Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Track Suspension Thoughts and ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Eclypz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eclypz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you able to tell by looking at them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont see a regular Koni adjustment **** at the top, but that could be the H&R cup kit i'm thinking about.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (Eclypz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eclypz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have tried different spring rates
I wanted a bit more rotation, so i swapped the rears out for stiffer ones (originally 14K, but now 16K).</TD></TR></TABLE>

rotation = good

Wasnt meant as an attack... just so much misinfo out there
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Big Phat R)

I'm not exactly a novice to track and car handling, but the civic is still a mystery to me. I have no idea how it will handle on the track as it's almost 1000 lbs lighter than my last car, so your advice of being cautious with the spring rates is well taken.

I've gone ahead and ordered the GC's, but in a huge slip of the mind I forgot the Koni adapter. I'll have to call up and order it seperately.

Does anyone here have a good reccomendation for sways to go with? Comptech?

Thank you much.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont see a regular Koni adjustment **** at the top, but that could be the H&R cup kit i'm thinking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope...these aren't the cup kit.
this is a full-coilover by H&R for road racing.
It's called 'H&R Road Race'. I believe they only made it for the ITR.
I actually don't think they make it anymore (with a retail of $2200usd, i wonder why).

Fortunately I was lucky to pick these up off of a friend for cheap.

Modified by Eclypz at 2:17 PM 1/5/2005
Old 01-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Necessity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Necessity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not exactly a novice to track and car handling, but the civic is still a mystery to me. I have no idea how it will handle on the track as it's almost 1000 lbs lighter than my last car, so your advice of being cautious with the spring rates is well taken.

I've gone ahead and ordered the GC's, but in a huge slip of the mind I forgot the Koni adapter. I'll have to call up and order it seperately.

Does anyone here have a good reccomendation for sways to go with? Comptech?

Thank you much.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using the Suspension techinques front and rear
22mm front
19mm rear

Most honda drivers only upgrade the rear sway bar to induce a bit more rotation.

But yes....800lb/in spring rates would be too much for your civic...i forgot that you don't have a teg
Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Necessity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've gone ahead and ordered the GC's, but in a huge slip of the mind I forgot the Koni adapter. I'll have to call up and order it seperately.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a separate part # for koni-specific GC sleeves - you shouldnt need an adapter
Old 01-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Eclypz)

eclypz, i didnt mean to attack anything other than to express my doubt that these were "great" springs to use. especially before expressing what the car was used for, and the shocks that you used.

i guess its my fear that ppl will read your statements and think 900lbs springs on their car is reasonable if you can just tough it out and not care about comfort and slap them on their "track" car which is really mainly driven on the street. it really isnt reasonable. ive found this out personally, on the track.

you didnt say at first you were driving them on the streets. but your later comment
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In all honesty, i've gotten used to the high spring rates...
mind you, the roads here are pretty smooth.</TD></TR></TABLE>
made me believe you were.

but like i said, if its working good for you, great.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:18 PM

I'm glad we've settle our differences
i should clarify that I dont recommend those rates for street, unless you've got smooth roads there.

I apologize if i confused anyone.

Modified by Eclypz at 3:35 PM 1/5/2005
Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a separate part # for koni-specific GC sleeves - you shouldnt need an adapter</TD></TR></TABLE>

This may not be good. I don't think I specified Koni Specific. Their page also mentions

"* $10 per corner additional for billet aluminum Koni or Bilstein adapters"
Old 01-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

actually, i believe they now offer a completely different sleeve option specifically for the konis. and judging by this pic of them installed (along with some other lesser known goodies from GC), you can see where the extra $10 is coming from.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (LSVTEC_DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTEC_DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who also sells this? For DC chassis? </TD></TR></TABLE>

god damn some people are lazy... click that f'ing link, click the link for products, and click the eg/dc one. blamo! be sure you have someone hold your dick while you're at it, it's pretty wild stuff!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (LSVTEC_DC2R)

400/500 is usually a great place to start. The good thing about most coilovers and sleeves, is that you can swap out for different rates anytime. I first started with OTS rates at 450 front 350 rear. Then swapped to a 500 rear, and noticed a great difference in rotation and feel. Now I'm at 500 front 550 and am content with this for awhile. On road courses, I feel I could run a higher rate, but I also daily drive. THe Buddy Club dampers I run will handle a higher rate too....so, we may try a 600/700 setup pretty soon and see whats up.

And I believe H&R uses a Koni Yellow, err, Koni shock that is valved to match the spring rates and is non adjustable. My buddy has them on his GSR, pretty nice setup!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">400/500 is usually a great place to start. The good thing about most coilovers and sleeves, is that you can swap out for different rates anytime.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, thats always good - went from from 375/450 to 450/475 to 475/600 on my 91 integra... then ran out of time/money and sold the car before I could get the shocks revalved and go 600/900
Old 01-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">400/500 is usually a great place to start. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep that's where i started and i'm very happy with it. it's working great right now, i plan to keep it as is for a while and eventually start to gradually increase the rates and experiment.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Track Suspension Thoughts and ? (jwn7)

This thread has turned out to be amazing, thank you all.

To recap.
Koni Yellow and GC 400/500.
Rear sway - Comptech

My car has no front sway at the moment, and you can really tell. I feel like I can read a book between the time I turn the wheel and the car begins to turn-in. What size and brand of front bar would you all reccomend with the listed spring-rate and rear bar that would increase turn in, but not induce horrific understeer?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Necessity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thread has turned out to be amazing, thank you all.

To recap.
Koni Yellow and GC 400/500.
Rear sway - Comptech

My car has no front sway at the moment, and you can really tell. I feel like I can read a book between the time I turn the wheel and the car begins to turn-in. What size and brand of front bar would you all reccomend with the listed spring-rate and rear bar that would increase turn in, but not induce horrific understeer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are lots of ways to get a bit more rotation, just off the top of my head:
get either a bigger rear or a smaller front sway
stiffer rear springs
more tire pressure in the rear.

I say try picking up an OEM front to go with the above mentioned and see how the car handles first.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should look into asr racing's reinforcement kit for their ek. you can also get the package that comes with a 22mm itr rear sway. im considering one in the near future. http://www.a-spec-racing.com/product2.php as for your front sway, i would also look into a stock si sway which is 26mm.