil pan the old pan used to leak from almost all around it. What should I do know?? should I just take it apart and put sealant on both sides of gasket?? or should I use sealant on the parts that are leaking the oil?? Can I use the same gasket?? I just installed it yesterday and I had the car running for about 20 mins. Canuck99, thanks for your advice! I have checked the studs and I did not see any old inserts from the previous gasket, since I see the leaks coming out from the U shaped I will follow your advice and use sealant on those area, hope this solves the problem.