Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

AC Part identification: Can't find on Honda Microfiche

Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Part identification: Can't find on Honda Microfiche

Last dude took this part out (circled in red) and wire-nutted the two gray wires going to it, together... can anyone tell me what it is called or have a part number by chance?

I don't know what's up with it, but I just changed out all the AC parts, and I don't want to try fill or run it until everything in the system is fixed. Right now the compressor is unplugged so that it doesn't get damaged in case this this has something to do with the compressor clutch control.

The car is a stock 98 hatch.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: AC Part identification: Can't find on Honda Microfiche

Nothing is circled in red...
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is now, my bad, uploaded the wrong pic at first.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like the ac thermostat...specifically the connector for the ac thermostat
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the plug is fine, but whatever it is supposed to be plugged into is missing.
Are you sure it's the thermostat?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The thing the ac thermostat connector is plugged into, on the other side, is a copper type of wire and on the far end of it the thermostat is attached to the evaporator core. So unplug that and either take a very close couple pictures of what it's plugged into(or not plugged into) or look close at the other end of it where it's plugged into and see if you a see a copper/bronze type of hard wire coming out of the other end.

Also, if you line it up going to the other side, into the engine bay, should be the low pressure lines. Just pop the hood and see if the evap lines are coming directly out of the other side of the box that that's attached to. If yes, then it has to be the ac thermostat. Also, it should be a two wire connector. The other connector in that picture seems to be atleast 4 or more wires so it shouldn't be it.

Also, if your ac is working, you can disconnect that and your ac will not work anymore, specifically the compressor won't cycle on.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That circled connector is the evaporator thermistor, which is a sensor designed to cycle the compressor on and off based on outlet temperature. A missing sensor will prohibit operation as the circuit can no longer determine temperature. I have seen very few of these fail in my career, normally the expansion valve is to blame, much like most Toyota compacts.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
That circled connector is the evaporator thermistor, which is a sensor designed to cycle the compressor on and off based on outlet temperature. A missing sensor will prohibit operation as the circuit can no longer determine temperature. I have seen very few of these fail in my career, normally the expansion valve is to blame, much like most Toyota compacts.

That part was "missing"; I took a picture of what I found in there when I bought the car, and what was there was a circuit board. The circuit board is beat up, with a ground wire soldered to it, and a capacitor broke off of it. Instead of messing with it, I'd rather buy the real complete, virgin part.

In the picture with the red writing, you can see I'm holding two grey wires that the previous owner wire-nutted together (Anyone have a link to a 98 dx wiring diagram?)
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those grey wires that are nutted together are the wires that attach to the temp unit your holding in your hands in the second picture. those 2 wires attach to the actual sensor that is mounted on the evaporator core itself. your not gonna find those wires in a diagram. if you go to the junkyard and find another temp sensor it will have those grey wires soldered to it already. then just plug it in and clip the grey wires back on to the evaporator housing clip. evaporator is going to have to come out probably to get that put back in the correct spot.

edit: they just sit on top of the evaporator they don't go anywhere. so don't try and wire them to anything.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

#22...
Name:  98 civic.png
Views: 6832
Size:  41.1 KB

$21.13 at Majestic Honda parts online.

Although, as mentioned, the A/C thermostat will "cycle" the compressor, it is also there to prevent evaporator from freezing up, [by cycling/turning off the compressor] as it most likely will if the A/C thermostat has been "jumped". 94
Old 06-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looking at the picture looks like they might have soldered those wires in an attempt to get the ac to blow colder.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
lol that's a thermostat definition
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Clean up those wires too while you're at it. A visit to a junkyard will supply you with all the necessary parts probably for under $20 but it may be worth your while to buy the thermostat new. What concerns me a bit is that the P.O. did all this hack job work and probably never actually fixed the A/C problem. Be sure to look for other potential issues before you vac and fill.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a bunch guys, I've been super busy this week but will be hitting the junkyard tomorrow. I've never taken out the evaporator, so it will be a first for me to try with the car at the junkyard.

Also FCM, thanks for that tidbit, as that explains the reason I found out the ac didn't work after my dad put in the new compressor a few years ago... It blew cold for about an hour or two on my first drive with it after he replaced the compressor, but then it stopped blowing cold unless I shut it off every few hours... then I pulled the glovebox out and realized the whole evaporator housing was covered in frost.

Would the compressor be damaged if this was the case?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by redsikiller
Thanks a bunch guys, I've been super busy this week but will be hitting the junkyard tomorrow. I've never taken out the evaporator, so it will be a first for me to try with the car at the junkyard.

Also FCM, thanks for that tidbit, as that explains the reason I found out the ac didn't work after my dad put in the new compressor a few years ago... It blew cold for about an hour or two on my first drive with it after he replaced the compressor, but then it stopped blowing cold unless I shut it off every few hours... then I pulled the glovebox out and realized the whole evaporator housing was covered in frost.

Would the compressor be damaged if this was the case?
If thats the issue youre having the problem is the expansion valve. Replace that $15 part and youll be as good as new.

Leave the thermostat alone.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If thats the issue youre having the problem is the expansion valve. Replace that $15 part and youll be as good as new.

Leave the thermostat alone.
READ before you offer advice.

OP can not, "Leave the thermostat alone" it has been bypassed/jumped, so there is nothing to cycle the compressor, evap. will freeze up causing a restriction resulting in no cold air unless OP turned off the A/C untill evap. thawed.

OP, yes damage may have been done, a restriction can damage any A/C componant, including the compressor. 94
Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by fcm
READ before you offer advice.

OP can not, "Leave the thermostat alone" it has been bypassed/jumped, so there is nothing to cycle the compressor, evap. will freeze up causing a restriction resulting in no cold air unless OP turned off the A/C untill evap. thawed.

OP, yes damage may have been done, a restriction can damage any A/C componant, including the compressor. 94
Why would anyone remove the thermostat, which requires removal of the evap core if they are planning on bypassing it? Does that make any sense to you? It shouldnt. Assuming its no longer attached to the connector, which is strange, considering it appears to be attached to something, then possibly someobe rigged up another thermistor, which in itself would be very odd, considering the OP specifically said the ac works but freezes over, which normally means the expansion valve is bad.

OP when you pul the evap core i would love for you to take some detailed pics of it along with how it is currently rigged. Also pick up an expansion valve cause you will need it. If the thermostat has been removed put it back to the way it was.

Ignore what that, sometimes intelligent poster but extremely pissed off at how many times i keep clowning him in successive threads, has said, which isnt anything of value with regards to actually solving your issue and follow my advice and you should be good to go and if not keep us updated and i will get you going.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Wow, it's a shitshow in here. OP probably doesn't need a whole replacement evap, but getting another one might give peace of mind. OP should definitely replace his thermostat because it's been hacked up, however if he gets another evap box then it will come with a thermostat. OP should replace the exp valve regardless although he could roll the dice and hope that the valve in the replacement evap box is OK.

Finally, OP should consider this a prime opportunity to install a cabin filter. See my Sig for details.

Last edited by deschlong; 06-23-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your gonna replace the evaporator use the evaporator out of a crv it has cabin filter slot. I installed one in my eg hatch. nice clean air all the time and no dirty *** evaporator filled with leaves and dirt blocking air passages.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Why would anyone remove the thermostat, which requires removal of the evap core if they are planning on bypassing it? Does that make any sense to you? It shouldnt. Assuming its no longer attached to the connector, which is strange, considering it appears to be attached to something, then possibly someobe rigged up another thermistor, which in itself would be very odd, considering the OP specifically said the ac works but freezes over, which normally means the expansion valve is bad.

OP when you pul the evap core i would love for you to take some detailed pics of it along with how it is currently rigged. Also pick up an expansion valve cause you will need it. If the thermostat has been removed put it back to the way it was.

Ignore what that, sometimes intelligent poster but extremely pissed off at how many times i keep clowning him in successive threads, has said, which isnt anything of value with regards to actually solving your issue and follow my advice and you should be good to go and if not keep us updated and i will get you going.
I have no idea why anyone would remove it, but OPs opening post says it was removed, "Last dude took this part out (circled in red) and wire-nutted the two gray wires going to it, together"

Also, you do not have to remove the evaporator to remove the A/C thermostat, take my word for it, my shop, Airwolfe Auto Air Conditioning. 94
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It depends on if the thermostat is bent inside the coils. If that's the case then you must remove it or you will damage the coils.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM
fcm
Old Fart

I guess anything is possible. 94