Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

What NOT to do when installing Konis (Idiot warning)-

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What NOT to do when installing Konis (Idiot warning)-

About 8 months ago, a friend of mine (now a Honda Certified technician) and I installed a set of new Koni Yellow SP3's on my 2000 Civic Si, along with the H&R Sports i'd been running on the stock struts.

Well, I don't know how this slipped past us (especially him), but in hindsight I could never figure out why the front of the car sat higher with the Konis than it did on the stock struts. Well, today I was taking ride height measurements because I was thinking about lowering the Koni's spring perches to the next-lowest setting (I'm on the middle of 5 clip notches right now, or "stock" ).

Low and behold, the front spring perches were installed UPSIDE-DOWN, looking like this:

\____/

instead of this:

__/ \__

I know the front perches are supposed to be "upside down" compared with the rear cups, but my fronts are evidently installed incorrectly.

Now, I am probably going to change these out this weekend and reverse the front perches. However, do you think that, in 12,000 miles of driving, there were any adverse effects on the front struts by running them that way? Or should I just swap them out and call it a day? I wouldn't think anything would be damaged, but what do I know (not much apparently).

Anyway, i'm done venting. Thanks.

Cliff notes:

-Installed front Koni springs perches upside down
-Car rides higher in the front as a result
-Changing them back this weekend
-Any problems?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than wear on the spring perch I can't imagine any adverse effects. Swap it and call it a day.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Other than wear on the spring perch I can't imagine any adverse effects. Swap it and call it a day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks