Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

5-speed Manualy shifted Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5-speed Manualy shifted Odyssey

There's no Odyssey-specific forum, so I guess my ride ends up here, but that's cool with me. Just wanted to share my latest creation with the rest of the Honda world. Been in the Honda scene for a while, but I've always been a D-Series mad-scientist. Now that I have three kids to tote around, cruising around in my `91 Civic Hatchback has become somewhat of a major production, so I've embarked on a new project; my `95 Honda Odyssey. I always used to say I wouldn't be caught owning a minivan, let alone anything with an automatic tranns, but here I am with one now. Still, if I have to own one it's going to look cool and be fun for me and the kids to cruise in it, so after I got it I went straight to work.
I've already built the suspension with a Tein spring/shock setup, upgraded the brakes, and I did a manual transmission conversion using a 97 Accord LX unit. It looks great, stops like a champ, handles well (for a minivan), and it's fun to drive with the manual conversion; road-trips with the family have taken on a whole new meaning. Now I'm looking for more power. I was planning to use a VTEC SOHC engine from an Accord EX or Acura CL, but when I started reading about what Bisi Ezerioha had to say about the F22A1 cylinder head, I started having second thoughts. I may go turbo, may not, but I'm in no rush to figure it out. Here's the pics. Please excuse the picture quality (or lack there of), I had to use take them with my cell-phone camera, since my digi-cam is on the frits.

Name:  Image023.jpg
Views: 4933
Size:  82.4 KB

The body kit is some kind of cheap knock-off, I think of a Garson kit. I wanted to get something genuine, but I drive it almost every day, and I didn't see the point in thrashing an expensive kit, when I can get this one for $500 and not worry about it.

Name:  Image025.jpg
Views: 4836
Size:  86.6 KB

The rims are 17x8/17x9 Veilside. Believe it or not I even added 1" inch bolt-on spacers in the back, and the tires still don't rub. It looks killer, but we'll see how long my wheel bearings last.

Name:  Image001.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  55.4 KB

I got the wood-grain from a guy on E-Bay. It was very reasonbly priced at $50, and suprisingly high quality. It matches the Momo wood steering wheel almost perfect. I was very lucky

Name:  Image022.jpg
Views: 4626
Size:  75.0 KB

This is what really trips people out; the shifter. I drafted up a riser-box on paper, and my father-in-law fabbed it up for me at his work (he's a machinist at LADWP). The shifter and all associated Honda hardware came out of a `95 Prelude. Of course I had to cut and hack the clutch pedal so that it wouldn't be to far to the left and on the floor.

Name:  Airforce14.jpg
Views: 4630
Size:  63.7 KB

I'm going to have a buddy make a center-console, but for now I'm having fun showing off the mechanicals of the conversion. I've been given many labels for doing this, many of them not good, but I take them all as compliments. Who says minivans have to be dull and boring?

Name:  Airforce13.jpg
Views: 4617
Size:  96.3 KB

I got lucky on E-Bay again. The wing is a genuine Mugen piece, and I got it for $78! I thought for sure I was just buying a nice looking fake, but the product speaks for itself. It makes the van look like a giant hatchback.

Let me know what you guys think. Along with more power I'm considering an exhaust, and a set of sway-bars to do away with the excessive lean in the corners, but I don't which ones to use. I may have to get them custom made somewhere. Any suggestions are welcome.

T

Modified by 656delta at 11:39 AM 10/8/2008

Modified by 656delta at 11:39 AM 10/8/2008
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love those old odysseys. If you want some more performance just do what all the F22A guys do. Redrilled DSM manifold, dsm turbo, dsm injectors, dsm BOV....you get the idea. Point is, turboing an F22A can be pretty inexpensive, and they can make nice power.

Great project
Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (thehatchninja)

Love the van man....it's unique.

Could do without the wood thou...makes the car look tacky IMO. Aluminum or CF would being a nice addition instead of the wood IMO of cause.

The shifter seems a bit on the short side as well. Do you have any problems shifting it like that?

I would strongly recommend a short shifter. I recently got a van..well mini mini van myself......the FIT. To me that is a van, at least it looks like it.

That is and will be the closes thing to a family car that I will ever see myself in but only time will tell.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX T-Si)

Thanks for the input, though I already have most of the turbo stuff that I would need, except for the manifold. I have a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid that I used to run in my EF. I'm kind of curious to see how much boost an F-series can handle on the stock bottom end.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (656delta)

I thought about the carbon-fiber treatment, but I didn't find any good quality kits. I really wanted brushed aluminum, but no one made it. I ended up going with the wood because I was going for the sport/luxory look. I guess it would have looked a lot better though if my van had come equipped with a black interior, rather than a blue one. It shifts fine, and it seems to be in the right location. A shorter throw would be nice. If it were any taller it would probably hit the radio when I put in 3rd or 5th. As it is now I can't use the cup-holder just below the radio, but I'll just install another one in the center console when we fab it up.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:10 PM

Default Re: 5-speed Manualy shifted Odyssey (656delta)

nice VAN DUDE. Ive always been a sucker for vans.. Its got that Yakuza feel to it. Im not sure the motor, my aunt has 04 Oddessy, **** rips for being in a van. Might want to look into that. I know peeps have slapped turbos on them. Cean ride though.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're going to pull the engine, why not just drop in an H22? Looks like you already got the hard part done!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think he's pulling the engine. The F22 is a good boost motor. 300hp on the stock bottom end is very feasible. Also, replacement engines are cheap and easy to find.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

If I was going to install an engine and leave it stock, or all motor, I would definately go with the H22. You can't go rong with over 200 reliable horses from the factory. But since I may boost later on I'm going to stick with an F22A1. Because of the port design in the head I can make lots of power for a lot less money, and the engines are easy to come by (my buddy has one chillin in his back yard right now). I want to balance/knife-edge the crank and get all the pistons and rods within a few grams of each other. I figure if I reduce enough vibration in the rotating mass I can delete the balance-shaft (Kaizensport makes a killer delete-kit for a reasonable price). This combined with the SOHC advantage will give me less rotating mass than a DOHC engine. Best part about it will be that I can take all of the turbo stuff off for smog and the engine will appear completely stock. I'll be running on a balanced-but-stock F22 for probably about a year before I install the turbo, due to the cash-flow restrictions, so it gives me time to come up with a good buil-up plan for the long-block. Kind of funny that I'm planning to do all this and stick it in a darn minivan. It goes along with my vehicle-that-does-everything theme.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (656delta)

Very nice ! Most impressive !
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glade theres more comming out now
boost it you will love it
iv done mine h22 5speed on 8lbs of boost its so nice to with ac and ps
lmk if you need any help
g23 and 18 lbs next

[/

Last edited by overboostin; 11-20-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5-speed Manualy shifted Odyssey

It's been a while since I've checked out this thread, but I'm glad I logged back on. I like your turbo-van; bad-***! I've since traded my blue van for a friend's white one, an H22 powered Odyssey that was featured in Super Street some time ago. I swapped over all my brake and suspension goodies, added a Mugen body kit, and did the 5-speed conversion on it. Here's a few pics of the new people-mover:

Name:  Mugenmakeover2-1.jpg
Views: 4443
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  Mugen1.jpg
Views: 4257
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  Mugenmakeover.jpg
Views: 4292
Size:  69.3 KB

I also made a special mod to the shock-towers. With both vans I had problems with the upper control arm smacking into the unibody and popping off the snap-ring that holds in the upper ball-joints. I cut an access/relief hole to allow more travel, and to allow the camber to be adjusted while the van is on the ground. My alignment tech has thanked me repeatedly for this one! It rides a lot smoother now as well, and the ingalls upper ball-joints are held on with a large steel nut, rather than a week-suace snap-ring.

Name:  Passengersideshock-tower3.jpg
Views: 4232
Size:  37.6 KB

It's a lot more fun with the H22 engine, and it even gets better milage than my old van with the F-series (providing I can keep my wife from trying to break the soun-bearier when she's driving it). I'm thinking that on my next clutch replacement I'm going to replace the axles, since that seems to be the new week-point, and maybe install a Quaife differential.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM

dude thats badass
not really diggin the whole bodykit thing
i like the sleeper look of the blue van
but a 5speed h22 odyssey is ****in dope
boost that **** and move people faster haha

oh and do you have any interior/motor shots on the white one??
Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll take some interior and engine shots today. The interior looks identical to my old blue van, since we swapped out most of the interior components during the trade. My buddy wanted to keep the Recaros he had mounted in the white one, and since they went with the interior that he already had we just swapped out everything. I would LOVE to boost on it, but I'm afraid I'll run into the same issues that I ran into with my Civic when it comes to smog and legality. That would be pretty kick-*** though! The blue van had an even more aggressive body kit than this one, a Garson kit, so installed the Mugen kit to make it easier to deal with around town, since I drive it every day. The sides of the uni-body sit pretty high off the ground so it looked funny without it, kind of like an EG with the stock rocker-panels removed. Love it or hate it, it's definitely different. I get a lot of weird stares around town. LOL...
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Mugen kit looks sick as can be, and I've always been a fan of the Aerotop that Ron did. I've been wanting one forever on my RA1, but he seems to have access to junkyards that I don't.

The upper control arm problem has always made me wonder why no one has developed a replacement drop knuckle, to compensate properly for the new ride height. It'd give the entire chassis better handling characteristics as well, since the control arm would be more level.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably because there wasn't enough demand for it. You would think that there was enough Accord guys who would've wanted one, and that would've been cool for us, since the front steering up-rights are identical to the Odyssey's. The Odyssey camp is a pretty small one compared to that of the Integras, Civics, and even Preludes, so we kind of get left to our own devices as far as coming up with modifications, but that's what makes it fun. You know that when you do something special to an Odyssey it will most likely be different than anything else on the road.
Here's some pics I took of the engine bay and front interior today. I didn't even clean it for the pics, so it's nothing exciting.

Here's the engine bay. You can see the hydro-cable for the clutch at the top near the base of the windshield. i figured it best to keep it from the engine heat so I won't cook the fluid.

Like I said before, the interior is almost identical to the pictures of the blue van in the first part of this thread, since we just transfered everything over.

Name:  Odyssey3.jpg
Views: 4245
Size:  46.9 KB

Except for the Mugen badge on the upper glove compartment.

Name:  Odyssey2.jpg
Views: 4257
Size:  31.3 KB

For the shifter I used one from a `92 Prelude this time. Because of the angle in the stick I can use the cup-holder now, regardless of what gear it's in.

Name:  Odyssey1.jpg
Views: 4242
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

absolutely badass!!!
Good job man!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
absolutely badass!!!
Good job man!
Thanks a lot, Bro! The compliment is much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Every time I look at this thread, it makes me consider manual transmission swaps. You're a bad influence for my wallet.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Every time I look at this thread, it makes me consider manual transmission swaps. You're a bad influence for my wallet.
Glad I can be of help! Hahaha... Starting on another van, gonna have "his-and-hers" vans for me and the wifey. Most likely going to be identical to this one, except it won't have the dome roof. May swap a few parts around between the two. Stay tuned, in the next few months I'll post it up.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man im glad im not alone . you got one too again .
when u plan on boostin. ??
Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by overboostin
man im glad im not alone . you got one too again .
when u plan on boostin. ??
I already have the turbo and all associated parts. Gonna keep it at 6 pounds until I have a chance to build another long-block, but it should make for some good fun. I'm looking forward to getting this project on the road, seeing how useful the first one is. I've never had this much fun with my projects before, seeing how I can use these things every day to haul kids and junk around. I'm going to try for an awesome new look with some old-school somewhat low offset wheels. Basically going to make myself a giant slammed 4-door EG-Civic-lookin'-thing. Gonna be dope. I can visualize it already. Just wish I could visualize the money as fast as the ideas, LOL.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 656delta
I already have the turbo and all associated parts. Gonna keep it at 6 pounds until I have a chance to build another long-block, but it should make for some good fun. I'm looking forward to getting this project on the road, seeing how useful the first one is. I've never had this much fun with my projects before, seeing how I can use these things every day to haul kids and junk around. I'm going to try for an awesome new look with some old-school somewhat low offset wheels. Basically going to make myself a giant slammed 4-door EG-Civic-lookin'-thing. Gonna be dope. I can visualize it already. Just wish I could visualize the money as fast as the ideas, LOL.
when you launch the van look out for the tranny so besure to get lsd http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...threadid=36790
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i dont caRE what people say about mini vans odysseys are the ****.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: 5-speed Manualy shifted Odyssey

Originally Posted by overboostin
when you launch the van look out for the tranny so besure to get lsd http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...threadid=36790
Thanks for the advice. Both of my vans have open differentials right now, and I'm going to use Quaife's on their next rebuilds. I don't really launch off the line too often, but I have taken it canyon running and it handles quite well. I usually wear out CV-axles every six months, so I'm probably going to have to find some aftermarket higher HP rated axles to deal with all the extra weight. Thinking of giving The Driveshaft Shop a call and see what they can make for me. I use standard 5-speed Accord axles. I'm also going to have to re-enforce the engine mounts some how, since I've broken a few front/rear mounts from all heel-toe-shifting it all the time. My wife and I drive the crap out of it every day, so it's no wonder I keep having to replace stuff.
That's some serious damage you did to your Odyssey trans. The postings in your thread are right; you're probably the only guy who can say he blew the diff out the bottom of his wife's minivan while drag-racing. Good ****, man!

Quick Reply: 5-speed Manualy shifted Odyssey