Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

What are your Ground Control Spring rates ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What are your Ground Control Spring rates ?

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
I'm on 205/45/16 on essentially an EM1 with 450/400 and it is NOT harsh at all! I did too much reading where people say OTS GC rates are the max for comfort on the road. I've also read that 350lb rear are harsh but then you read something contradicting it. My biggest regret is not going with stiffer rates like 500/450. Higher rate front springs are not noticeable since more than 60% of the weight is up front. If you want a 1 finger gap then please go with at least 450lb front and 350lb rear, you will not be disappointed.
Thanks for the info.
How much r u lowered now with the 450/400 ?
Can you go with 1 finger Gap with these spring rate?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tron_
I'm planning on running a 1 finger gap and went with 450F/350R (although I will be running a 17" wheel). From what I have read I should be fine so I think you should be good with rates similar to mine too!
Currently runnning this setup or u r planning to do so ?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

450/350 should be fine with a 1 finger gap.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also looking for suggestions on spring rates.

After destroying my front lower bar and oil pan and eating through tires I've decided to raise the car up to about .5"-1" below stock height.

I want the best performing(as in "I wanna go fast!") setup possible for terrible roads (Cincinnati/Northern KY). In other words, I don't want tires leaving the ground when hitting bumps at high speeds if possible; but I'd also like to reduce under-steer and overall roll as much as possible.

I enjoy the occasional AutoX and will likely be doing some track days @ Mid-Ohio with the car, but surprise mid-corner pot holes and speed-bumpesque highway seams will be seen much more often than apex curbing.

95' Del Sol VTEC
195/55/15
Currently have Koni Yellow/Intrax springs of unknown rate (feel overdamped on full soft)
My rear subframe is ripped to pieces from having too much fun with my ITR rear sway bar. I'll be repairing and installing an ASR brace. I have the ITR bar and also a 19mm Neuspeed bar to play with.

I'm thinking 10" 275f/225r with the ITR bar, thoughts?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QKRTHNU
I enjoy the occasional AutoX and will likely be doing some track days

I'm thinking 10" 275f/225r with the ITR bar, thoughts?
Not with those soft rates.

Where do you drive that you catch air from hitting a bump in the road? How much of this thread did you read?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Not with those soft rates.
You think these are far too soft? I was figuring they were pretty close to stock ITR rates and those AutoX pretty well in stock form.

Where do you drive that you catch air from hitting a bump in the road? How much of this thread did you read?
My Del Sol has been in my garage for a while undergoing a head rebuild and turbo setup, but I've been driving my MKIII GTI w/ a 28mm adjustable rear bar set to the stiffest point and these coilovers http://www.esetuning.com/FK-Automoti...t-p/fkvw55.htm corner weighted by a very good local alignment shop.

With that setup I can feel the rears get really light here: http://goo.gl/maps/Un1j in basically a straight line and here: http://goo.gl/maps/dnZ0 in a slight left turn at anything over 65mph, at 80+mph the rear is definitely off the ground briefly. Doesn't look like much because it's not, I think the springs are just too stiff. I have to set the dampers to 5/6 to feel like they're controlling the springs and it rides like a brick. Obviously this is a different car, but I want to avoid the same problem with new springs on the Honda.

I read through the entire thread. No one else looked to be planning on running as high of a ride height as me, so the higher rates they're running probably aren't necessary. I don't care if my car ends up looking like a 4x4, I just want it to have maximum grip on the streets which I spend 90% of my time driving. Something that would suit tarmac/gravel rally courses is probably what I'm looking for.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM
The Grumpiest

And you drive a Del Sol.
It seems your goals are contrary to one another.
Almost everyone in this thread that said the same as you, not too harsh for a daily driver but stiff enough for occasional auto-x was told to get something in the neighborhood of 45-f/350r. Hence the reason why I wondered if you indeed read the thread.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 07-19-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on now, no need to bash the del sol, it's a decent little car. It's not like civics, integras or preludes are real sports cars either.

Ok, ignore the occasional AutoX from the goal equation if you think that's a conflict, although I disagree.

Harshness isn't even really the issue. I'm shooting for ideal rates for maximum grip on rough pavement (bumps, dips & holes). I'm of the opinion that high spring rates hurt performance on rough roads.

Are you saying that the frequent recommendation of 450/350 applies regardless of ride height?

I'm not sure if these numbers are accurate, but from the few threads I was able to find via search it looks like the Del Sol VTEC ran ~200f/150r stock. If I'm going to run close to stock height a 125%f/133%r increase seems like a large increase. ITR & CTR supposedly ran ~250/250, I never really thought of them as overly softly sprung cars but they definitely are compared to a 450/350 setup.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
The Grumpiest

I said in the neighborhood of.
Unfortunately I, nor anyone else, know what your definition of a stiff/soft ride is. The minimum I would recommend for auto-x is 350/350. Riding high for auto-x seems counterproductive. A low center of gravity would seem to be what you want to achieve.
Daily driving is going to be up to you to do decide and you seem bent on getting soft-*** rates. Hence why I say your goals are contrary to one another.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I said in the neighborhood of.
you seem bent on getting soft-*** rates.
LOL. I just think most people running high rates on the street do it so they can be "slammed yo", or because they associate a stiffer feel with increased performance whether or not it actually is correlated. If I need to run a higher rate than I'm thinking to get optimal street performance then I will, I'm not opposed to it, just skeptical.

Yes there's without doubt a benefit to lowering the CG, I'm just sick of hitting my oil pan on raised manhole covers in constuction zones.

Your garage link states that you're running "Progress CS-II (350F/250R)", that's only 27% stiffer in front and 11% stiffer in the rear than what I was considering. What's your opinion of that rate combo? Does it feel like a "soft-*** rate"? How much did you lower the ride height?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
The Grumpiest

I don't hit my oil pan and I'm not jarring my spine. I don't lean in the corners and I've got a roughly 1-2 finger gap from tire to fender.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 07-20-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I received my Koni shocks today, but I'm still waiting on my GC's and PIC LCA's. I ordered the OTS rates, and I'll be replacing what I was told are T1R coilovers and stock DX LCA's. My current ride is similar to that of, oh I don't know, a pogo stick. Its tight in smooth turns, but shakes over 65. I will not be autocrossing/racing, so I feel the upgrade will be sufficient for spurts of spirited driving. However, reading some of this thread is making me second guess my decision. Should I have gone stiffer? Pittsburgh roads are seriously harsh!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Master Detailer

I would have gone stiffer.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i need help and im jumping in.....

i have a 95 accord coupe, i have new kyb agx and i have some gc sleeves and i was ABOUT to order 4 ers springs from gc's website... i want a decently comfortable ride compared to my neuspeed race springs(which i love)... car is an ex but i have removed over 350 lbs of weight(yes i weighed it) and i installed a 4 point autopower race rollbar(~70 lbs).. i weigh 200....

so im very undecided on spring rates.. i am pretty set on getting 7" front springs and 8" rears... but i am undecided on rates.. my battery is in the trunk and the only thing in the bay is engine/tranny...

would 350/400 or 400/450 work ok? i like a somewhat stiff ride but i cant deal with tight non stop bouncing every time i hit a pebble.. i like to do some DE's and i go drag racing.. car is currentrly f22 turbo but im either k or j'ing the car over winter...

sorry for the long post but i have enjoyed all the advice and comraderie in here so im game for some advice.. thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw that someone said that a motor swaps difference in weight should not make a difference with the stiffness of the front spring.

I would have to agree 100%.

If the swapped in motor offers significantly more torque and less oilpan clearance I would make an exception. I have both more torque (K24a2) and less oilpan clearance so I opted for a stiffer front (450f) because I go into corners carrying more momentum, thus putting the nose down harder. More momentum translates directly to more weight especially when braking.

94 EG hatch 450f 400r. Rear sway bar.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 PM
a.k.a. Komodo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by willymccoy
If the swapped in motor offers significantly more torque and less oilpan clearance I would make an exception... ...I go into corners carrying more momentum, thus putting the nose down harder. More momentum translates directly to more weight especially when braking.
No it doesn't. Your engine bears no relation to the deceleration capability of your car, unless of course you've fitted some form of reverse drive braking system...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

96 Integra sedan 500lbs all around on koni yellows.
14 inch hx rims on 185/65 on full stiff.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kozy.
No it doesn't. Your engine bears no relation to the deceleration capability of your car, unless of course you've fitted some form of reverse drive braking system...
Good to know. I read your second "**** I wrote about" treatise. Good article. :up:
Thank you.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Springs on my 93 SI right now are 8"/380lbs in front and 7"/250lbs in rear. Car also has ITR front and rear sway bars on it.

Had these rates stock from Ground Control for years. I used to daily drive the car way back when so the rates were nice but now it is only a toy for curvy back roads/weekends. When I take the car out I drive it hard. The rears seem "okay" but I rub under hard cornering in the front especially if I hit a bump mid corner.

Was thinking about going 450lbs in the front. Will that be much of a change from 380? Should I go 500?

Also could I swap the 8"/380lb springs into the rear? Guessing I would have to lower the collar on the sleeves to compensate for the length?

This is how the car sits now, although I bought a set of 205/45 RE-11's that will be replacing the 205/40 RT615 (I hate the small sidewalls)
Name:  DSC02451-1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Master Detailer

450 isn't going to be that much different, especially in the front. You can definitely put the 380's in the rear. That would be a nice change.

450/350 is really popular.

How does the car behave now? Oversteer/understeer? Are you looking for oversteer?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like how the car handles now, with the ITR swaybars it exhibits over steer especially lift throttle over steer you have to be careful in a fast sweeper not to lift. In a tight tun/hairpin you can come in, lift slightly and the car will begin to rotate and then get back on the throttle.

I would not mind a little less on the street though since I have had a few butt puckering moments......like ripping an off ramp and the person in front of you slows down causing me to lift and go for the brakes. The rear end will step out in that situation lol

I have no camber adjustment at all though and the last few times the car has been aligned has just been your standard tire shop toe and go. I imagine the right alignment settings could do wonders also
Old 06-18-2014, 02:57 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

450/380 would make the f/r bias 1.18:1 vs your current 380/250 setup that makes for a 1.52:1 f/r bias. In theory 450/380 would make for even more oversteer.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
450/380 would make the f/r bias 1.18:1 vs your current 380/250 setup that makes for a 1.52:1 f/r bias. In theory 450/380 would make for even more oversteer.
I thought of this also. The more I think about it though the last time I drove the car I did take it to a shop and had an alignment done.....first one in a long time because I drove the car on a road trip to tail of the dragon (which was one of the last times I drove the car...about a year ago). I dont remember the car being overly tail happy on that trip and I drove the crap out of it. I wonder if the issues I was having could have been alignment related? Sway was also disconnected several times before the trip....maybe it was binding?

I think I may try 500f/380r if I can get away with the 8" spring in the rear.....that would be 1.31:1 I havent really noticed anyone running these rates though....
Old 06-19-2014, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I run 8" 380f and 8" 380r and I am about the same ride height as you. the 8" 380 is fine for the rears. I run si's with 205/50/15's

My car is not a daily, I am thinking about going to 500/500 or so
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that, I think I will try the 380's on the rear then. I just ordered a set of 475's for the front so we will see lol

Quick Reply: What are your Ground Control Spring rates ?